Honored Contributor

FROM CNBC Simon Malls To Reopen

[ Edited ]

According to CNBC, Simon Malls will be reopening very soon.  Masks will be given out if asked for and shoppers will be asked to wear masks as will employees.

Surfaces will be regularly cleaned and employees are asked to take frequent hand washing breaks.

Greenville, SC Haywood Mall is included in the list in the article.

**edited to remove link**

Honored Contributor

Re: FROM CNBC Simon Malls To Reopen

We have a Simon in my city and Chick-fil-A closed during most of the time of the shutdown.  Last week while driving by the mall I saw a new big sign up that they were open doing drive thru and curb side.  I got so tickled thinking about "drive thru" from a mall location. I am sure all mall employees will be glad to get back to work. 

The hairdresser who works at the station next to my hairdresser, she works part time at Dillards.  Used to work part time at Macy's until we lost it so to have turn around and be out of work for both professions with a young family has got to be so hard.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

In one of our malls in NY, if a store has an entrance from the outside of the mall they can open. Target is open as are restaurants for pick up with an outside opening. BJ's also and some others.

Honored Contributor

NY is on pause until May 15 and then we will see how things start to re open and when

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The most important part of the re-openings of any business from my personal stance is that there will be jobs for those who need them.  Not being able to work is its own kind of death.  It kills hope and expectations, damages mental health and physical health.

I know, too, that many are ready to go and I do hope they will and do it right and remain healthy all over the country.

I'm still in the "show me - don't tell me" phase of the pandemic, but now it's show me was can re-open and be safe. I can stay home somewhat longer.   I don't want to, but I can and I will. So far no one has persuaded me onto the next phase.

Honored Contributor

What if you have to go to the bathroom? How many stalls will be available? How will you avoid people and will anybody be in there cleaning things after each person and maintaining order and social distancing? Sounds like not a lot of fun.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain Maybe whether you go shopping depends more upon where you live, our own judgement about your personal vulnerability, and even why you want to shop in the first place.

I have 3 strikes against me -  I live in densely populated areas, I'm already old, and I can't think of a single good reason to buy much of anything.

But I'll be watching and hoping good things for those who go.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I do not like the fact that they not making masks mandatory. We've been told time and time again that masks don't keep the wearer safe, they keep other people safe. If Simon Malls says employees must wear masks but shoppers do not need to, that just tells me that they value the health and safety of the shoppers over that of the employees.

That's a big NO from me. If a store is not requiring the shoppers to wear masks, that store is putting the workers at risk for profit.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I do not like the fact that they not making masks mandatory. We've been told time and time again that masks don't keep the wearer safe, they keep other people safe. If Simon Malls says employees must wear masks but shoppers do not need to, that just tells me that they value the health and safety of the shoppers over that of the employees.

That's a big NO from me. If a store is not requiring the shoppers to wear masks, that store is putting the workers at risk for profit.

If two shoppers aren't wearing masks then they are putting each other at risk too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

If two shoppers aren't wearing masks then they are putting each other at risk too.

Agreed, but they are there by choice and won't be fired or lose the ability to pay their rent if they don't go to Claire's for earings. Employees are obligated to show up and be exposed. I know in Texas if your employer opens and you don't feel it's safe to work, you can lose unemployment benefits if you lose your job. 

Anyone not wearing a mask is sending the same message: I only care about myself.