Frequent Contributor

Facebook to hire 3,000 more moderators to detect hate speech, child exploitation, self-harm

[ Edited ]

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39793175

Facebook hires 3,000 to spot self-harm videos

Facebook is to hire 3,000 additional moderators to help detect hate speech, child exploitation and self-harm being broadcast on the social network.

Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said it had been "heartbreaking" to see people "hurting themselves and others" in videos streamed live on Facebook.

He added he would make reporting problematic videos easier.

The move follows cases of murder and suicide being broadcast live on the social network.

In April, a man was killed in a video streamed live on Facebook. Later in the same month, a Thai man killed his baby daughter and then himself in a live stream.

Mr Zuckerberg said the additional staff, joining the 4,500 existing moderators, would help the company respond more quickly when content was reported.

In a post on his Facebook profile, he said the company would develop new tools to manage the millions of content reports it received every week.

"We're going to make it simpler to report problems to us, faster for our reviewers to determine which posts violate our standards and easier for them to contact law enforcement if someone needs help," he said.

The post suggested Facebook's moderators would contact law enforcement, rather than contacting members directly if they were at risk of harm.

"Just last week, we got a report that someone on Live [video] was considering suicide. We immediately reached out to law enforcement, and they were able to prevent him from hurting himself", said Mr Zuckerberg."

Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook to hire 3,000 more moderators to detect hate speech, child exploitation, self-harm

It's sad to have to put in all these controls.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Facebook to hire 3,000 more moderators to detect hate speech, child exploitation, self-harm

Just MHO, but "Facebook Live" should only be available for news outlets and businesses. I do not see any reason why individuals should need this service.

The Facebook Live items that I have seen personally, are random stupid rants or someone laying in bed saying "I'm bored" ...with no other response. Who knows what they were waiting for.

If you want to chat "live" with someone, there are many other non-Facebook means for that.

Frequent Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

It's sad to have to put in all these controls.

Very sad @GCR18. Imho they should have done more about this before now. I'm glad to see it happening. "Better late than never."

Frequent Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

Just MHO, but "Facebook Live" should only be available for news outlets and businesses. I do not see any reason why individuals should need this service.

The Facebook Live items that I have seen personally, are random stupid rants or someone laying in bed saying "I'm bored" ...with no other response. Who knows what they were waiting for.

If you want to chat "live" with someone, there are many other non-Facebook means for that.

Excellent points @RedHeadedWench .

Honored Contributor

I am not part of Facebook and so I do not know much about it other than what I hear or read.  Just this morning driving into work I had John Tesh's radio show on and the volume was pretty low so he was talking about someone and this person's "basement followers".  I thought what the heck is that?  Then I turned up the volume and realized he had said Facebook not basement followers.  Does not even rhyme but still may apply to some.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A sign of the times?

Honored Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

I guess it depends on what constitutes a business.  A former QVC showhost goes live to sell items and hold chats.  But she does this on her own page, technically she doesn't have a separate business page.  I have seen other self-employed people going live and again, while they are marketing something, it's from their own public page.

I often see local bands in our area go live while they are playing at various venues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

I guess it depends on what constitutes a business.  A former QVC showhost goes live to sell items and hold chats.  But she does this on her own page, technically she doesn't have a separate business page.  I have seen other self-employed people going live and again, while they are marketing something, it's from their own public page.

I often see local bands in our area go live while they are playing at various venues.

It was intended for good things but weird people always find ways to spread their evilness!

I've seen a marriage proposal, a surprise birthday party, a few bible studies, a cancer walk and a  few others that I can't remember. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

I do believe that Facebook should use some precautions for the awful behavior that is shown 'live'.  I wonder why they can't have a half-hour/hour delay on all comments.  Other websites review posts before they print them.