Esteemed Contributor

Re: FTC Sues to Block Albertson's/Kroger Merger

Kroger just killed Fred Meyer, kept the name and fired the employees.  Many of us still boycott them.

Now we have the Albertsons/Safeway marriage and the paring down of the product lines.

Depressing here in the PNW.

Trusted Contributor

I'm shocked that the FTC was awake enough to block this!

Respected Contributor

It hasn't been blocked yet. The FTC is joining several states that are suing. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I hope they do get to merge!  I'd love to see that.

What's your reasoning for wanting the two companies to merge, @Sooner?  Curious because I do not see any advantage for customers.

@tansy I can see that it might bring more stores and services to areas that don't have enough grocery stores. I think Kroger's delivery model would be a great fit to expand and grow that service with Albertsons.  I think it would be beneficial to a lot of people.

I don't see any issues with it if we get a stronger food supply chain and more jobs and services.  Why on earth not?

Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone that posted information!

Respected Contributor

Kroger owns the Pick n Save stores in Wisconsin and they leave much to be desired. We avoid them at all possible costs. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kroger has no presence in New England.  If they buy Albertson's they will own Shaw's and Star Market.

There is a Shaw's and a Star Market almost equi-distant from my home in opposite directions.  Their weekly sales circulars are identical and they accept each other's cards.

I don't think Kroger would open a store of their own around here since we also have Stop&Shop, Market Basket, Wegman's Hannaford's and Roche Brother's supermarkets around here.  They are all within a 10-20 minute drive from me except for Roche Bros. which is an ungodly 30 minutes!  

The only thing I could see Kroger doing here is combining Shaw's and Star into one name, but the 

loyal New Englanders who have always been Star Market shoppers would pitch a fit!

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

I think it needs to be blocked. In New Mexico, stores under the Kroger merger would have a monopoly. Food prices will rise because of lack of competition. The employees will not have competitive wage opportunities. 

We do not need to allow the stores selling our foods do what the manufacturers have done. When only 10 mega companies control the food supply, prices are manipulated world wide. Today's prices reflect that. Here is the chart if you have never seen it showing the ownership of the food brands.

IMG_0120.jpeg

@On It 

Same, it would not be good here in Colorado either.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Hi @Icegoddess 

I know your question wasn't directed to me, sorry to jump in. My reusable grocery bag that I bought from Acme here in the mid Atlantic has printed on it Acme and Safeway, which I think both are owed by Albertsons.

In Central California Von's and Safeway are the same. Their bags acknowledge that.

Where I live In the Pacific NorthWest, I notice that the Von's/Safeway stores in California and Haggen are the same. Don't know which one is the "mother" company, but the stores and their "house" brand were/are the same.

In Washington there is Kroger/Fred Meyer too. FM has a lot of Kroger brands.

@World Traveler 

At least here in SoCal, Albertson's is the parent company and they own Vons, Pavilions, and Safeway.  There are others, I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

Have a question.........I recently went to a Harris Teeter store and made a purchase. When I went to get cash back, there was a surcharge of $.75 for cash back under $100 and $3.75 for cash back over $100. 

Are any other stores doing this? 

A relative who works for Harris Teeter said the change came from Corporate.  Apparently the stores were going thru quite a bit of currency for customers requesting cash back.