Honored Contributor

Famous R&B Vocalist Lloyd Price Died on May 3

[ Edited ]

Most of us of a certain age, and who latched on to the Rock and Roll phenomenon from its beginning, remember Lloyd Price.  I do not recall seeing a mention of his passing on this forum.  Famous for such hits as "Stagger Lee," "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" and "Personality" as well as being an early icon in popular music, he deserves an acknowledgement of his passing, I believe.  He was 88 when he died on May 3.

Lloyd Price was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.    

Lloyd Price, 'Personality' Hitmaker, Is Dead at 88 - The New York Times

"Stagger Lee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPutYaGFlE

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Famous R&B Vocalist Lloyd Price Died on May 3

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

It's a shame, but I don't think I saw a word about it on the news.

Loved that era of music...loved those songs.

Look at that suit!  Those shoes....impeccable!  Talented and handsome, too.

I miss those times!

Honored Contributor

My sister informed me of Lloyd's passing and also the NY Daily News and my county newspaper had articles .  During the fifties my brother, sister and I were rock and rollers and loved Lloyd Price's music.  Stagger Lee was one of the songs in the great movie, Shag.  Personality was also a huge hit.  

Yes, I am sad to hear of Lloyd Price's passing.  He was a  talented artist and in the Rock and Roll hall of fame which he truly deserves.

Thanks, Lloyd for your music and may he be at peace with God.

Honored Contributor

Witchy Woman,

I should have added that I saw nothing of his passing anywhere other than the lengthy and respectful obituary I read today in The Washington Post.  At least that.  It is sad that such a prominent figure has been forgotten to some extent.

You can't argue with his induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame; that stands no matter what.

I suppose his photo will be included in any upcoming Rock and Roll tributes to those who have recently passed.  I cannot imagine otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

In all fairness, I have not been watching news as much as I normally do (an admitted news junkie Cat LOL).

So, if it was mentioned, I likely missed it.  

Anyway, I do love that music...the sound and feel of it reminds me of watching American Bandstand and teaching myself how to dance.  Then, trying my steps out when we had school dances.

Happy times and happy music.  I'm glad he made it to 88, and left such a wonderful legacy of sound.

Honored Contributor

R.I.P.

R.I.P.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

WitchyWoman and Goldie76!!

As time passes and we become the older generation, many of these great singers, like Lloyd Price, are not known by the younger people.  In my home my mother and family always brought up the forties big bands and singers and while I didn't listen to that music then, I have grown to appreciate it now.  

My sister's granddaughter's know many of the old songs because of my sister and they love them as they do their own music.  The rock and roll and blues artists who paved the way for the future singers including the Beatles and Stones, were greats.  I could name so many but I remember them and their songs live on.  

I'm glad this passing was posted and we were fortunate to have been around when Lloyd did his thing in the music world.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

May Mr Price and his family find Peace.

Not around when Stagger Lee came out, but did Shag (dance) to it’s revival at Cherry Grove.

Good Times!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lloyd Price music in Shag soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erB4cbjIdx8

Esteemed Contributor

I had not heard of his passing.  It's sad that it was not more widely reported.  I remember Personality and Stagger Lee.  May he rest in peace.

@golding76 - thanks for posting.