Trusted Contributor

Re: Family of Boy who fell from Ride Sues

@Vivian wrote:

It's my understanding that the very obese teen was over the size limit posted on the ride. He had been denied admission by one employee but there was one numbskull who  adjusted the seat and harness to accommodate the girth of the kid. That's why he fell through. I do think there's culpability here. I don't think that a family who lost a son was out to scam the system.

The size limit was not posted, and he was not denied admission to the ride.

“All unsolicited advice is self-serving.”
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3  I didn't say it was completely his fault. The boy was 14, not 4. And according to his family, he was pretty smart. At least smart enough to know he couldn't properly close the harness. So he does bear some responsiblity for his bad choice. The ride operator also knew that the harness wasn't properly fastened, but he let the boy ride anyway. He should have told the boy that he had to get off, but for some reason, he didn't. Possibly the child intimidated him. He was a big kid and we all know that sometimes teenagers can be very belligerent and intimidating.  But even if that were the case, the ride operator should have refused to start the ride and should have called park security to have the boy removed. So, yeah, the employee had a large share of the responsibility.

If this case does go to trial it will be interesting to get the full story.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 YOU DONT!

Honored Contributor

Well if we're making up stories to smear the victim...claiming he might have been some 14 year old mad killer who threatened and intimidated the ride operator into allowing him to ride without the safety equipment attached, we should also make up stories to smear the ride operator and the park. Just to be balanced.

Maybe the operator had personal biases and hate in his heart and deliberately tampered with the equipment and murdered the boy. Maybe the operator was drunk and high on crystal meth and was hallucinating the whole time. Maybe the the whole park is run by a den of drug dealers.

If that all sounds like a stretch and a bit hateful, so does smearing the victim in the same way. That's why you don't do it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

While we all feel sorry for the family and certainly the young man who lost his life, it's important to remember that when lawsuits of this nature are settled, the rest of us are the ones who wind up paying.  The business being sued will have their insurance company settle.  Please remember, insurance companies are in the business to make money.  When they suffer a loss of that $$, they try to make it up by charging increased premiums for the rest of their clients.  That's you and me.

Not saying the lawsuit is not valid.  Just saying that our emotions shouldn't get in the way here.  

No amount of money will bring this child back. Big businesses are already cognizant of legal ramifications of these kinds of mistakes.  They usually pay high insurance premiums AND stress this situation to their employees. Did the ride operator not listen or did the business slack off in warning their employees that rules must be followed for safety purposes or business will get sued??  Don't know.

My opinion is that lawsuits of this nature should be *reasonably* settled.  Exhorbitant amounts, and we've all seen ridiculous ones, are what I'm against.  Sometimes folks applaud the ridiculously expensive settlements thinking it's "sticking it to the man."  Reality being that the rest of us are actually the ones paying for it.

@Kalli 

Totally agree. I spent a lot of years paying insurance rates based on my age and marital status. No accidents, but since I was single and my mother didn't drive?

Base my rates on my driving record? Nah, just my age, wasn't 25/I wasn't married, and my mom didn't drive. Fact my accident record was zero(and at 82 still is), meant zip to insurance companies. I was in a group and I either got married or turned 25, period.

I got married at 63. Hope you are still riding and enjoying life.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Cakers3  I didn't say it was completely his fault. The boy was 14, not 4. And according to his family, he was pretty smart. At least smart enough to know he couldn't properly close the harness. So he does bear some responsiblity for his bad choice. The ride operator also knew that the harness wasn't properly fastened, but he let the boy ride anyway. He should have told the boy that he had to get off, but for some reason, he didn't. Possibly the child intimidated him. He was a big kid and we all know that sometimes teenagers can be very belligerent and intimidating.  But even if that were the case, the ride operator should have refused to start the ride and should have called park security to have the boy removed. So, yeah, the employee had a large share of the responsibility.

If this case does go to trial it will be interesting to get the full story.

@Buffalogal47 The amusement park and agent had 100% responsibility to keep all patrons safe. A 14 year old that is very smart has zero responsibility. 

Esteemed Contributor

I stand corrected. Size limits were not posted. However, the operators' manual did note limitations for the ride. Someone mentioned that for $22, a seat belt extender could have prevented the tragedy. If nothing else, the case will likely reveal the gaps in safety and responsibility that led to this awful event.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Well if we're making up stories to smear the victim...claiming he might have been some 14 year old mad killer who threatened and intimidated the ride operator into allowing him to ride without the safety equipment attached, we should also make up stories to smear the ride operator and the park. Just to be balanced.

Maybe the operator had personal biases and hate in his heart and deliberately tampered with the equipment and murdered the boy. Maybe the operator was drunk and high on crystal meth and was hallucinating the whole time. Maybe the the whole park is run by a den of drug dealers.

If that all sounds like a stretch and a bit hateful, so does smearing the victim in the same way. That's why you don't do it.

@Porcelain   You have good points to make but your over exaggeration here and with your parachute remark in your first post really detracts from your points and makes you less credible.