Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop   My Dad did the same as your relative.  Dad's cancer had gone to his bones and his liver by the time it was discovered.

He had one round of chemo and said "no more".  He died a month later.  He got everything taken care of that he needed to.  He died in October but he had given my sister money in Sept. to get Mom a Christmas gift because he knew he wouldn't be here.

Honored Contributor

Your endorsement of prayer is eloquent and inspiring, @JasoninBoston --  thank you.

Respected Contributor

I read about this yesterday. It is very sad. He lived a long life, but news like this is never easy to hear.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

Treatment in this case could possibly be palliative radiation. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I have always respected this fine man and consider him a hero. I assume the treatment is palliative as his disease is not curable. I wish him and Elizabeth only the best as they deal with this cruel disease. May he not suffer.

Honored Contributor

ss-120530-bob-dole-08_e275153ee99ff67cf91ce580b0441be9.jpg

4f25922fbf0c01f81b9a81431961fae9--military-service-warfare.jpg

bob-dole-pen-gettyimages-50478270.jpg

Esteemed Contributor
Cancer treatments are not the same for everyone. At an advanced age, the doses are calibrated and may be just to keep him comfortable. My neighbor was diagnosed at 99 for a rare cancer in her jaw. She elected to undergo treatment. I asked her why, gently, and she said simply “I want to live”. It’s a simple statement. She went thru treatment with no side effects and made it to 101 and died peacefully from natural causes. She used the gym thru her chemo treatment & the worst thing for her was the hair loss. Everyone is different and cancer treatment takes many forms. I wish him well as he is a tough & well respected gentleman.
Honored Contributor

Love the photos, oznell!  Thank you.

They've always seemed to be a jolly and loving couple.  Easy-going, yet with great dignity (at least, that is how I view them).

I wonder if they still live at the Watergate.  Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

@Stray,  what an illuminating story about your neighbor-- thank you so much for sharing that.  The impulse toward life can burn bright, at any age.  As my mother poignantly said, not long before she died, "life is sweet".

I'm not sure if they're still there either, @golding76 .   Agreed, they are a delightful couple!  She so gracious, and he, with his dry, irrepressible humor... 

It is so humbling to think of Bob Dole--  his long-tested stoicism, service to his country, and then spending 3 years--3 years!--- in hospitals after his grave injury in World War II, and the disabling of his arm and hand, and all he suffered.  A great, great man.

Honored Contributor

This is a thread about a politician from a particular political party. It says senator in the title. Let's be clear exactly what we're discussing here. We've lost some amazing political figures in the last few years and I mourn their loss. I won't name them, even though this thread does name a political figure.

As to the former senator's illness, I hope he recovers fully, like I do anyone with cancer. None of us deserve to be ill. And all of us want to live as long (and healthy) as we can no matter how old we are. Best wishes to him and his family.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr