Honored Contributor

Re: Families of Boys Missing At Sea Have Called Off Their Search

A foundation is nice and all.......but the real answer would be to have rules and regulations similar to obtaining a driver's license.  As many of you have said, that area is filled with boaters, etc., boating around every day.  It's a wonder that there aren't more boating accidents out there.  BTW, don't boaters have to obtain some type of boating driver's license?  Or, do they just buy a boat, and take off, boating all around, willy-nilly?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

The

@CouponQueen wrote:

I followed the story somewhat on FB. Somebody I know is from that area.

I didn't read all the details but was wondering if the boys really did go where they said they were..or did they do something different.

I just thought they would find some evidence of them...back packs..etc..just like they disappeared out of thin air.

I know I wouldn't let my kids do half of the things we did as kids..not that what we did was extremely dangerous but we are in different times and thought.

I still would love for a miracle for them and find they were on some remote area - alive but lost.

The news reported that they were last seen leaving the inlet.  Was it ever determined if that life jacket found was from their boat?

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Yes, the information is there and parents should make their children attend and receive the certificate. I know 14 is the age they can take a boat out, my question is this - is this the age for all bodies of water? Because a lake or river is totally different than the ocean. Perhaps the laws about kids taking boats on the ocean should be changed to an older age. JMO

They didn't have permission to take the boat into the ocean. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

That is kind of like saying that what was the point in John Wash starting his good works after the loss of his son. Made huge differences in some folks lives.

I don't think the analogy is a valid one.

Where do you get not valid.

Two parents  (or sets of parents) who lost kids to a tragedy, that others who have never experienced such, could learn much from. 

Both instances involved parents not keeping a close enough eye on their child's locations and movements, feeling safe because of the circumstance, experiences, or locations, or just victims of circumstance. 

I think too many people want to vilify these boy's parents, without really looking in the mirror and seeing we could just as easily have had something similar happen during all our parenting years. This wasn't neglect, abuse, carelessness, or any other heinous thing. It was what happens when children have minds of their own, and don't really comprehend dangers and their own mortality because of inexperience.

And should they wish to try to make something good come from this, I applaud their efforts. It remains to be seen if it will materialize or be a good foundation, but I certainly won't criticize them for making this effort at this point. It is a journey they must travel.