Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

Yes, but they don't post on the person's Facebook page.  That's entirely different.  It's not their job to inform all of the alleged criminal's friends about what happened.

I agree that someone posted it, but that it wasn't the police.  There's no reason for them to do that.  Yes, it's public record, and the information is certainly available, but posting on someone's personal FB page about something like this is not what they do.  The OP said she's not familiar with FB, so she probably just misunderstood.  In all likelihood, a friend posted about it and maybe included a screenshot or something from a police blotter or report or something along those lines.

In my town the Police have their own FB page and will post arrests and mug shots on the page, people can 'share' the post on the offender's page.  I have no problem with it, especially if it's a crime against the elderly or children.  Shout it from the roof tops I say......

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

Yes, but they don't post on the person's Facebook page.  That's entirely different.  It's not their job to inform all of the alleged criminal's friends about what happened.

I agree that someone posted it, but that it wasn't the police.  There's no reason for them to do that.  Yes, it's public record, and the information is certainly available, but posting on someone's personal FB page about something like this is not what they do.  The OP said she's not familiar with FB, so she probably just misunderstood.  In all likelihood, a friend posted about it and maybe included a screenshot or something from a police blotter or report or something along those lines.

In my town the Police have their own FB page and will post arrests and mug shots on the page, people can 'share' the post on the offender's page.  I have no problem with it, especially if it's a crime against the elderly or children.  Shout it from the roof tops I say......

Yes, on their own FB page.  But the police are not posting it on the alleged criminal's   Facebook page.  It may be their post that's turning up on an individual's FB page, but the police are not the ones who put it there.

Trusted Contributor

The alledged perp can remove it from her page......unless she is stil in jail.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I think you can post on someone's wall if the settings allow it, not sure.

I think maybe if it's a friend of a friend.  But for some random person to post on your wall I don't think so.

Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

I think you can post on someone's wall if the settings allow it, not sure.

I think maybe if it's a friend of a friend.  But for some random person to post on your wall I don't think so.

If the person has their page set to Public and/or does not know that they need to go into their settings to make their page Private, and never did so, then any other person with a FB page can post on anyone's Public page. Back in the day people used to be able to post as Anonymous - I think I remember that - but not now, you have to have a FB account.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

My guess would be that "someone" posted it but it was not the police.  We have a little thing called "innocent until proven guility" and that means innocent until a guilty verdict is handed down.  Now way in this world would any police department set themselves up for a lawsuit by doing something that unprofessional. 

??? An arrest is a public record, has nothing to do with a conviction.  Police routinely post arrest records online and in print, nothing 'unprofessional' about it imo.

But the do NOT post the arrest on the person's OWN FB page...lol   That would never happen, not in a million years.  If and if happened, it wasn't done by the police.  That's no brainer. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

But the do NOT post the arrest on the person's OWN FB page...lol   That would never happen, not in a million years.  If and if happened, it wasn't done by the police.  That's no brainer. 

It may not be illegal, we have covered the possibility it was shared from an 'official' page.