Esteemed Contributor

Family getting together

[ Edited ]

My daughter, gave a big pool party Sat.  Friend, family, including my great grand kids.  I didn,t go.  I asked my son why, they didn,t wear mask, or keep distance.  He said, they want to live there lives.  I said maybe death.  This seems to be the norm now.  My daughter 58, sons 59 and 60.  I can,t believe how stupid. 

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition Stupidity is sad, huh? And when one of the family or a guest comes down with the virus, who will get the blame? And odds are someone will. Glad you and DH were smart enough to stay away. And exposing kids to this is criminal in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Are they self isolating for the next two weeks, or will they go out and possible spread contamination to others they may come in contact with? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Family getting together

[ Edited ]

I think this question has been asked before and it certainly pertains to my family, if I have been very strictly in quarantine, and if my family has been very strictly in quarantine, shouldn't we be able to get together with social distancing and without masks?

We had a family picnic a couple of weeks ago and did this in a spot where there was no one even in sight.  All of us back in quarantine and two weeks later nothing has happened.

Has anyone else done this?

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition    It would seem that we, with more experience and wisdom, view this pandemic situation with a different eye than the "younger generation".  I too, don't understand their blase attitude or lack of concern.  I just hope you stay far away from them in the future.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
I don’t know when some people (not just your family) will understand just how selfish, inconsiderate and immature they’re being. I guess maybe when it’s too late and hits close to home.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I agree with you but her children aren't young, late 50's early 60's.

Honored Contributor

From HuffPost:

surge of coronavirus infections in Alabama didn’t deter people from descending on the state’s beaches over Memorial Day weekend, according to local media reports.

Footage that CNN aired on Monday’s broadcast of “Anderson Cooper 360” showed Gulf Shores beach busy with people. None wore masks, per CNN national correspondent Gary Tuchman, and those interviewed were defiant in the face of the virus that’s killed more than 550 people in the state. Alabama eased lockdown restrictions on Friday. 

Almost 100,000 people have now died from the virus nationwide.

Restaurants, bars and stores in the city were also busy, with many visitors failing to observe social distancing measures. Some restaurant staff did also not wear masks, according to CNN.

“My family has the same mindset as me,” one man on the beach told Tuchman. “We kind of just agreed that if we get it, we get it, we’re going to handle it as a family and just get over it because that’s what family does.”

One woman said: “Everybody has got to go somehow. I don’t want to die but, I mean, if that’s what God has in store for my life, then that’s OK.”

Others falsely likened COVID-19 to seasonal influenza and suggested “there’s enough wind and air that’s going to clear it out of the way” on the beach ― claims that Tuchman debunked.

Another man cited...refusal to wear a mask, “If he’s not wearing a mask, I’m not going to wear a mask,” said the man. “If he’s not worried, I’m not worried.”

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have noticed that many people have become very selective about this virus.  They only apply the social distancing in certain situations.  For instance I've noticed:

1)  In my grocery store, you can only catch the virus in the checkout lane.  The same person who glares at you if you are within 10 feet of them in line will stand right next to you and reach over you to grab something in the produce section before you do.

2)  You aren't able to catch the virus on certain days, for instance, Easter, Mother's Day and Memorial Day there is no need for social distancing.  So I guess that means you can't catch the virus on those days.

Bottom line is some people are and always will be stupid.  Perhaps when they catch the virus because of their carelessness they will think differently.  Until then, we have to watch out for ourselves and do our best to stay away from these selfish people while starting to live our own lives with precautions.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

My daughter, gave a big pool party Sat.  Friend, family, including my great grand kids.  I didn,t go.  I asked my son why, they didn,t wear mask, or keep distance.  He said, they want to live there lives.  I said maybe death.  This seems to be the norm now.  My daughter 58, sons 59 and 60.  I can,t believe how stupid. 

@qvcaddition Don't worry.  I'm sure they are saying the same thing about you.  There is enough conflicting information to go around to support any view you want.  And lots of room for all of us to not think we are the only ones on the planet who are right due to the information we believe and the choices we make. 

Everything we do is a risk and we all chose our own tolerances. I live in Oklahoma.  I've gone to the storm shelter a lot in my live; relatives have NEVER gone and we are both alive.  I don't know how things work, but they do so live and let live.