Esteemed Contributor

ItIRe: FUN THREAD - THINGS YOUR MOTHER USED TO SAY

[ Edited ]

Mom:   "It looks like it's from the year of the flood"

"You look like the wreck of the Hesperus"

Dad:    "A child should have definite duties"  (meaning helping out in the kitchen)

"It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich guy than a poor one"

And the usual (from both of them)   "children in Europe are starving".....

Honored Contributor

Re: ItIRe: FUN THREAD - THINGS YOUR MOTHER USED TO SAY

[ Edited ]

Why should he buy the cow when he can get the milk for free?   (actually, that was my grandmother)

Because I said so!

A penny saved is a penny earned.   

Save it for a rainy day.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

And let's not forget the ever popular "When I was a kid .....".

Regular Contributor

Re: FUN THREAD - THINGS YOUR MOTHER USED TO SAY

"Santa Claus is watching you!!!!"  This one was appropriate when we would act up late in the year.

She was also famous for giving us the customary "we'll see" answer whenever we asked to do something.  Can I spend the night at Susan's?  We'll see.  Can we go get ice cream?  We'll see.  Of course, we had to keep asking, I guess she thought we would eventually get tired of it or forget about whatever it was we wanted to do in the first place.  When I got older and she told me "we'll see", I told her "you might as well give me an answer NOW, you know I'll just keep asking".  She gave me a look but I don't think she used the "we'll see" answer much after that!  I was the youngest, so of course, I had to test both my parents all the time.

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

My mom would always tell me not to cut off my nose to spite my face which I had no idea what that was supposed to mean until I was in 6th grade. Before, I just remember thinking did people really cut their noses off?!  That's crazy!

How could I forget that one?  I heard it so often!

My mother had another good tip.  Every time I came home from school and complained that someone had treated me badly or had said something hurtful, she'd laugh and say, "Don't you know they're just jealous?"

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

My mom would always tell me not to cut off my nose to spite my face which I had no idea what that was supposed to mean until I was in 6th grade. Before, I just remember thinking did people really cut their noses off?!  That's crazy!

How could I forget that one?  I heard it so often!

My mother had another good tip.  Every time I came home from school and complained that someone had treated me badly or had said something hurtful, she'd laugh and say, "Don't you know they're just jealous?"

the first time my mom told me this I was in 7th grade and thought she was nuts. But it turns out she was right. Wish my 7th grade self had heeded her advice...would have saved me a lot of self doubt and pain.

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

Daddy would say, "She needs a dose of linament- OMG that stuff tasted worse than horrible..  LOL ...

@Suziepeach ... Oh, how I remember my mother and father grabbing the linament anytime one of us had an ache or pain. My dad said they used to use it on the horses when he was a child. He said that if it helped a horse, it would help me!

@Yardlie, I still get the nasty shivers thinking that horrible stuff going down my throat..  ewhhhhhhhhhh big time..  Poor horses!!! 

@Suziepeach ... My parents didn't make us drink it. They just rubbed it all over us. Then we had to go to school the next day smelling like a bottle of linament!

@Yardlie, this was some kind of liniment for colds and cough..   I tried to find it but couldn't and it was in the late 50's, early 60's...  Good Lord you got better fast- wonder if it had a high percentage of alcohol in it?  Like  a hot toddy..?  LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

Dad:    "A child should have definite duties"  (meaning helping out in the kitchen)

@sophiamarie

YES!

The Wreck of the Hesperus!

What the heck was that? 

Valued Contributor

too funny! My MIL used to say "no one will get off a galloping horse" to see something.

Honored Contributor

Mom used to say "the world doesn't revolve around you, and what you want young lady".   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@sophiamarie

YES!

The Wreck of the Hesperus!

What the heck was that? 

A poem by Wadsworth about the sad consequences of pride. But when my mom said it, it had more to do with something looking in shambles, like my messy hair!

I should add it was about a ship wreck with the ship breaking into pieces, hence the references to disheveled things.