Honored Contributor

Family in FL Support Group

[ Edited ]

Okay I just have to vent for a bit.  

My mother and her husband decided to ride out the storm just north of Orlando.  She has three kids with houses 6 hours away that she regularly drives back and forth to.  For whatever reason, she decides to experience her first hurricane and not come see us.

My response, "Go ahead.  You'll learn."  I went through Andrew.  She's heard the horror stories.  But, Sophia Petrillo is who I grew up with so I figure she'll get a nice scare and never do it again.

She's now texting my sisters and I telling us how she doesn't want to be without power so as soon as the storm is over, they are going to come up.  Smiley Surprised  I told her if she got on the road the minute the storm passed over, I would hire a sniper and take her out myself.  Going out right after the storm is the #1 way people die. 

Parents!!!  Argh!!!!  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Family in FL Support Group

@Laura14 wrote:

Okay I just have to vent for a bit.  

My mother and her husband decided to ride out the storm just north of Orlando.  She has three kids with houses 6 hours away that she regularly drives back and forth to.  For whatever reason, she decides to experience her first hurricane and not come see us.

My response, "Go ahead.  You'll learn."  I went through Andrew.  She's heard the horror stories.  But, Sophia Petrillo is who I grew up with so I figure she'll get a nice scare and never do it again.

She's now texting my sisters and I telling us how she doesn't want to be without power so as soon as the storm is over, they are going to come up.  Smiley Surprised  I told her if she got on the road the minute the storm passed over, I would hire a sniper and take her out myself.  Going out right after the storm is the #1 way people die. 

Parents!!!  Argh!!!!  Smiley Frustrated

I feel your pain! 

What happens to the common sense they raised us with? 

It seems to reduce with age for some of us!

Prayers she will be safe, and that you won't bust a valve dealing with her! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  I don't know!  It's a wonder we turned out okay, isn't it?  I just know I'm going to start on heavy meds and not for physical needs.  

Esteemed Contributor

MOMS....ya gotta love 'em!!!!!

Image result for animated sophia petrillo on golden girls
Respected Contributor

People just assume roads will be passable. Didn't we just watch Texans wading down roads?
Honored Contributor

Hello @Laura14.   The good thing is she probably won't be able to get out even if she wants to. I hope she has lots of water and something to eat.

Deep breaths girlfriend! 

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

It's not just parents, it can be adult children.  My friend has a daughter who is hovering around 40, she has a teen and a pre-teen.  Granted, their relationship has been a little strained lately but they still talk.  My friend suggested that her daughter pack up the car and drive up here a week ago.  We all know people who did that.  Her daughter fiddled and diddled and even told some whopper lies to justify staying.  She just didn't want to leave her house and worse than that, she didn't want to leave her work because she was afraid if she took off, her boss would be mad.  So, she spent vaualble time helping her boss secure that building and calling clients.  She didn't get her own windows boarded because the guys she knew who she thought would help, left .  Her boss also left and called the few fools at the office to tell them to go home to their familes and stay safe.  Her area was deserted, the shelters had mile long lines.  When they last talked, she said she and the kids would come up here when things were over.    My friend doesn't know where they were going or where they ended up.  She's sue her daughter made few if any real preparations, probably jumped in the car with a half a tank of gas.   You can't figure some people out, you can't figure what is going on in their minds.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks all!  Heart  

I did a walk around my block to calm down and put the phone away before I threw it.  

@shell garden That was exactly what I needed!  Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree  I hope that girl is okay.

You know I'm not sure if I'm really mad because of her bad storm decisions or the fact that I inherited half of these genes.  

Honored Contributor

@travelerYou're so right.  Roads in many areas could be impassable for days, but even if they're passable that doesn't mean there's gasoline for long trips or even the other usual traveler's assists.  Police and other responders are all apt to be dealing with real needs -  not those of someone too wimpy to live a couple of days without power!  The wimps should have left.

And that's why I sympathize with @Laura14.  Please, if you can even get through to your mom, unless she's really in dire straits, urge her not to be selfish and put herself and others in even more danger by getting on the roads too soon.  I do think she will lose power or maybe already has, but if she did any of the preparation were advised to do, north of Orlando she may not be in a storm surge area and should be okay for a few days. 

Lots of Floridians are going to have wind and rain and power issues, but the worst as with any of these huge storms are those who get flooded-  by surges, by excess rain, or eve by having their roofs blown away.  I don't know the Orlando region terribly well, but it sure didn't sound as if Disney was expecting fearful flooding.  The parks are closed, but not the hotels!