Trusted Contributor

Facebook Page Posts that Ask Questions Just to Get You to Respond Like

Do you notice that so many FACEBOOK pages that you follow ask questions in their posts like, IF I CAME TO YOUR HOUSE WHAT WOULD I FIND ON TOP OF YOUR FRIG?, or NAME THREE WAYS YOUR PARENTS DISCIPLINED YOU, or WHAT IS THE STANGEST THING YOU EVER ATE?, or IN THIS PICTURE WHAT DO YOU SEE FIRST?, or WHICH HOUSE WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO LIVE IN (4 homes are showed)?

Is this so that FB will keep their page posts on your page based on your interacting with their page, and because that page very much wants this, because it wants to sell something, including information on you?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Facebook Page Posts that Ask Questions Just to Get You to Respond Like

None of the pages I follow ask these things (and I follow a ton).  HGTV will post a picture of the three houses that will be shown that evening on House Hunters and ask which one you prefer or which one the home buyers will purchase but that's it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

3 reasons.......

one, it keeps people/friends/followers interacting on your page and they will be more likely to see your posts more often on your daily feed.

two, it is a way for businesses to interact socially with their customers and keep you interested in following their page/group. it is also a way that they do giveaways.

three, sometimes people just like to do polls and get opinions. look at all of the posts in the HOME forum and the FASHION forum here where people post pics and people give feedback, both good and bad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Do you notice that so many FACEBOOK pages that you follow ask questions in their posts like, IF I CAME TO YOUR HOUSE WHAT WOULD I FIND ON TOP OF YOUR FRIG?, or NAME THREE WAYS YOUR PARENTS DISCIPLINED YOU, or WHAT IS THE STANGEST THING YOU EVER ATE?, or IN THIS PICTURE WHAT DO YOU SEE FIRST?, or WHICH HOUSE WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO LIVE IN (4 homes are showed)?

Is this so that FB will keep their page posts on your page based on your interacting with their page, and because that page very much wants this, because it wants to sell something, including information on you?

Combination of sinister personality profiling to push targeted psychographic ads at you---and basic conversation starters. Facebook is toxic and one of the key sources for disinformation that is fracturing our society. Studies have shown that people feel more depressed and unhappy after spending significant time on Facebook.

I prefer to keep in touch with people I actually know. DH dips in and out because he is friends on there with some fairly famous musicians he would never be able to have discussions with in regular life.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

Not only the things you mention cause concern, but those posts asking you what your dog's name is, what is your nickname, what was going on the year of your birth- they are ALL scams to get your private information, especially passwords to you various accounts, like banks, credit cards, etc. We all know that people often use their pet's name as a password, or use their birth date as part of a password. Watch out for this stuff!! Facebook does nothing to stop this, so you are on your own.

Esteemed Contributor

Just because the question is asked, does not mean that I have to answer.

It's like here, just because there is a thread, doesn't mean that I have to open it.

I have my RL friends on FB that I follow, and about a dozen other groups that I joined on there.

Especially now, in the days of Covid, where we can not physically be together, it's a nice way of keeping in touch with each other.

I've never left there feeling depressed, so, FB is what the participant makes of it.

I do not post what I am doing every minute of every day, or what I am eating, etc.

That's another misconception, that everybody does that.

Uh, no, they don't.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Just because the question is asked, does not mean that I have to answer.

It's like here, just because there is a thread, doesn't mean that I have to open it.

I have my RL friends on FB that I follow, and about a dozen other groups that I joined on there.

Especially now, in the days of Covid, where we can not physically be together, it's a nice way of keeping in touch with each other.

I've never left there feeling depressed, so, FB is what the participant makes of it.

I do not post what I am doing every minute of every day, or what I am eating, etc.

That's another misconception, that everybody does that.

Uh, no, they don't.

LOL @Anonymous032819  .......i totally agree with your post, except for one thing. if i make something really good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner i am sharing it on my page or in some of the foodie groups i am in. Smiley LOL #noregrets

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Food posts often look revolting. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Of course, do as you like.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I see more of that kind of stuff from my friends who are apparently bored and like to do those things.  I just ignore them and scroll on by. 

Honored Contributor

I see more of that here.   i see also a few who post every aspect of their life like they have followers who can't eait to hear about it.  Woman Frustrated