Honored Contributor

Re: False Online Identities/Why People Create Them/Why We Believe

@AuberriJean wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuberriJean

Have we known you under a different name?

No. Well I picked the name because I like all the colors of purple and I misspelled it the first time as "Aubergene" lol!  When I noticed I corrected it. 😜

That's good to know Smiley Happy

I like the name.

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

We've even gone further with these false identities ... here on this board, for example, why do posters change nics and reappear under another name?  

I honestly don't know who I'm chatting with more often than not these days.  I wish posters would let us know who they were before under the old board before changes were made.   I look at these nics with a couple thousand posts and don't know where the heck they came from.

@SoX  This is true.  I know some posters have left for personal reasons but those are very few.  I do not recognize most nics anymore.

@hckynut  Psst - the sky isn't really blue.  lol

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

This to me ranks right up there with "why is the sky blue"?Pick any reason you can think of and chances are you are right.

I really don't care why someone gets their rocks off by pretending to be someone or something else. To me it is just yet another " mystery of life", and I will leave it as such.

hckynut(john) 

Fair enough @hckynut. 🙂 I just think it's an interesting phenomenon of our 'new normal' of socialization online. I also feel bad for anybody who falls prey and is ultimately hurt.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Beachy1 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

My aunt just got a long love letter and was swooning. It was a form letter from some male scammer site. I'm not sure of what info she gave him but her bank account was drained 2 weeks later.

OMGosh, that's terrible

Foolish, desperate, lonely women praying for a dream man have been making fools of themselves forever. Since long before the internet was invented.  I don't even blame the scammers, the women are responsible for this type of thing. 

We need to be informed but blaming the victim? That's harsh imho.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Beachy1 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

My aunt just got a long love letter and was swooning. It was a form letter from some male scammer site. I'm not sure of what info she gave him but her bank account was drained 2 weeks later.

OMGosh, that's terrible

Foolish, desperate, lonely women praying for a dream man have been making fools of themselves forever. Since long before the internet was invented.  I don't even blame the scammers, the women are responsible for this type of thing. 

No, the women are not responsible for this sort of thing.

Men and women have been getting scammed for as long as forever.  Scammers are very smart and prey upon people. 

What good does it do to shame the victim? 

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuberriJean wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuberriJean

Have we known you under a different name?

No. Well I picked the name because I like all the colors of purple and I misspelled it the first time as "Aubergene" lol!  When I noticed I corrected it. 😜

That's good to know Smiley Happy

I like the name.

Thanks! I was sort of embarrassed at the misspelling lol. Us humans are error prone.....😎

Honored Contributor

It IS an interesting subject!

I am not a very (times a million) trusting person.  Then, when I started playing online I learned VERY quickly that there is a lot of underhanded stuff going on, even in a place as benign as a board like this.

I've heard the sob-stories by people trying to gain something from it and it turns out it was all fake and just somebody wanting to rip off others.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is still - Ya just can't trust humans! Smiley Happy

Now, before some thin-skinned person decides I'm talking about them - I'm NOT.  There are humans that I do trust.   I'm just not very impressed, over all, as a species.    There are more reasons that most people may ever understand for this, so no need to judge me.    

I wasn't born untrusting.  In fact, I once asked my father 'was I a bad kid?'.  He told me (and I knew he would be honest because I asked him to honestly tell me what kind of little kid I was) that I was very sweet, kind, OPEN (that didn't last long), caring, and always wanted to help everybody.

Many years of horror changed all that and so I say, as an over-all and without consideration for those whose trust is actually earned, you just have to be careful out there in human-land - online, or off.   Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I think people who have little or no control over their real life are the ones likely to do it. It is an issue of control.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had a litany of identities here - doctors/other medical,  lawyers, psychologists, educators, etc. etc. etc.  Even international hall monitors.  LOL!

Eventually the false identity will slip up.

"Cuz I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner....I'm a smoker, I'm a joker, I'm a midnight toker"  (Steve Miller)  ROTFL!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha, Cakers!   Good one.

I remember the one with the dinner parties who created all these other IDs to represent her husband and friends.    They would 'all' go on and on about everything and it turned out it was just the one person.

Somehow or other that got out but that person came back and there are always those who act like all that never happened.  

Ok, if the person does show that she (assuming gender) isn't going to do that anymore, I'm cool with that.  But I don't think I could be very trusting.