Respected Contributor

I am not one of the "young" ones but I like the transition to more casual clothing..

I don't care for highly structured, conservative fashions. Been there. Done that. 40 years in the work force and now that I am retired I can indulge my fun side.

...and BTW, class is not determined by how conservatively you dress

Respected Contributor

I'm 67 years old, so I can't wear all the styles that are out there these days. (Yes, I know, some women say, "The heck with age.") Let's just say that even if I were younger, I would not wear some of the styles that are out there these days.

I was recently looking around online for a particular type of blouse. Everywhere I went, I saw an excessive amount off-the-shoulder tops and cold-shoulder tops. There is a time and place for everything, but I'm seeing girls wearing off-the-shoulder tops in business offices around here. IMO, that is just plain tacky.

When I was looking online, I also saw many very short shorts. Wow...when the cheeks show from the back, you know the shorts are too short...at least from my perspective.

I don't remember what designer I saw on tv one day who said, "When did leggings become pants?" Leggings are everywhere. They used to be worn with long tunic-style tops or short dresses. Now they are wearing them with short T-shirts. Women used to wear a style only if it enhanced their figure. Now, everyone from 90 pounds to 290 pounds are wearing leggings. To each her own, I guess, but whatever happened to modesty and dressing to enhance your figure? Maybe they need to bring back that tv show, "What Not to Wear."

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

I agree with the fact that the Q doesn't really do a good job of presenting classic fashionable clothes.  I tend to shop other sites if I want something for work or a special occasion.  

But I do notice also that people tend to dress much more casual now then ever before.  And a number of them dress like slobs.  I wonder if they look in the mirror before they leave home.

Lisa was one of a kind when it comes to fashion and obviously they haven't been able to find someone with her fashion taste.  She was classic.   Even the woman who replaced her with the GILI line doesn't have a good sense fashion, in my opinion.  

Esteemed Contributor

I liked the styles of the 40's and 50's, with fitted dresses and skirts, though I doubt they were too comfortable.

I think part of the casual - ness of today is that many people weigh more than they should.  This means clothes have to be made out of stretch materials and have deigns that "cover" or "hide" what you don't want to be seen.  That plus the fact that everyone wants to be comfortable, myself included, and high "fashion" kind of goes out the window.  I am okay with all of this.  It is what it is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I don't think Lisa R. Had much to do with what QVC sold. I think people tend to want to dress casual. BUT at the same time they do not care how they look in the casual clothes. Not everyone should wear leggings or the so-called yoga pants. Just look at wha QVC put Jackie in during the noon show. Very unflattering. Everything she wore was at least one size too small. It was a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

Comfortable can be casual or dressy!!  Just depends on how the garments are put together!!  

I do think there is a place for sloppy and a place for really fancy...probably not the same location though....

Trusted Contributor

I feel that we have all become very casual and I miss the days when we were able to dress dressier!  I used to dress so much better when I went to church for instance about  10 or 12 years ago but now I am more casual too because if I did dress as I did in the past I would look totally out of place!

I am not exactly sure why this has happened.  It may be that too many workout clothes are being shown.  I see a lot of people walking around looking like they are going to or coming from the gym!!

One friend said she likes to dress like that because she does not want too much ironing!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Well, I for one, am glad that dress is so much more casual than they were back when women were expected to dress conservatively and certain things were just a no for going out in public.  What some call frumpy or sloppy is probably just comfy casual and not sloppy at all and just current.  It is possible to wear conservative clothing and be frumpy sloppy also which is not a great look either!  I don't care what anyone wears just so they are nice, honest and decent people who treat others well!!!  I wouldn't hang out with anyone who makes it known they think I am frumpy and sloppy because I dress very casually for comfort.  Always clean, pressed and neat even if just sweats.

As for clothing here - well seems to me that there are only so many conservative  supposed "classy" styles and the choices will always be boring and repititous without getting into the more edgy fashions that many want.  Times have changed. 

That son of one of the OP's friends will never be satisfied - no matter how wonderful a person this girl is so he just better move on and find someone he won't be "ashamed" to be seen with anywhere!! She also should run fast and far from such a judgmental person as he seems to want a fashion showpiece!! 

Honored Contributor

QVC isn't the only place to shop.  There's the mall, other shopping channels, and an almot infinite number of online shopping choices.

If I don't like what someone is selling, I don't go there to shop!

Honored Contributor

@JCF

I'm not sure why you didn't put this in the Fashion section, where people discuss fashion, but what the heck.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy anything BUT casual clothing from a shopping channel.   If I wanted something very dressy or good quality business clothing, I would get it at a B&M store, where I could try it on, check things out in a 3 way mirror and not have to worry about exchanges and returns.   JMO