Honored Contributor

Families of Boys Missing At Sea Have Called Off Their Search

I posted this today on the original thread about these missing boys, because I do favor keeping everything on the same subject on just one thread.  However, since this is news and that post seems to be not getting read - perhaps it is lost on the long thread - I'm reposting it as it's own thread.  It is newsworthy:

The families  have called off the search for the boys and started a foundation to educate youth about boat safety (that's sad and too little too late in their own case).

http://nypost.com/2015/08/09/families-call-off-search-for-2-boys-who-vanished-at-sea/

Honored Contributor

Re: Families of Boys Missing At Sea Have Called Off Their Search

So very sad to hear this. I can only imagine the pain the families and community are feeling. 

I hope some good comes from the foundation that they intend to establish, and that they find some peace and comfort.

Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to these families.  May they find some peace and comfort through this foundation they have started.  My prayers and thoughts are with them today.

Trusted Contributor

Can not imagine losing your child.....I hope they can find peace and resolution.

Honored Contributor

These families were SO hopeful, even though it never did look good. I hope the loving arms of their extended familes and their friends, and their faith, can give them some comfort. Good for them for starting their foundation - that will probably save the families of other teenage boys, who usually think they can do anything,  from going through this heartbreak. 

Honored Contributor

What a tragedy.  I don't know how one ever gets over such a loss.  To know how much they must have struggled and suffered will cause nightmares for those parents, family and friends forever.  It's too much to bear.

I hope lessons will be learned from this and wish them the best for their Foundation.

Thanks for posting, Pearlee.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

That's so sad.  These families have a lifetime of pain ahead of them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

I'M a little confused................. weren't these the parents that went to the media boasting about the boy's knowledge about boating and water skills? According to them they were experts.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

I'M a little confused................. weren't these the parents that went to the media boasting about the boy's knowledge about boating and water skills? According to them they were experts.

I never thought the boys had not been trained. I never thought they had no or little boating experience.

But the 36 years I spent with kids of their age always had me believing the boys had not been honest with their  parents about their intentions when they left home.  What I don't remember hearing at any point was anyone telling us with confidence that they knew where the boys were headed.

I'm not a boater, but I live near water -  actually just a few miles from where the boys started their trip - and I can almost hear the conversation in those homes prior to their setting out.  "We're going to stay right near shore, mom.  Don't you trust me? "

Teen-agers push to get their independence.  They go places that are far more dangerous then they expect -  and even the good kids don't tell their parents the truth 24/7. 

I believe these parents acted just as thousands of parents of teens act every day; teens go alone often -  and end up in unanticipated danger, but it's not always because they hadn't been trained or hadn't been parented well.  Somehow, that makes their deaths all the sadder.

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

This is easy to say, in hind sight. 

We can't 'prevent' to the point we don't live, or let our children live.

This type of incident did have the potential to go wrong, but what doesn't. I don't find it terribly horrific that they allowed the boys this kind of freedom, considering their living environment and their past performance with boating.

I'm sure these parents will carry a certain level of guilt about this for the rest of their lives, as I know I would.

Sometimes we just have to have faith, that things happen (or don't) for reasons much bigger than we are. Could this have been prevented, yes. Was it supposed to be? I don't know.