Honored Contributor

Re: 'Facebook' Killer Commits Suicide

I admire the family, I couldn't do it, I couldn't forgive that man, that killer.  But I don't feel bad about that, I figure it's not my job to forgive him.

Honored Contributor

Messed up man ... why or how we will never know.  Reason he killed an innocent man ... we will never know. 

My heart breaks for the family and friends of both, but I'm glad he killed himself.  Sorry if this makes me a bad person, but that's my gut reaction, because it's better him than more people that may have been in his path.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Silver Lining

The 'favor' the killer asked for:

In the video, Stephens can be heard asking “Can you do me a favor? Can you say [his girlfriend’s name]?”

Godwin, obviously confused by this non sequitur from a stranger, repeated the name in a questioning tone of voice. “Yeah,” Stephens said. “She’s the reason this is about to happen to you. How old are you?”

A clearly perplexed Godwin started to walk away, while exclaiming “I don’t know nobody by that name!” Those were the last words he ever spoke.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/robert-godwin-sr-robert-goodwin-steve-stephens-stevie-steve-facebook-l...

I wish I could unhear it and unsee it. The murderer was so calm and so pleased with himself. Mr. Godwin pleasantly responded when approached and repeated the name the killer asked him to say. He looked so surprised and started backing up when he saw the gun pointed at him. By the look on his face and the sound of his voice the murderer was enjoying every minute of it. It was surreal.  

Honored Contributor

It is all about choice.  The murderer chose his path.  He was a worker in the foster care system.  He had access to mental health professionals.  He called his friends and chose not to reach out for help.  Instead of driving himself to an ER, he chose to murder Mr. Godwin who did not have a choice.....oh and post it on FB.....an angry, impulsive, immature person who had entitlement issues.....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I admire the family, I couldn't do it, I couldn't forgive that man, that killer.  But I don't feel bad about that, I figure it's not my job to forgive him.

@Noel7

I agree with you...Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good. Saved the taxpayer quite a bit of money. 

It does not, however, bring back the life of the innocent man he murdered; it does not make whole the family of the innocent man he murdered.

I feel ZERO remorse for the piece of scum who took someone else's life and then POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK because "I snapped due to my girlfriend and my gambling".

Cry me a freaking river, scumbag.

Edited to add: Yep, my post will be deleated because of the "who will think of the suffering of this man to do such a thing!!" reporters to the mods. Whatever.

Honored Contributor

I can't know how I'd feel if this had happened to one of my loved ones. I doubt that I could forgive. I understand his committing suicide, but I don't celebrate it.

If he had lived, I would want him to face our justice system that is relatively fair and unbiased. I would never, ever condone any other kind of action, and although I am disgusted by his crime, I personally don't think of him as trash or subhuman.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Good. Saved the taxpayer quite a bit of money. 

It does not, however, bring back the life of the innocent man he murdered; it does not make whole the family of the innocent man he murdered.

I feel ZERO remorse for the piece of scum who took someone else's life and then POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK because "I snapped due to my girlfriend and my gambling".

Cry me a freaking river, scumbag.

Edited to add: Yep, my post will be deleated because of the "who will think of the suffering of this man to do such a thing!!" reporters to the mods. Whatever.

@SahmIam, why even add that last part? I happen to fall into the category you describe, but for goodness' sake, I would never report some else just because I have a different stance. In other words, don't ask for trouble.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  Because, unlike you, there ARE those who do and it ticks me off. I'm voicing my opinion on it, which I'm allowed to do. 

Of course, the mods will do whatever THEY choose to do because this board belongs to QVC. It would be nice, however, for those who don't believe in giving this....individual any sympathy for his actions in ANY way the ability to say to without being censored/removed. 

Respected Contributor

I do not believe "going to trial" gives a family closure .... it just prolongs their suffering and anguish as this pathetic soul gets a warm bed and three meals--years of appeals, and eventually out on the street due to a mental health diagnosis.   Justice was served.