Esteemed Contributor

Re: Family, are you kept in the loop

[ Edited ]

I share as much as I desire to receive. 

My three children are individuals. One daughter calls and vents a lot. Another daughter shares when things are great or crummy. Doesn't share the in-between news. Son is private and plays it close to the vest. When he shares, he must need to talk. Husband's parents enjoy gossiping so we speak in generalities to them.  

Closest friends and I share on healthy levels.

My sis and I used to share a lot, but as I've pulled back, so has she. We're more cautious with one another now. In 2016, I took a deep breath and told her I'm not her punching bag. She excelled in the debate club in high school and enjoys verbal sparing. 

Husband and I have good communications. In general, I just don't have the 'need to know' like I used to. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

my husband i are NOT ever kept in the loop about any family news.

dh’s mom who is 93 was moved from west coast to east coast by one of his sisters. She consulted other brothers/sisters (there are several of each), but didn’t even ask my husband.

I was never asked for any input about my parents when they were alive. Both were in bad shape for years health wise. I was given no notice til after the fact. My sisters got together and sold or threw out everything in my parents house when both passed. I was given 6 snapshot photos out of all my parents had collected. Heck i wasn’t even informed my sisters even sold the house. Was told they sold it for such a low price just to unload it.. My brother in law was killed in a car accident back in the 90’s (car ran a red light), i was not even called til late in evening, all this happened early in the morn.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes in my immediate family.  my spouse has a much older brother & kids who he only hears from when it's a holiday to call & say "Merry Christmas", etc.  honestly I hardly know them in all the years we've been together.  Frankly, I don't care either.

My kids and family always keep us in the loop.  I have very large "extended" family which has lots of drama : I have no desire to get involved!  If someone mentions what's going on to me my standard answer "oh"...I don't ask for any info OR if someone asks me my opinion or if I heard about it my standard answer "I don't know".

I choose who to get "involved" with & no drama works for me--my life is pretty quiet and I like it this way! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember my mother was not told of her brothers death til several weeks after he was gone. She was the oldest child in the family and her nephew didn’t have the respect or compassion to call and let her know; she lived close enough to attend the funeral. That side of the family lives about 35 miles away in a neighboring town and has never kept in contact with anyone where we are. We stopped trying to maintain contact...you can’t have a relationship if only one person wants to have one. I am on FB just to keep track of where my grandkids are and what they are doing. Our kids post everything including every meal they eat and where they go. The only reason I use FB. It still bothers me that we aren’t considered good enough for my cousins who are my age to associate with..even on holidays...but that’s just how it is. 

Super Contributor

We may not be a big fan of keeping tabs on our relatives much - like only major events or issues but within the immediate family, everything is discussed. My family includes my parents, a younger sister, and youngest brother. My parents have always made it a point to makes feel a part of the decision making processes at home so everything from road trips to looking for a new house or helping some family friends is discussed.