Trusted Contributor

Re: Facebook Page Posts that Ask Questions Just to Get You to Respond Like

Facebook has allowed me to keep in touch with many old friends.  It is what you make of it.  I don't get involved in political stuff but I am in groups were I have hobbies, like my crafting, my love for Christmas, my love for cooking.

It totally is what you make it.  It's my happy place, no I don't post every minute of every day but I too if  I make a great dish I take a picture and share it. If I do something particuarly crafty, I take a picture and I share it.  

Much like here, if you don't like a post, just roll on by it.

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

Not only the things you mention cause concern, but those posts asking you what your dog's name is, what is your nickname, what was going on the year of your birth- they are ALL scams to get your private information, especially passwords to you various accounts, like banks, credit cards, etc. We all know that people often use their pet's name as a password, or use their birth date as part of a password. Watch out for this stuff!! Facebook does nothing to stop this, so you are on your own.

I remember years ago on this board somone wanted ladies to do (as I recall)a "Scottish" or ? royal nickname using their maiden name preceded by Mc and some people did it! Like McSmith (insert maiden name). I remember reporting it and it disappeared but really WHO would answer that particular question online? Why? Never play these games with answering questions. The scammers are just harvesting info on YOU to use for bad things.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, on a different iPad, I searched for Ruby panties after they were mentioned on the Always thread.  I am far too old for them and never, never have I searched for them ever, ever.

They showed up on this iPad on my Facebook this morning.

Can't they leave us alone?  Yes I clear cookies etc every night before I shut down.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Yesterday, on a different iPad, I searched for Ruby panties after they were mentioned on the Always thread.  I am far too old for them and never, never have I searched for them ever, ever.

They showed up on this iPad on my Facebook this morning.

Can't they leave us alone?  Yes I clear cookies etc every night before I shut down.

@Still Raining,  Those ads might be picking up on your search history -- you can delete that and see if it helps.   Also, there's an "Ads" section in your settings you can look at to try and limit them, and the 3 dots in the upper right of each ad post in your newsfeed allows you to hide them...  not sure how much good it all does, though.   Good that you clear cookies/website data/etc. each night, that does help in many ways overall.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Do you notice that so many FACEBOOK pages that you follow ask questions in their posts like, IF I CAME TO YOUR HOUSE WHAT WOULD I FIND ON TOP OF YOUR FRIG?, or NAME THREE WAYS YOUR PARENTS DISCIPLINED YOU, or WHAT IS THE STANGEST THING YOU EVER ATE?, or IN THIS PICTURE WHAT DO YOU SEE FIRST?, or WHICH HOUSE WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO LIVE IN (4 homes are showed)?

Is this so that FB will keep their page posts on your page based on your interacting with their page, and because that page very much wants this, because it wants to sell something, including information on you?

Combination of sinister personality profiling to push targeted psychographic ads at you---and basic conversation starters. Facebook is toxic and one of the key sources for disinformation that is fracturing our society. Studies have shown that people feel more depressed and unhappy after spending significant time on Facebook.

I prefer to keep in touch with people I actually know. DH dips in and out because he is friends on there with some fairly famous musicians he would never be able to have discussions with in regular life.

I agree!

Frequent Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I see more of that kind of stuff from my friends who are apparently bored and like to do those things.  I just ignore them and scroll on by. 

I scroll by as well.

Valued Contributor

There are so many scams on Facebook going unchecked it really makes you wonder. Of the more dangerous are these sites that show a picture of (for instance) a cute puppy and then ask you your dog's name, or maybe they ask you what was going on the year you were born (to get your birthdate) or what your nickname is. These are all designed to get information that people commonly use as passwords for their various accounts. Be very careful!!