Esteemed Contributor

Fan gives bat boy-signed baseball back to Carlile family

I think this is so nice.

For some, nothing beats catching a ball at a baseball game.

Yet, for one Kansas family, their boy’s find is one that they’ll never forget.

A boy retrieved a foul ball this past week at the National Baseball Congress World Series tournament. The boy, Jackson, asked Liberal Bee Jays players to autograph the ball, including batboy Kaiser Carlile.

Kaiser, 9, died after an accident this past week. His story has captured the hearts of millions around the world—including the family of the boy with that foul ball.

Nicki Schmidt Ellison, parent of Jackson, shares on Facebook that her son wanted to do something more. Here’s what she writes on Facebook:

“Proud Momma moment- Jackson retrieved a foul ball last week at the NBC World Series and got autographs from the Liberal Bee Jays, including the bat boy! When I told Jackson about the accident, he said "Oh, you mean Kaiser??" (I had no idea they were on a first name basis, ) When Jackson heard of Kaiser's passing, the first thing he said was "Mom, can we give the autographed baseball to his family?" Tonight, he was able to deliver the ball to the Bee Jays!”

Chad Carlile, Kaiser’s dad, replied to Ellison’s post, saying, “ I am the father of Kaiser and I can't express how much this means! You young man Mr. NICK are an amazing kid and will cherish this memory forever! God bless!”‬

The Ellison family spoke to KAKE News. Nicki Ellison says her son gave the ball without hesitation.

"What he did, it was just what his heart told him what to do and he didn't even think or do anything different and that is what makes you feel the best," Ellison said.

"I gave it to his parents, so they could have something to remember him," young Jackson Ellison said.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Re: Fan gives bat boy-signed baseball back to Carlile family

What a kind and thoughtful thing for Jackson to do.  The story of Kaiser was so heartbreaking.  This little boy understood and gave out of empathy for  Kaiser's family.  I am touched in my heart.  Thank you for posting this.

Esteemed Contributor

Same here @jubilant. Very kind and touching. Makes me proud and restores my faith in the residents of my city.Heart I'm sure it's a kindness Kaiser's parents will never forget.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to Kaiser's online obituary and the online guest book, if any of you would like to offer your condolences to the family. I think it would be a nice thing for them to recieve condolences from people all across the country.

http://www.brennemanfuneralhome.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/12766/id/3263786

Here is the ball and this sweet boy Jackson Ellison who gave the ball to Kaiser's parents.

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful young man.  This brought tears to my eyes and a warmth to my heart, bette.  Thank you for sharing.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

What a beautiful little boy.  I cannot imagine the parents grief.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

What a nice thing to do !

It must be very gratifying for the family to see such an outpouring of love and concern from the community and all over.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
What a nice thing to do !

It must be very gratifying for the family to see such an outpouring of love and concern from the community and all over.

****************************************************************************************

I hope so Lila. I hope it's a comfort to them to know that people everywhere are thinking of them, and praying for them.