Honored Contributor

Re: Fascination with new cars

@silentgirl wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@silentgirl

ITA.  

Lexus makes some of the best vehicles out there. Hands down.

I could say 'best luxury vehicle', but I'm in Dallas.

Our definition of luxury is different. TONS of uber-luxury vehicles.  

One can throw a stick & hit (hopefully not!) a $400,000+

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti.

With all these 'Thoroughbreds' around,

they make my Lexus look like a dumpy Shetland Pony!! 

A lot of people appreciate these expensive machines 

much like a work of art. Beautiful machinery. 

I understand their fascination with cars. 

I love photographing them 'in the wild!!'

Hey,  a Texas girl!  Enjoyable post @sidsmom......thanx

My dad lived in Houston for awhile, not as cosmopolitan as Dallas, but a good city....my sister went to school there, she taught me to have big hair, I never gave it up! Some of the prettiest women I've seen were in that state...

Lexus has the best cabin environment  for sound...you just can't get that in a Lamborghini !  Smiley Wink

@silentgirl

Awwww, lovely! I have to say I agree and...thank you!!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am one of those people who loves a new car.  I lease and get a new car every 3 years or so. i know i will always have a car payment and i know its not the best decision financially but it makes me happy so i do it. My husband buys cars for life. he just sold a 1992 Buick that was starting to have problems.  he bought a new truck that he will probably keep for 10 years.  I just love cars, always have. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

So?  It's okay for you to buy a new vehicle but no one else should...?   You could have bought a pre-owned suv.   Why didn't you?   I know people who trade in their  cars every year, they want new.   So what?   I trade in every 4 or 5 years and I always...always buy a new car.  Hubby trades in his suv every 3 years and he always buy s new too.   I think about what make of  car I want,  how much of a monthly payment I want to pay and what color I want.  I think about how good it feels to drive around town in a spanking brand new car.....for that first month.   And then the thrill is gone.

Haha...yeah about the time the first payment is due. I love having no payments but I drive my vehicles for long periods and then trade them in. I do hate payments but after 10-12 years you have to factor in expensive repairs will be coming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Some people, my dad, seem to get that new car bug and it becomes an obsession until they trade.  My dad just traded a perfectly good 3 yr old Honda CRV for another of the same.  All his car needed was to be detailed. I don't understand it.

Don't care if my car is new or not.  

My Requirements:

~ I must really like it

~ Must be good to drive, handles well, hugs the road, fun to drive

~ Gotta' have front wheel drive

~ Don't want a huge gas guzzler

~ Straight shift

Currently, and until it absolutely stops running, I drive a 1997 850 Volvo, 5 cylinder, transverse mounted engine, 5 speed, @ 40 MPG.  Has had 2 batteries, 2 sets of tires, 110,000 miles. Nothing else except oil changes, etc.   I LOVE her.

The same mechanic has always worked on her and every time I go in he tries to buy her from me!  Not happening.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've been buying or leasing our (American) cars from the same dealer for many years.  My husband's car is leased through his business and gets turned in every 3 years.  He owns a sporty number he bought himself for a milestone birthday.  He loves that car (they no longer make the model) and will have it forever.

Every so many years my husband will say it's time to trade in my car.  The owner of the dealership knows I like full size sedans so it's just a matter of me choosing the color. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people love their cars, some love their Dooney bags or Chloe bags, or whatever, some care about fashion or jewelry, some spend on travel, many set aside a good amount for charities, and so on. You don't care about cars. Fine. Great. I don't care about the latest electronic gadgets that others seem to require. I can't imagine why anyone would buy a camper and drive all over the country. That's ok. It's personal. There is no right or wrong as long as you do what you enjoy, are not hurting anyone, and can afford it. 

Valued Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

I'm totally fascinated with cars-always have been-in fact, my engagement ring to the first man in my life was a car not a ring-I gave it back when we broke up...

My second engagement....another man....yup, no engagement ring, a car, didn't last but I kept that one!

I'm just over the moon nuts about cars-I'm not much for stuff, but I love cars-When I'm really stressed I can spend from sun up to sun down detailing a vehicle.  That would include the engine!  Yup...it's a sickness.

We tend to be the same about our cars as we are about the breed of dog we love...we tend to gravitate to the same thing......

Lexus and Lincoln make really fine looking vehicles-Remember that cool Lincoln commercial when they came out with their SUV's with the woman breaking her heels off to make driving shoes? Really sexy- I loved that commercial!

We are pretty outdoor active and on the road a great deal so we have stayed with Volvo the last many years-

Purchased the XC90 new then the mice invaded it at 6 years old and ate all 22 computers in it-the car locked all the doors, wouldn't allow entry and that's all she wrote-Very sad-I still miss it....

Replaced it with a new XC60-I like it, spunky, handsome, miss the space of the XC90 but didn't like the new designs-My husband drives a Volvo wagon we purchased in Sweden-has over 300,000 miles on it.  He totally needs to upgrade, but won't because now, it's a thing to see how many miles he can get out of it!

My BMW roadster M is 15 years old (an anniversary gift all those years ago) now and only has 22,000 miles on it, I rarely have time to drive it in the east during the warm months- 

I drove my BMW 735 for 15 years....I loved that car! We have an old 1968 Volvo that looks like a little gangster car...picked it up from a European dealer a few years back. A splurge, (a gift to my husband) all original, beautiful condition...really fun to drive...

We buy new, always maintain our vehicles with Volvo, and the intention of driving them a lifetime....we never worry much about trade in value....because when we finally make our choice, we always love them so much, we figure we'll drive them until we can't....

I say do your homework and just purchase the best you can afford...Doesn't always need to be new to be safe and dependable and what you want...

My kind of gal!! I think I found my twin.

Ha!  It's always good to know we aren't alone in the world! Smiley Wink