Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder when I read that people say they have been "quarantined" for a particular time period.  I wonder what they mean by "quarantine" as I have heard people say they are "quarantined" but they still go out to the supermarket, get curbside food pick up, and in some instances they have family members coming to visit, family members who have been "quarantined" but go to the supermarket, Lowe's, the drugstore.

That's not quarantine.

I agree completely.

I've said this before but I'll say it again: people are not isolating properly, are not following mask and distance guidelines, and are lying about it. My NYC friend had a car accident while upstate, socializing, unprotected, with friends. Yet he says to me, "I'm in lockdown." I reminded him of where he was calling from and that he wouldn't have a $5K car repair bill to face if he actually had been in lockdown, but I didn't want to rub his nose in it. He's exposed himself to dozens if not scores of people through this, yet to hear him tell it, he's "in lockdown."

Anyone who takes someone's word on whether they've been "quarantining" or "in lockdown" should really rethink that strategy. It's also unwise to treat family members who live separately as somehow more trustworthy than casual acquaintances. People are substituting their own judgment and comfort levels in making decisions, and have decided they're accountable to no one but themselves.

We need N95s. If we had a good supply, many of these conversations would be mooted. The at-risk could protect themselves, and the only people who'd have issues are those who can't or won't wear an N95 properly, which I'd hope would be a small percentage.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I wonder when I read that people say they have been "quarantined" for a particular time period.  I wonder what they mean by "quarantine" as I have heard people say they are "quarantined" but they still go out to the supermarket, get curbside food pick up, and in some instances they have family members coming to visit, family members who have been "quarantined" but go to the supermarket, Lowe's, the drugstore.

That's not quarantine.

@QueenDanceALot 

we are not calling it a quarantine in maryland.

we are calling it a "stay at home order" or "safer at home" mandate.

i have been the one primarily doing the shopping and errands and going to get curbside or carryout pickup.

i have also been in to work on and off, but work mostly from home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

No different than those who got together in that swimming pool as I'm sure they're all first and second cousins.  Not considered disobeying the social distancing order when you're with family in the Ozarks. 

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

That's not quarantine.

I agree completely.

I've said this before but I'll say it again: people are not isolating properly, are not following mask and distance guidelines, and are lying about it. My NYC friend had a car accident while upstate, socializing, unprotected, with friends. Yet he says to me, "I'm in lockdown." I reminded him of where he was calling from and that he wouldn't have a $5K car repair bill to face if he actually had been in lockdown, but I didn't want to rub his nose in it. He's exposed himself to dozens if not scores of people through this, yet to hear him tell it, he's "in lockdown."

Anyone who takes someone's word on whether they've been "quarantining" or "in lockdown" should really rethink that strategy. It's also unwise to treat family members who live separately as somehow more trustworthy than casual acquaintances. People are substituting their own judgment and comfort levels in making decisions, and have decided they're accountable to no one but themselves.

We need N95s. If we had a good supply, many of these conversations would be mooted. The at-risk could protect themselves, and the only people who'd have issues are those who can't or won't wear an N95 properly, which I'd hope would be a small percentage.

N95 masks are available through construction supply outlets.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

From HuffPost:

surge of coronavirus infections in Alabama didn’t deter people from descending on the state’s beaches over Memorial Day weekend, according to local media reports.

Footage that CNN aired on Monday’s broadcast of “Anderson Cooper 360” showed Gulf Shores beach busy with people. None wore masks, per CNN national correspondent Gary Tuchman, and those interviewed were defiant in the face of the virus that’s killed more than 550 people in the state. Alabama eased lockdown restrictions on Friday. 

Almost 100,000 people have now died from the virus nationwide.

Restaurants, bars and stores in the city were also busy, with many visitors failing to observe social distancing measures. Some restaurant staff did also not wear masks, according to CNN.

“My family has the same mindset as me,” one man on the beach told Tuchman. “We kind of just agreed that if we get it, we get it, we’re going to handle it as a family and just get over it because that’s what family does.”

One woman said: “Everybody has got to go somehow. I don’t want to die but, I mean, if that’s what God has in store for my life, then that’s OK.”

Others falsely likened COVID-19 to seasonal influenza and suggested “there’s enough wind and air that’s going to clear it out of the way” on the beach ― claims that Tuchman debunked.

Another man cited...refusal to wear a mask, “If he’s not wearing a mask, I’m not going to wear a mask,” said the man. “If he’s not worried, I’m not worried.”

I saw this report on that channel over the weekend. Wish I could say more about it, but it was just very sad. And very other things...

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen any family members since all this started. Can't visit my Dad. My brother has diabetes so we don't get together at all. My other brother, well he wasn't in my life before all of this because he's toxic.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

N95 masks are available through construction supply outlets.  

I can't find them, or when I do, the website says their supplies are allocated to health care, etc.

Respected Contributor

Same thing here minus the pool. Neighbors had a big cookout. Cars & people everywhere, no masks no distance. I just cannot understand why people are so stupid. Unfortunately more will die but some people think only old people die they would recover.

In stores signs on doors going in masks required but there are lots of people with no masks.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I don't know what the definition of "Big" is for the OP.  I will just give my opinion.

I live in an area of Michigan that is far from opening up.  My kids and all of their friends have been home since March 13.  That is 10 weeks and we are under stay at home order until June 12 (at the earliest but I expect it to be extended again).  That will make 13 weeks.  At this point since all of our families have been quarantining, I have no problem with family get togethers, if that was what the pool party was for.  If the party was for the whole neighborhood, that is a different story.

My kids have been telling me how much they miss their grandma who only lives 10 minutes away.  She is missing them as well.  This past week I have lifted my own restrictions to allow them to get together.  

I don't believe waiting for the vacine is the answer.  Even Dr Fauci has spoken out against extended lockdowns.  There are many things I'm not ready to do but some I need for my sole right now - a gym, haircut, a night out to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary, the ability to use the new camper I bought but can't because campgrounds are closed for another month.  Basically I've gotten to the point of enough is enough and I don't want to be locked down all summer.

@mimomof4, the OP mentioned "friends" were at the pool party.

The events you would love to have happen are not yet available in your area; is that what you're saying?

When they do and you can participate, would you then quarantine yourself afterwards?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I heard more details today on the news how Taiwan only had 7 deaths and no more than a little over 400 tested positive!

Isn't that amazing?And even being close to China!

They said they have been preparing for a pandemic for 17 years because of their deadly experience with Sars.

So they do incredible amounts of contact tracing.

They showed large screens that trace the infected and people going through the kinds of things you do at stations all while wearing masks and or shields.

They have check in points, all kinds of technology.

And they did not close schools or stores.

They are so far above any other countries, though there was another successful one, forget which one.

When asked if they thought their citizens were more compliant with rules, the one being interviewed said no not at all. But still everything looked so organized.

I'm glad for them but it just showed what a vast difference in preparedness. Oh they also had stocked years in advance for every medical and ppe supplies they needed.

I thought, we could have shared all that knowledge with them and other countries could have too.

There was a difference with th polio vaccines where everyone shared internationally-knowledge and supplies.

Well, we have to deal with the hand we were dealt the very best we can now, but I found this whole report 

just so mindblowing that there could be such a difference in results.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"