Honored Contributor

Re: FRIVOLOUS WRONGFUL DEATH SUIT?

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately in today's society RESPONSIBILITY has become a dirty word....it seems so many are pointing the finger at anyone but themselves.......

My family was impacted by this....my aunt just wouldn't give up smoking.....she even got a wakeup call---they caught an episode of cancer early.......she was treated and was considered a survivor, she was doing great, sadly she picked up the tobacco habit again and this time sadly cancer won, and family and friends lost a person dear to our hearts..  So tragic ---and no matter all the research and warnings and press which has provided all the education, all the urging by doctors, family, and friends on how bad it is, this addiction continues to take lives.....And look at the money people waste on their tobacco habit--YET people pay it no mind and continue on with it.....and it all boils on to the choices THEY MAKE!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I agree. The real blame lies with lack of tort reform. Certain lawsuits without merit should be disallowed. The attorney lobby in most states prevent this from happening.  

The power lies within state legislatures to stop this. Ultimately it costs us all.

Honored Contributor

I'm definitelyu anti=tobacco -  lost my father when he was 61 (before there were surgeon's warnings on tobacco), my older brother at 62+10 days (he "should have known better"), and my significant other at 69.

One thought though -  should the individual be the only responsible party?  If those running the company making profits from selling damaging, addictive products to teens whose brains are not fully developed know what they are doing, why are we expecting a 15 year old not be partake and become addicted? 

I'd spread the blame around  -  not many of the thousands of teens I knew in my years in secondary classrooms made great life-decisions on a regular basis.  Even parents of "good kids" hold their breathe for many years!

Valued Contributor

Cigarette companies have added all kinds of things to tobacco to make it more addicting. At points they've targeted their marketing toward women and younger folks. They haven't stopped producing their product even though they've known for a while that it kills.  I'm glad they are being sued. In fact, I hope they get enough law suits to put them out of business.

Now if only the families of the dead could sue gun manufacturers.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

Frivolous?

Of course not.

"Since when....?"   Back in the early 80's was when. That was the same he started chewing & playing ball.

He had noncancerous salivary tumors removed...but later still had issues with the glands in his face.  Doctors say there's no connection between salivary cancer & chewing, but there's always a first.   

Hope the estate of Tony Gwynn wins.  

Wins big. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I'm definitelyu anti=tobacco -  lost my father when he was 61 (before there were surgeon's warnings on tobacco), my older brother at 62+10 days (he "should have known better"), and my significant other at 69.

One thought though -  should the individual be the only responsible party?  If those running the company making profits from selling damaging, addictive products to teens whose brains are not fully developed know what they are doing, why are we expecting a 15 year old not be partake and become addicted? 

I'd spread the blame around  -  not many of the thousands of teens I knew in my years in secondary classrooms made great life-decisions on a regular basis.  Even parents of "good kids" hold their breathe for many years!

Once the age of 18 is reached, by law a person is no longer considered "a kid". Depending on how they were raised and the environment they chose to place themselves? The less dependent "kids" are on their parents, at a certain age? If is my experience with many "kids" they have and use more of a thing called "common sense" before making what could be, life altering decisions.

Male brains, from what I have heard and read, are not "fully cooked" until age 23. Does that me others should be responsible for their bad choices in life? Not in my book. I was 15 once and there were choices to be made in many facets of my life. Some were wrong, some were right. Later in life I worked on changing those that were negative.

Unfortunately in this era of time, seems like nobody is responsible for what they willingly chose to do, and way too many close to them empower those persons by agreeing with them. 

I will never "spread the blame around" for decisions made by anyone deemed legally to be any adult?

Too many forget that many that died for our freedoms in WWII , were still in their teens. Fully developed brains or not, they were by law not all by choice, to unknown countries, to fight unknown, to them, enemy combatants.

No, I will never place any blame on someone or something, for any adult's choices in their lives.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

Cigarette companies have added all kinds of things to tobacco to make it more addicting. At points they've targeted their marketing toward women and younger folks. They haven't stopped producing their product even though they've known for a while that it kills.  I'm glad they are being sued. In fact, I hope they get enough law suits to put them out of business.

Some never give up. Guns?  They do not make bad choices, that would be up to the person holding it. If that person makes a bad choice? They should be held responsible, but the gun manufacturers? Only if they produced a defective product, or maybe even the irresponsible owner(ya know, their momma or poppa)?

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

As long as they are selling addictive products that have no benefit to humanity they can be sued as far as I'm concerned. They purposely engineer cigarettes to keep people addicted and they add ingredients that a specifically carcinogens. No sympathy from me at all. Let them sue and hope they get a bundle. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Maudelynn - and that is what this case is all about.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely frivolous!  This is the American Way these days.  Anybody can sue for anything in the world -- and they do.