Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3-

I saw that and am so glad you were able to find the quotes which I thought were shocking, but then I understood how totally opposite people are thinking and going to act during this pandemic no matter what anyone says, unless they get it and like they said die, because "everyone is going to die".

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Let me throw this out there.

When a vaccine is  found, and is made available to the general public, you know that a segment of the population will not get vaccinated for whatever reason.

So, my question is this:

What will the "experts" expect us to do then?

Will they still tell us to stay home, stay away from each other?

All to "protect" those who won't get vaccinated?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

There is obviously no easy, unmessy fix to protect fully those of us who are vigorously and judiciously trying to keep ourselves safe.  Several have commented on the flaws in all approaches and tests.  Yes, they are there.

However, we still must try to prevent the worst-case scenarios by doing our level-best to follow the suggested best practices.  To do otherwise, to my way of thinking, is foolish and dangerous to others. 

In the end, it may all come down to a brutal survival of the fittest, if this tiger cannot be tamed.  This understanding does not give license to those who wish to forge ahead without taking any precautions, though.  Are we our brother's keeper or aren't we?  

It is tough to be inspired when we do not have a national point to inspire us.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Let me throw this out there.

When a vaccine is  found, and is made available to the general public, you know that a segment of the population will not get vaccinated for whatever reason.

So, my question is this:

What will the "experts" expect us to do then?

Will they still tell us to stay home, stay away from each other?

All to "protect" those who won't get vaccinated?

I would think it would be similar to getting vaccinated for anything, like when you get vaccinated for the measles, or small pox, you are not going to get it again, even if other people don't get vaccinated.  

We may have to get booster shots every year if the virus mutates enough. But otherwise we should be able to do anything we want to.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know what the definition of "Big" is for the OP.  I will just give my opinion.

I live in an area of Michigan that is far from opening up.  My kids and all of their friends have been home since March 13.  That is 10 weeks and we are under stay at home order until June 12 (at the earliest but I expect it to be extended again).  That will make 13 weeks.  At this point since all of our families have been quarantining, I have no problem with family get togethers, if that was what the pool party was for.  If the party was for the whole neighborhood, that is a different story.

My kids have been telling me how much they miss their grandma who only lives 10 minutes away.  She is missing them as well.  This past week I have lifted my own restrictions to allow them to get together.  

I don't believe waiting for the vacine is the answer.  Even Dr Fauci has spoken out against extended lockdowns.  There are many things I'm not ready to do but some I need for my sole right now - a gym, haircut, a night out to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary, the ability to use the new camper I bought but can't because campgrounds are closed for another month.  Basically I've gotten to the point of enough is enough and I don't want to be locked down all summer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Family getting together

[ Edited ]

mimom,

I know this sounds odd coming from me, but I hear you.

Wish all this would resolve soon so everyone could have a pleasant and healthy life. 

It's a hard time. 

Honored Contributor

I agree, this is a difficult time. However, I will not take anything for granted and will continue to be careful and try to protect myself as well as others. We all wish this could end but it will not if people don't follow the guidelines. I guess some folks don't realize that their carelessness and recklessness will only make this go on longer. They are gaining nothing. 

Honored Contributor

I wonder when I read that people say they have been "quarantined" for a particular time period.  I wonder what they mean by "quarantine" as I have heard people say they are "quarantined" but they still go out to the supermarket, get curbside food pick up, and in some instances they have family members coming to visit, family members who have been "quarantined" but go to the supermarket, Lowe's, the drugstore.

That's not quarantine.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

For general knowledge of all who did not read the full article nor the qualifications/credentials of the writer, he is John M. Barry and is eminently qualified to make the statements he did -- sans froth and fury.  I'm certain this individual stayed very close to the facts.

John M. Barry is author of The Great Influenza: the story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History and a professor at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

I'm not exactly sure what makes this guy an expert in this or any other virus.  John M. Barry is a historian and an author. He has an honorary doctorate.  He is not a medical doctor.    

Trusted Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I don't know what the definition of "Big" is for the OP.  I will just give my opinion.

I live in an area of Michigan that is far from opening up.  My kids and all of their friends have been home since March 13.  That is 10 weeks and we are under stay at home order until June 12 (at the earliest but I expect it to be extended again).  That will make 13 weeks.  At this point since all of our families have been quarantining, I have no problem with family get togethers, if that was what the pool party was for.  If the party was for the whole neighborhood, that is a different story.

My kids have been telling me how much they miss their grandma who only lives 10 minutes away.  She is missing them as well.  This past week I have lifted my own restrictions to allow them to get together.  

I don't believe waiting for the vacine is the answer.  Even Dr Fauci has spoken out against extended lockdowns.  There are many things I'm not ready to do but some I need for my sole right now - a gym, haircut, a night out to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary, the ability to use the new camper I bought but can't because campgrounds are closed for another month.  Basically I've gotten to the point of enough is enough and I don't want to be locked down all summer.

I so agree I am over it.