Esteemed Contributor

Famous Well Known Older Women You Admire

and  why.

Helen Mirren  -  great actress, style and class

Betty White  -    humor, loves animals

Ruth Bader Ginsburg  -  Intelligence and tough as nails,85 still working,survived cancer                                           twice

There are more of course. Oh, and Maxine, not real but love her attitude.

Who would make your list?

Honored Contributor

Re: Famous Well Known Older Women You Admire

Queen Elizabeth: For her selflessness. There were times didn't agree with her actions such as Diana. In the end, She did the right thing. I admired that.

Regular Contributor

She' dead now but... Ellinor Roosevelt. She wasn't perfect--even she admitted she hadn't ben a very good mother to her children which I really fault her for -- but she did try to do so much good in the world and worked hard for peace. And she dealth with her husband's infidelities with grace and class.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother... for giving me life and love.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Huge Hannah wrote:

She' dead now but... Ellinor Roosevelt. She wasn't perfect--even she admitted she hadn't ben a very good mother to her children which I really fault her for -- but she did try to do so much good in the world and worked hard for peace. And she dealth with her husband's infidelities with grace and class.

One of the first solid progressive thinkers in the 20 century she was ahead of her time. Google her and see her many accomplishments she has made in the world. 

Honored Contributor

The woman I see in my mirror is doing a heck of a good job.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Eleanor Roosevelt. Thought of her plus so many others came to mind it was hard to chose.  Dian Fossey, deceased, conservationist for work to study mountain gorillas. She's not older but, Amal Clooney for her work on behalf of human rights.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me it was (and still is) Barbara Bush. Definitely my idol.  And being about 20% British, I allso admire Queen Elizabeth. She has lived a life of luxury, but not an easy life, and she has done it with class and dignity.  For anyone interested there's a wonderful full page photoof Barbara Bush in the Holiday Issue of Southern Living wth a nice article by her granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager.

And my 4th grade teacher at Oakhurst Elementary School in Decatur, Georgia, Miss Emily White. She took the time to work with a shy, insecure little girl, shattered by a divorce, and make her strong again, secure within her own being and unafraid to face the world. God bless this wonderful woman. She is surely an angel now. 

Honored Contributor

Toni Morrison.

Honored Contributor

A few trivial notes on mine-- "respect" probably sums up my feelings a bit more closely than "admiration", when it comes to public figures;  more of mine tend to be dead than not;  there aren't too many of the usual older women who are held up by women's magazines as worthy of admiration, as they tend to be somewhat cut from the same cloth.  

Jeane Kirkpatrick, U.N. Ambassador.  Not just b/c of that though, she was a brilliant foreign policy analyst

Diana Trilling, member of an elite circle of twentieth century New York writers (hubby was Lionel Trilling).  Never subscribed to conventional wisdom, unpredictable, could be piercing, funny, acerbic in her writing and social observations 

Dorothy Rabinowitz, Pulitzer-winning muckraking journalist

Margaret Thatcher, British Prime Minister

Iris Apfel,  style setter