Honored Contributor

Re: False Online Identities/Why People Create Them/Why We Believe

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I have more fake names than the roster at a strip club.

I've never lied to anyone about any details (age, occupation, qualifications, etc), but I don't use my real name in internet forums and when I wrote a blog, I did so under a pseudonym. (Fake names have existed long before the internet.) It's always been a safety issue for me.

When I was 16 and online in chat rooms in 1986, there were creepers even back then. I remember one guy who was always asking the girls online if we had long hair and did we like to have it brushed. I learned early on that it was important to guard personal information carefully, especially a name that could be used to track down a phone number or an address.

Simply not putting your real name out there on the internet, IMO, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a fake persona or alter ego.  No one in their right mind would use their real name everywhere they go online. What's highly amusing to me are posters who accuse others of not using their real name and "hiding behind" a screen name while of course THEY use a not-real-name screen name as well - and don't see the lunacy in their accusation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

We've even gone further with these false identities ... here on this board, for example, why do posters change nics and reappear under another name?  

I honestly don't know who I'm chatting with more often than not these days.  I wish posters would let us know who they were before under the old board before changes were made.   I look at these nics with a couple thousand posts and don't know where the heck they came from.

Those who want people to know do let people know, for a time after a nick change. I wouldn't expect them to do it forever. Those who don't, and pretend they don't know what you're talking about (though others on the forum clearly "know" them and have been communicating with them outside the forum) - we know why they do what they do, as well.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@AuberriJean wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

My aunt just got a long love letter and was swooning. It was a form letter from some male scammer site. I'm not sure of what info she gave him but her bank account was drained 2 weeks later.

That's terrible @nun ya! I'm sorry.🙁

Thanks, It is horrible. But...I tried to warn her. She just got a tablet and it's the first she's been on the internet. It did make me a little sad that she thought this person was real. But I guess they know who to look for. They didn't get a substantial amount but to her it was. 

Just awful. Dishonest people steal your heart and steal your money as well.😟

Honored Contributor

Re: False Online Identities And Why People Create Them

Don't know, don't care.  The subject just doesn't interest or concern me because I don't live my real life online and I don't have any "friends" online.  Sure, I dabble in FB and a couple of boards like this but this isn't my life, I don't take boards and online activity seriously.  So, I don't give any thought at all to identities and what is real and was is not real and who is telling the truth and who isn't. 

Respected Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

My aunt just got a long love letter and was swooning. It was a form letter from some male scammer site. I'm not sure of what info she gave him but her bank account was drained 2 weeks later.

OMGosh, that's terrible

Honored Contributor

This to me ranks right up there with "why is the sky blue"?Pick any reason you can think of and chances are you are right.

I really don't care why someone gets their rocks off by pretending to be someone or something else. To me it is just yet another " mystery of life", and I will leave it as such.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@AuberriJean

Have we known you under a different name?

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I have more fake names than the roster at a strip club.

I've never lied to anyone about any details (age, occupation, qualifications, etc), but I don't use my real name in internet forums and when I wrote a blog, I did so under a pseudonym. (Fake names have existed long before the internet.) It's always been a safety issue for me.

When I was 16 and online in chat rooms in 1986, there were creepers even back then. I remember one guy who was always asking the girls online if we had long hair and did we like to have it brushed. I learned early on that it was important to guard personal information carefully, especially a name that could be used to track down a phone number or an address.

Simply not putting your real name out there on the internet, IMO, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a fake persona or alter ego.  No one in their right mind would use their real name everywhere they go online. What's highly amusing to me are posters who accuse others of not using their real name and "hiding behind" a screen name while of course THEY use a not-real-name screen name as well - and don't see the lunacy in their accusation.

Agree @Moonchilde. It's not about using a real life name, more about creating a fictitious life story or persona.

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@AuberriJean

Have we known you under a different name?

No. Well I picked the name because I like all the colors of purple and I misspelled it the first time as "Aubergene" lol!  When I noticed I corrected it. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

OMGosh, that's terrible

Foolish, desperate, lonely women praying for a dream man have been making fools of themselves forever. Since long before the internet was invented.  I don't even blame the scammers, the women are responsible for this type of thing.