Trusted Contributor

Mean!

Honored Contributor

Re: FUNNY ... OR MEAN?

[ Edited ]

That was just another example of a social media posting looking for “likes”.

Ridiculous. 

The piece of cotton candy looked just like a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to me. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44    Animals are trying to forage for food and getting ready for a hard winter while humans are always playing “harmless” jokes at their expense.  I don’t believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I would wish that you would come back as a racoon and endure the hardships of their life.

@Ketra- @Tinkrbl44 just reposted the video and asked for our reactions. She didn't tease or taunt the raccoon.  Good grief.

@qbetzforreal @Tinkrbl44  It would help if in the original post there was more than “Racoons wash their food before eating it. So we gave them cotton candy.”  If the OP said this was posted on Facebook or I found this at a video website I wouldn’t have assumed the OP posted it. Sorry Tinkrbl44. Yes, it’s just plain mean.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner There is nothing decent about having fun at another's expense.

I suppose some thought it great fun when that worthless Jimmy Kimmel suggested parents, and parents complied, lie to their children about eating their Halloween candy, film them, and send the videos to be shown on his show.

No one enjoys being set up and made to look the fool. Practical jokes are only fun for the joker seeking attention and his audience.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I suppose some thought it great fun when that worthless Jimmy Kimmel suggested parents, and parents complied, lie to their children about eating their Halloween candy, film them, and send the videos to be shown on his show.

No one enjoys being set up and made to look the fool. Practical jokes are only fun for the joker seeking attention and his audience.

@occasionalrain Well, you wouldn't enjoy being in my family then!  There were great for practical jokes and some of my best memories are jokes and things that were stupid and we all laughed--including the one who did the stupid thing.

You can either laugh at yourself and with others or you can't.  We always had a barrel of fun and loved and cherished one another.  But boy if you slipped up, it was merriment all around.

So don't judge others on this subject.  It is among our most loved, cherished and laughed about over and over memories.  I can't imagine ever my family without the laughter.

It wasn't mean, it was funny, nobody was hurt or mocked or made to feel anything but special.  If you don't understand that, it's just that it's not your culture.   Don't mock others. 

Honored Contributor

Mean.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Gets a MEAN vote from me.

An animal can't "get" a joke.   I saw nothing funny about it at all.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain Well, you wouldn't enjoy being in my family then!  There were great for practical jokes and some of my best memories are jokes and things that were stupid and we all laughed--including the one who did the stupid thing.

You can either laugh at yourself and with others or you can't.  We always had a barrel of fun and loved and cherished one another.  But boy if you slipped up, it was merriment all around.

So don't judge others on this subject.  It is among our most loved, cherished and laughed about over and over memories.  I can't imagine ever my family without the laughter.

It wasn't mean, it was funny, nobody was hurt or mocked or made to feel anything but special.  If you don't understand that, it's just that it's not your culture.   Don't mock others. 

@Sooner  I get what you are saying about people pulling pranks on people, but too many people pull pranks on animals and animals don’t understand. They are too busy trying to survive. If they had showed the racoon getting a treat afterward, I believe people would have thought it cute. But it looks like the only goal was to tease this animal and get likes. There is too much animal teasing and cruelty that goes on these days and people have very little tolerence for it.

Esteemed Contributor

Mean! And, if you are going to feed an animal (which imo, shouldn't be done) it should not be something that could possibly be harmful to them. 

Respected Contributor

This may explain the emotional responses:

Raccoon Drops Cotton Candy Into Water, Is All Of Us
Michael Hafford
January 4, 2016, 8:30 PM

You are a raccoon. You have a block of cotton candy. It’s a wonderful block. The block will provide you with much joy. Typically, your life is devoted to nocturnal garbage diving in the hopes that you might find the remnants of a candy bar. Today is a banner day, in terms of having a large quantity of sweet things to eat. But the block is a little dry. And you’re near a little pond or small puddle.

To a raccoon, to you, a pond and a puddle are more or less the same. The life of a raccoon is not complicated. The pond is limpid, as clear as your eyes were when you saw your raccoon pups born. That was a wonderful day, almost as wonderful as this. You think, “I’ll wet the block.” Something happens. You drop the block into the little pond or small puddle but the block seems to be hiding. What could it be hiding behind? The water is clear. There is nothing in the water. Maybe the block is invisible? You dunk your paws. The block… the sweet candy… It’s gone.

Where have you gone wrong? You think of Icarus, but for a raccoon with a block of cotton candy. The block is gone. The water has stolen it, just as 2015 stole your dreams of accomplishment and fortune. You enter the new year, this year of loss and depression, bereft. Your life’s meaning has dissolved alongside the block of cotton candy in a clear pool.