Honored Contributor

Re: Family Heirlooms That Our Children Don't Want

If you choose not to designate a personal representative, talk to your bank.  I have been familiar with several llocal estates where the bank hires a firm to liquidate the material possessions. (as a retired antique dealer I occasionally work for one of those estate auction firms).  I also have a neighbor who passed recently and chose not to do a will.  Now his aged mothter (in her 90's) and his two sisters, all 500 miles away, are floundering trying to figure out what to do with his possessions, vehicles and house.  

Trusted Contributor

My father died two years ago.  I have held onto his house, putting it on the market last week.  Cleaning out the property where our family lived for 53 years has been difficult, to put it mildly.  The house is cleaned out - I started on the garage yesterday, and brought 140 pounds of items no one would want/not donate-able to the landfill this morning.  Do your families a favor and de-clutter/de-accession now, before they have to do it.  Sell on eBay, donate to Goodwill or a local non-profit, bring books to librairies for their in-house sales, have Habitat for Humanity take furniture and the like. After I finish this property, I am going to clean out my own house over the summer.  Lesson learned.   

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of Jim Shore Heartwood Creek figurines to move on. Used to donate to Senior Center but they aren't accepting donations because of COVID. 

Honored Contributor

Tomorrow morning, I'm getting $249 for something that no one else wanted.  A friend listed it on Facebook MarketPlace for me.  Can't even say I hoped for more as it was something that was given to me and never fit my decor.  Took up the bottom of a closet wrapped in a blanket.

I have no problem letting go of it. 

I'll add a dollar of my own and get his $250 CD for a grandson's upcoming birthday.  That will be an heirloom to him someday.Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Not even goodwill wants our stuff. Must have been a clean out the house weekend as when I took my load to goodwill today they had filled every cart they designated for incoming items. I had brand new, still packaged lock and lock pantry containers and they refused them--no Tupperware or anything like it. They did take the rest but grudgingly. 

Frequent Contributor

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I've my crystal and some China plates and my mom's paintings. But my girls don't hardly speak. And don't speak to me. I packed all this up thinking I'd be doing them a favor
I live in a condo and I detest looking at these boxes. What was I doing? No one wants anything but me. So sad but its the way it is. Now ladies what do I do with all these boxes? I'm not falling over anytime soon I guess.
Honored Contributor

Donate them, @Tigerfish2 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Agree with @suzyQ3 , donate them.  There is a place where I live that helps women who are leaving prison and are trying to start life over.  They appreciate any and all household items to help these women establish households.  They are the best place I know that I feel like they appreciate any donations.

Respected Contributor

My local goodwill has suspended taking donations. They cut it off 8 days ago as they were swamped after Memorial Day. They are also not taking any Tupperware type storage containers. I have a donation box sitting in my garage waiting. Another close by charity also has drastically cut their hours for donations. You know we are drowning in stuff when charities can't handle it all. 

Occasional Contributor

I LOVE Jim Shore stuff !  The only items I've been able to acquire have been items I found in Thrift Stores.  I would have happily taken them off your hands...