Reply
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Posts: 188
Registered: ‎10-09-2017

Re: FRESH PRODUCE

[ Edited ]

Fresh veggies & fruit only & always. Of course they get washed. Current evidence which continues to evolve states the virus can't be contacted thru food. It's a respiratory virus.

 

Washing fresh veggies & fruit is a must at all times.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,457
Registered: ‎05-27-2015

@goldenlocks wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

confused.gif

 

You're suppose to wash fresh produce prior to puting them in the fridge anyway.  


Oh!  I didn't know, @Mz iMac .  I've been doing it bassakwards all my life!Woman LOL  I always thought if you washed first, they'd spoil faster.  Guess I had that one wrong!  Thank you.


@goldenlocksUh, oh!  I was always taught to wash them just before using too. My parents had a truck farm, and we didn't wash anything until ready to use, unless it was full of dirt.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 947
Registered: ‎07-31-2011

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@goldenlocks Washing citrus with soapy water and scrub brush. Triple washing kale, boccoli, cauliflower, etc. and then cooking. Using frozen berries. Stocked up on some frozen veggies, but only allowed 4 per shopping trip.


Your not supposed  to wash anything you put in your mouth with soap

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,652
Registered: ‎01-05-2015

Re: FRESH PRODUCE

[ Edited ]

 


@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@goldenlocks Washing citrus with soapy water and scrub brush. Triple washing kale, boccoli, cauliflower, etc. and then cooking. Using frozen berries. Stocked up on some frozen veggies, but only allowed 4 per shopping trip

 

 

@willomenia  wrote:

 

Your not supposed  to wash anything you put in your mouth with soap


 

@willomenia @PA Mom-mom @goldenlocks ...You can use baking soda in water to wash fresh produce thoroughly.

 

 

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,371
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

The norm around here seems to be that fresh produce in abundance but frozen veggies and fruit are nowhere to be seen.

 

We prefer fresh (although we miss our big bags of frozen blueberries.) We wash our produce before we cook or eat it.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,964
Registered: ‎08-03-2013

Re: FRESH PRODUCE

[ Edited ]

@goldenlocks wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

confused.gif

 

You're suppose to wash fresh produce prior to puting them in the fridge anyway.  


Oh!  I didn't know, @Mz iMac .  I've been doing it bassakwards all my life!Woman LOL  I always thought if you washed first, they'd spoil faster.  Guess I had that one wrong!  Thank you.


 

@goldenlocks  that's what I heard also. Debbie Myers who sells the green bags/boxes on HSN is always emphatic about not washing produce until you're ready to eat. If you google "should you wash produce before storing" you will find many articles from many sources that say you should not.

 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,354
Registered: ‎02-14-2017
I have always given my fresh produce a bath in vinegar solution when I bring it home from the market.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,519
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

No. I wash it before I eat it. I have red grapes, strawberries plus I bought 10 lbs of organic apples. I like to eat them daily.

I have frozen fruit in the freezer for smoothies.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 381
Registered: ‎01-27-2020

We buy both frozen and fresh.  Mostly fresh.  Washing before putting in fridge does cause it to spoil sooner.  Just wash WELL before eating (no soap).  You will be OK.