Valued Contributor

Re: Facebook Asks Banks For Customer Data

I've never had a FB account as I really value my privacy.  If I want to "share" something with family or friends I'll call, email or text.

I've never been a fan of little Markie Zuckerberg - he comes across as a real weasel.  What's next?  Will he want your SS# to continue using his site?

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I think the reason FB is pushing Messenger is that so many people no longer email, especially the very young, that they would rather get all their "emails" on Messenger, so it's all in one place.

I have 5 nieces and nephews and none of them have emails.  They have gmail accounts that they don't check that they have to have for various confirmations for things they do on their phones.

Of course this is great for FB as a business.

@VaBelle35: Good point. Facebook is losing the younger demographic to Instagram and Snapchat. This is a way of getting back some of that age group.

Doesn't FB own instagram?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I think the reason FB is pushing Messenger is that so many people no longer email, especially the very young, that they would rather get all their "emails" on Messenger, so it's all in one place.

I have 5 nieces and nephews and none of them have emails.  They have gmail accounts that they don't check that they have to have for various confirmations for things they do on their phones.

@VaBelle35: Good point. Facebook is losing the younger demographic to Instagram and Snapchat. This is a way of getting back some of that age group.

@JaneMarple- yes it is.  Facebook usage is down by young people is down.  They favor Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@JaneMarple: I didn't know that.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@JaneMarple: I didn't know that.

Facebook bought Instagram 6 years ago, yes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

"Facebook to Banks: Give Us Your Data, We'll Give You Our Users"

Here's the link to this eye-opening article from today's Wall Street Journal. If l were on Facebook (which l'm glad I'm not), this would be enough to get me to close my FB account immediately.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-to-banks-give-us-your-data-well-give-you-our-users-1533564049?...

@handygal2

Well, the problem is that many don't realize that while FB is FREE to join, they have to be making their money somewhere .... right?   

(I wonder how many people would continue with FB if they charged a monthly fee of $10 or $15 a month ...?)

And many who join don't even bother to read the Terms Of Use they agree to when joinnig, which tells them in no uncertain terms just what they can do with any of your information.    No one should complain because they were too darn lazy to read what they agreed to.   JMO

Honored Contributor

I sold my modest amount of Facebook stock.  I can't support any of this, even though they are making a ton of money for stockholders.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It will be 1 step closer to having all of a persons info, in one place. M@rk is just the puppet behind f*b.

Honored Contributor

OMG----can I just say how HAPPY I am that I don't use ANY of the social forums-----

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

It’s scary how nothing is private anymore. I’m very careful with what I put out there.The problem is that doesn’t matter.With all the computer hacks etc. all our private information has become public.Regardless of how hard we try we can no longer protect our privacy!! Facebook doesn’t even scratch the surface of how compromised we have all become.

So true.

And I don't think people realize that even if you personally choose not to do any social media, not to bank online, not to buy online, not to sign up for portals through doctors for your results etc. The businesses and companies you do do business with have a certain amount of personal information about you, they have it and transmit it electronically, and can be breached and compromised.

So just abstaining from as much as you can online is absolutely no guarantee your information isn't going to be mishandled or obtained from other places. Might lower the risk, but doesn't prevent it.