Honored Contributor

Re: FRIENDS IN TAMPA area and all FL WEST COAST check in when you can!

@loveschocolate wrote:

Jim Cantore has moved from his Miami location and tweeted 2 hours ago from Estero. I don't know where that is in Florida. 

Estero is on the west coast of FL, near Ft Myers and Naples.

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

Jim Cantore has moved from his Miami location and tweeted 2 hours ago from Estero. I don't know where that is in Florida. 

@loveschocolate- right by Ft. Myers. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Hope those on the EAST coast of Florida are safe and well sheltered, too. My brother is in Kendall, just south of Miami. His wife just had knee replacement surgery barely 2 weeks ago. She's got very limited mobility so she could not be in a car for hours or waiting in line to get a place in a shelter. 

They are staying in their house which was reinforced to meet hurricane standards for windows, doors and roof several years ago at great cost. I hope it pays off! They have a generator with a switch to take them off the city's electric grid so the generator runs independently, and fuel to run the generator for several days.  Plenty of food and supplies, my brother assured me. 

Even with the preparation and planning they've done, I am still scared for them both in their 70s and my SIL just only in the mend. Just because the hurricane is trending west, it doesn't mean that Eastern Florida is out of danger. 

Pray for everyone. Let's hear from our Florida forum members everywhere. 

@gizmogal

Sounds like they're well protected from wind damage and loss of power.  What's their elevation like, in terms of the storm surge? Do you know if they're in zone A or a higher lever? We have a family member at home north of Tampa, but she's on high ground.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett