Honored Contributor

CrazyDaisy,

You see what you want to see.

Have you ever heard of deductive reasoning?  Of extrapolation?  There are all sorts of avenues to arriving at understandings.

Your mind is closed, and I am closing any further discussion with someone who is unable to be rational.  I cannot tolerate irrationality.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

CrazyDaisy,

Have you ever heard of deductive reasoning?  Of extrapolation?  There are all sorts of avenues to arriving at understandings.

Your mind is closed, and I am closing any further discussion with someone who is unable to be rational.  I cannot tolerate irrationality.

I am very well versed in many types of statistical analysis, which is why I can say that there is very little science involved in the numbers he is using.  You apparently see what you want to see in the article, so enjoy your day.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  ......  Did  I misunderstand the OP? I thought they said the ones having the family get together were 59, 60 and 61. "Younger generation"?

Honored Contributor

I think we can be quite certain that no one who is attending these parties and announcing that they are going to live their lives and if they get sick so be it and if they die they die aren't going to be self-quarantining after attending such parties.

There is no concern there for the possibility of becoming a roaming virus spreader.  They're either too dumb to understand that or they just don't give a you know what.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

CrazyDaisy,

I am very well versed in many types of statistical analysis, which is why I can say that there is very little science involved in the numbers he is using.  You apparently see what you want to see in the article, so enjoy your day.

If we don't have data from testing, how do you think this should be addressed? Without data, what is the option, other than an educated guess?  You can't have it both ways.  

Honored Contributor

for those people who are carriers, but are not ill or showing any symptoms.......how are you going to avoid them when you get back to living a normal life? they can be strangers, co workers, friends, family, even spouses.  even keeping a mask on, washing your hands constantly, and staying six feet apart does not guarantee you will NOT get the virus yourself.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

CrazyDaisy,

If we don't have data from testing, how do you think this should be addressed? Without data, what is the option, other than an educated guess?  You can't have it both ways.  

The numbers referenced in this particular article is not based on anything other than a death count very early in the spread.  He is then just making assumptions, nothing more. His number have nothing to do with testing, recovery rates, how contagious the virus may be, precautions to mitigate the spread......just a random number of the people who would die if it doubled every 6.5 days.  Typical shock "data" to prove some point.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum -

Yes, we do siilar too. We are families that half live together, caring for grandids but when any of us does something aside from staying home or very strict grocery stuff, we tell each other,

and decide if we should stay away for 14 days.

When My one daughter had her in-laws visit she quarantined herself and son and husband  from the rest of us for 14 days (and not having them come til months later and still haven't come cause the fil is a postal worker).

It does get complicated and wondering how much and when and how long?! to do.

My young nephew in another state was leant a trailer to stay in as a fire fighter and paramedic because he had a newborn and a 2 year old with wife at home and didn't want to expose them. He just got anitbody testing and tested negative or 92% negative from ever having or being exposed to the virus so he is going home today.

If he had been positive, he would have stayed away longer.

I've heard having the virus and then testing negative can take longer than 14 days, more like 3 weeks to stay away to be safe. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Family getting together

[ Edited ]

For general knowledge of all who did not read the full article nor the qualifications/credentials of the writer, he is John M. Barry and is eminently qualified to make the statements he did -- sans froth and fury.  I'm certain this individual stayed very close to the facts.

John M. Barry is author of The Great Influenza: the story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History and a professor at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Are they self isolating for the next two weeks, or will they go out and possible spread contamination to others they may come in contact with? 

Yeah, this is the million dollar question.  I imagine the answer is probably one we hate to hear because if they are being that cavalier about it they will not suddenly develop a sense of responsibility.  Smiley Sad