Esteemed Contributor

Re: Family of Boy who fell from Ride Sues

When an adult accepts the responsibility of being a chaperon(agent) of a party(event) for minors that is alcohol free. It was found that alcohol was being consumed by a minor(s).

The chaperon(agent) there is the only one of legal age, and alcohol was found having been consumed by a minor/minors.Who is held responsible when this activity has been proven to have occurred?

I was personally involved in a very similar situation and know who was arrested and taken to jail. The options were to sign saying they would appear in court/pay a fine/or be held for 48 hours, and accept a court date.

Comments of legality in my state at that time.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   I am not following.  Are you saying the adults with Tyre allowed minors to drink?  Or are you speaking in general?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

I'm probably in the minority on this, but the boy himself bears some  responibility for his own death. He knew he exceeded the height and weight limits for the ride; his size was the principal reason that the harness couldn't be properly fastened, He chose to ride anyway. He had already been refused admission on several other rides in the park due to his size. The ride's operator should never have let him ride when he couldn't properly fasten the harness, though, and for that the park can be held liable. If this should go to trial, I'm sure the defense attorneys for the park will bring up the size issue since an inspection of the ride did not find mechanical failure with the equipment. My guess is that this suit will be settled out of court because the park will offer the family a good-sized payment to avoid bad publicity. There comes a time when people have to start accepting responsibility for the consequences that come with their own bad choices.

@Buffalogal47   I believe the weight requirement was not posted for this ride.

Tyre was all of 14 years old.  Whether he was rejected for other rides is not an issue.  Not all rides have the same requirements, be it for height and/or weight.

14 years old. 

I've seen more sympathy here for adults making idiotic decisions which have cause harm to themselves and/or others.

Including the grandfather who dropped his toddler to her death on the cruise.

Just an example and just sayin'.

Honored Contributor

"Bad publicity" is not an issue here.  These amusement parks continue to operate steadily at an awesome profit.

Rides at various 6 Flags have resulted in deaths and yet 6 Flags continues to be open and some of those rides are still operating.

Honored Contributor

I am not making a comment about responsibility or blame.  This is a comment in general.

People choose to go on these rides.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@hckynutjohn   I am not following.  Are you saying the adults with Tyre allowed minors to drink?  Or are you speaking in general?

@Cakers3 

The adult(s) excepted the (legal ?)responsibility of overseeing the minor child(children), and their actions. 

You pay a person to walk your dog. That person is your agent, and the dog bites someone. Who is responsible, you or your agent?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am not making a comment about responsibility or blame.  This is a comment in general.

People choose to go on these rides.  

@Sooner  Same as when someone chooses to drive and someone kills them in a car accident. They chose to drive.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3 

The adult(s) excepted the (legal ?)responsibility of overseeing the minor child(children), and their actions. 

You pay a person to walk your dog. That person is your agent, and the dog bites someone. Who is responsible, you or your agent?

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn   I understand your point in general.

I was asking if the minors with Tyre were drinking.  I was confused if you meant that tragedy.  I had not read anything about the minors in Tyre's group drinking.

Honored Contributor

of course they did...

Esteemed Contributor

Good for them.

I hope that they receive millions upon untold millions in compensation for the gross misconduct and negligence.