Honored Contributor

Re: Fascination with new cars

@151949 I'm glad you are not going to let DH influence your decision when you buy a car that you'll be driving.  You seem far more practical. One thing I've noticed about some of the wealthy business owners in my part of the world is that they buy expensive vehicles but keep them a long time.  Perhaps because in business, they don't replace a new machine because they want to impress anyone; they replace things when the old things start breaking and it makes sense to upgrade.

Respected Contributor

Why begrudge what people choose to do? You don't have to pay for it.

Many people enjoy their cars or want the latest safety features. That's why they have new cars for us to buy should the need or desire rise. Shrug.

Honored Contributor

This morning our car had to go to the bodyshop for repairs after DH hit a deer last week. Our insurance pays for a rental car and DH had arranged for a Chev Impala - a full size car and he was going to pay the difference out of pocket between what the ins paid and the cost of the big car. So he goes to drop off our car and pick up the rental. They didn't have an Impala and he had to take a smaller Chev cruz. It will save him $30 a day, but he is so upset over this it's unbelieveable. I really don't get why this even matters since to me it is just basic transportation for a week while our car is being fixed, but he is very very upset at having to drive this  small car. Geez , it's not like he weighs 600 pounds  and has to have an extraordinary amount of space. I just don't get the fascination with cars - but I will say this - he knows to not ever complain to me about anything I buy because there are a lot , really a lot of purses and shoes and outfits could be purchased for what he spends on cars (not to mention boats, campers, trucks, tractors he has bought over the years).

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

Why begrudge what people choose to do? You don't have to pay for it.

Many people enjoy their cars or want the latest safety features. That's why they have new cars for us to buy should the need or desire rise. Shrug.

I didn't see anyone begrudge people for choosing a new vehicle. Please explain your remark.

Esteemed Contributor

Back to the OP, who was asking why some desire to buy new cars often as opposed to keeping one for a long time. Just had this discussion with my sister yesterday. She requires new Everything all the time- including cars. She leases and goes way over the allowed mileage; I buy gently used and keep. She could not understand why DS was shipping his 2003 overseas to his new military post.( no cost to him). I tried to explain that the car runs perfectly, is in great shape, is PAID FOR, is small and thrifty on gas. In addition, where he will be stationed the streets are narrow, parking is a challenge and he will likely not be driving many miles daily..

I leased when I was married. Big mistake. I now buy the best vehicle I can afford, loaded with as many extras as possible and keep it until there is just a little "meat left on the bone". Had a 2004 that I bought CPO off lease- three years old. Kept that car until December. Sold it on Craigslist for $5K with 150K + miles on it after eight years. Bough the same make and model 2014 in December, 2015. 30K miles on it., Most every "bell and whistle" and about 40% off the original sticker, which was way out of my champagne taste and soda pop budget . Still under first warranty until probably next spring. The down side- it took me over a year to find what I wanted in my budget, as I was looking for a particular make, model and narrow range of interior and exterior colors on a model that is in more limited production and availability. My annual mileage is below average, so this works for me. Just spoke about cars with my elderly uncle. HIs 2002 sedan is a gem with only 65K miles and kept beautifully. Paid cash for it with his bonus when he retired. Everyone's needs, desires and budgets are different. Nice that we have many options today for new and used cars!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I pay cash for my cars.  Buy new and drive for a long time.  I do not worry about trade-in value just reliability and not having a car payment.  Current car is over 6 years old and has only needed oil changes. 

You are very smart IMO.  Interesting thread that really gives insight.

Honored Contributor

Several factors influence car buying including finances, how much and how far you drive, and whether you really enjoy a new vehicle or not.

If you don't drive more than a few miles, or live in an urban area, it probably doesn't matter to you how comfortable and how many driving assist items as it would to someone who lives in more rural areas, outlying city areas, or drives a lot of longer differences. ANd of course what you expect out of a car--reliability, ride, comfort, parking and side cameras that make driving easier and safer, etc.  

Do you drive around town or lots of interstate miles?  Power and performance then make a difference in driving.  Do you putter along or are you going with the flow?  Do you take very good care of your vehicle or not so much?

When you talk about money, the real cost can be easily figured up:  what you spend initially on the car, what the residual value is, and what the cost per year is.

I put pencil to paper on this really and figured that if you like buying new, you probably are very little, if any, worse to trade often IF you are buying a car that has good trade-in value.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought a new car last month. Mine was a 2005 with 150K miles on it and the transmission was starting to act up. It would have been 3K for a new transmission which, to me, is good money spent on a declining asset. I love that car, but 3K is a good chunk of what I paid for the new car (30K). I feel like I got my money's worth on the old car, and it was time to move on. I paid cash for this car (I always do as I hate to owe money) will now likely drive this one into the ground, too. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

@silentgirl

ITA.  

Lexus makes some of the best vehicles out there. Hands down.

I could say 'best luxury vehicle', but I'm in Dallas.

Our definition of luxury is different. TONS of uber-luxury vehicles.  

One can throw a stick & hit (hopefully not!) a $400,000+

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti.

With all these 'Thoroughbreds' around,

they make my Lexus look like a dumpy Shetland Pony!! 

A lot of people appreciate these expensive machines 

much like a work of art. Beautiful machinery. 

I understand their fascination with cars. 

I love photographing them 'in the wild!!'

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the allure and fascination for new cars has faded over the years. The 50s and 60s were the years many people were stunned with the automobile and all the new it had to offer. Not so much nowadays. The attraction has taken center-stage with all the high-tech stuff and not necessarily the actual vehicle itself.

First thing people ask: "Does it have bluetooth?"