Esteemed Contributor

Facebook and Public Accounts

I do not have a Facebook account but could always see public business accounts. I basically do it for local businesses for specials and hours. 

Well, this morning I wanted to check a business and said to create an account or log in. I checked others, same thing. No idea why that started.

Nope, don't need to know info that much.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Facebook and Public Accounts

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Several years ago I caved and set up a fake facebook account so I could look at business and news accounts. You can make the account to block all notifications. I don't even remember I have an account most of the time.  If you never sign out of the account, you never have to go back in to it.

Esteemed Contributor

No FB here either - has seen what you describe hundreds of times.  My question - if you are a business - why block out possible new customers?  Either you're in business or not.

Not all block you out - about 50/50.  Seems stupid to me.

Check if they have a website listed - that often works

Respected Contributor

I deleted my FB account after an article I read.  Thought I would miss it, but don't.  I have more time on my hands for constructive things.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What @grandma2pkmh said.  I never wanted to be on FB either, but signed up with a fake name so I could read business pages and play the games.  FB has some great games!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Most businesses have a website these days that at the very least show their hours. Just google the business name. If I'm going to go to one of the smaller grocery stores around here rather than the large chain I always google their hours because I'm usually ready to head out before 8:00am and not all are open that early. Have done that sometimes for evening closing hours as well if I want to run out after dinner. 

Respected Contributor

You are right...I don't use FB either, but do check a couple of places that were public I frequent.

I can't get on any of them as of this morning...Very odd, I could as of last night...

Respected Contributor

Same here.  I do not have a Facebook but do check several public pages.  Some of them are available and some are not.  I could see all of them as of last night. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I deleted my FB account after an article I read.  Thought I would miss it, but don't.  I have more time on my hands for constructive things.

What was the article about, if you don't mind sharing, @Sunshine Kate?

I have stopped being on mine as much, gone days without looking at it, and I realized how much time I was wasting on it too, and also that it seems to create negativity in my life.

Super Contributor

I don't have Facebook and after reading this post I checked my church facebook page.  Can't view it now.  Pretty bad when the church isn't open because of Covid and you can't even view the Facebook page!  Hope this is just a glitch with the Facebook page because I too enjoyed reading some public Facebook pages and refuse to join.