Super Contributor

Re: Families of Boys Missing At Sea Have Called Off Their Search

@millieshops wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

I'M a little confused................. weren't these the parents that went to the media boasting about the boy's knowledge about boating and water skills? According to them they were experts.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I never thought the boys had not been trained. I never thought they had no or little boating experience.

But the 36 years I spent with kids of their age always had me believing the boys had not been honest with their  parents about their intentions when they left home.  What I don't remember hearing at any point was anyone telling us with confidence that they knew where the boys were headed.

I'm not a boater, but I live near water -  actually just a few miles from where the boys started their trip - and I can almost hear the conversation in those homes prior to their setting out.  "We're going to stay right near shore, mom.  Don't you trust me? "

Teen-agers push to get their independence.  They go places that are far more dangerous then they expect -  and even the good kids don't tell their parents the truth 24/7. 

I believe these parents acted just as thousands of parents of teens act every day; teens go alone often -  and end up in unanticipated danger, but it's not always because they hadn't been trained or hadn't been parented well.  Somehow, that makes their deaths all the sadder.

Since I raised 2 boys by answer would be Yes, I trust you but you are too young to go boating alone. End of story. Just becausethey want the freedom doesn't mean it should always be given. 14 is too young to be faced with the circumstances they had to face. 

Honored Contributor

I'm glad the message will get out through their foundation about boat safety and weather conditions.

So sorry for their loss and that it had to happen. Teens will push boundaries of parents as we all know-- seeing we were all once teenagers ourselves.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Regular Contributor

it's tragic enough to loose a child, but add to the fact that they may never have that final closure with a burial and living with how they died it's all so sad. 

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Trusted Contributor

My my young cousin lost his life in a boating accident years ago.

my aunt was never the same. 

So so sad and tragic.

Honored Contributor

You can preach to kids right from wrong but when away from parents they do what they want to .

Parents shouldn't be blamed...

so sad they -the boys did what they wanted to do.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Super Contributor

@cowboy sam wrote:

You can preach to kids right from wrong but when away from parents they do what they want to .

If they didn't have access to the boat they would no doubt be alive. They had parent's permission ..........................  that's where the problem started.

My kids were not always allowed to do "what they wanted"

Valued Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@cowboy sam wrote:

If they didn't have access to the boat they would no doubt be alive. They had parent's permission ..........................  that's where the problem started.

My kids were not always allowed to do "what they wanted"

We all can input our feelings on were the parents justified in their parenting skills or not but at this point, what's the use.  These boys are gone and all the finger pointing is in vain.  For me, I pray for the parents to be able to have peace in their hearts regarding their children and to be able to go on and parent other children should they have any.

Honored Contributor

I don't see what the Foundation will accomplish.  These parents did educate their children whom, they said, had all the proper training and a certificate.  So what more can a foundation do?  If 14 yr olds are still willing to "do their own thing" and disregard the possibility of their own mortality, I'm not sure what good a foundation will do.  That is something to which I would not contribute

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry for the tragic loss of these children and I am not pointing fingers at their parents.  However, there are organizations out there certified to teach boat safety, like the Coast Guard and the Red Cross.  I am always suspect to fund raising on line for things that already exist handled by groups who do not have expertise in a field but are emotionally involved.  The problem was not lack or resources but children who just felt invulnerable and safe from harm.  It would be more fruitful to address behavior of young boaters than to start another foundation to address safety; the info is out there already.  I would not contribute. 

@Pearlee wrote:

I don't see what the Foundation will accomplish.  These parents did educate their children whom, they said, had all the proper training and a certificate.  So what more can a foundation do?  If 14 yr olds are still willing to "do their own thing" and disregard the possibility of their own mortality, I'm not sure what good a foundation will do.  That is something to which I would not contribute

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the information is there and parents should make their children attend and receive the certificate. I know 14 is the age they can take a boat out, my question is this - is this the age for all bodies of water? Because a lake or river is totally different than the ocean. Perhaps the laws about kids taking boats on the ocean should be changed to an older age. JMO