Honored Contributor

Re: Farmers Dumping Milk --Virus Reducing Demand

@wildcat fan wrote:

We usually go through 2 or 3 gallons of milk each week, but have scaled back recently because it's so difficult to find at the store.  

we go through a lot of milk also and now that one daughter is home from college and one son is out of work, we have been using even more. PLUS i make my own yogurt every week. i have been buying milk/half n half/cream from the grocery store and from places like 7 -11 and sams club. i buy whole milk and usually a nut based milk.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

My  cupboards  are full of processed food.........

Trusted Contributor

I heard that milk demand had been down for a few years last summer, when Dean Foods declared bankruptcy.  I thought it was said that Dean was the biggest milk supplier in the country.  I do not think that the virus is what caused a reduction in demand. 

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I saw that on the news and I cringed thinking, of all the kids that need milk and don't have any   Smiley Sad

Why would the virus reduce the demand on milk?

Why,oh why, didn't they donate it somewhere !!!   

@MalteseMomma, from the OP's post:

With milk prices plunging to lows that haven’t been seen in nearly four years, dairy cooperatives are dumping the product to curb an oversupply.

While shoppers are clearing out milk cases at grocery stores, that’s not making up for the closings of restaurants and schools.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Why can't they do the right thing and donate it to someone like Jose Andres and his WCK who provide meals to areas that are in need due to natural disasters like this one. He has kitchens set up all over the US and around the world. The dairy farmers would probably get a charitable deduction on their taxes as well.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

It's a distribution problem. We've all seen how scarce dairy products have been in our local markets.  

I can't drink milk (lactose intolerant) but have had trouble finding other dairy products I can eat.  Even butter!

Esteemed Contributor

Spoiler

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I saw that on the news and I cringed thinking, of all the kids that need milk and don't have any   Smiley Sad

Why would the virus reduce the demand on milk?

Why,oh why, didn't they donate it somewhere !!!   

My thoughts exactly, @MalteseMomma.

One of the food pantries in town had a post on fb, that they were giving away food. And most of it looked like fresh fruits and vegetables, which is great, but I did notice they didn't mention anything about giving away milk. I am hoping the schools here who are delivering lunches to the school kids are giving them milk. Surely they are. 

I know I am not the only one who cannot stand the thought of a child being hungry. It just breaks my heart. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Can't they donate this to one of those foodbanks like Feeding America?  Perhaps lack of refrigeration precudes this.

@depglass I agree.  Also who pays for the pasteurization and other necessary processing?

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Can't they donate this to one of those foodbanks like Feeding America?  Perhaps lack of refrigeration precudes this.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

The milk being dumped is not pasteurized or processed in any way.