Honored Contributor

Re: FORMER COSBY SHOW CAST MEMBER SAYS ....

"I wonder how Joseph Phillips is so sure.  Did he see the master in action or was he too a victim?"

I read his entire article in another source.  He was close friends with a young woman who suffered the Cosby one/two of drugs and rape.  She was left devastated and finally told Phillips about it.  She cried for a long time, still not past the trauma.

He knew her well, she offered details.  He believed everything she told him

That's how he knew.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

I always wonder if Oprah knew anything.  When I was mesmerized by Oprah I was so disappointed when she picked a couple of his kids books for her book club.

Oprah? What does she have to do with any of this? Maybe she picked his kids' books because she thought they were worthy. Why implicate her in HIS issues? 

Um, because Cosby's nasty  reputation was very well known to insiders ?

So you're saying you know for a fact that Oprah was aware he was a rapist? Has she even made any comments regarding him? Her show ended how long ago? I'm not an "insider," so I question why Oprah is even a factor here.

Oh good grief, re-read my comments, I didn't say I knew for a FACT that Oprah knew,  but his bad behavior goes back to 1965 and industry insiders all knew about him .... so it stands to reason that someone as successful as lady O at least HEARD about this ..... but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't go so far as to make him look bad .... the black community would have been all over her if she did that!

Since you seem to be missing some key facts here, here's the link to the 1965-2014 rape scandal story TV Guide researched on Cosby.   I'd be curious as to your thoughts on this:

http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/cosby-rape-scandal-timeline-1090706/

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I have been wondering lately about Lisa Bonet.  She and Bill Cosby didn't get along.  I seem to remember that she left the show because he didn't like the choice of a movie she made??  Was there more to it perhaps?  Maybe he was inappropriate with her, too, and she wouldn't stand for it.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised.

You could be very right.

I always had a theory about her departure and return. She was definitely a  'free spirt',  'wild child', both her character, and Lisa herself.

I think Bill wanted that show to portray and validate what he wanted people to believe he was. He wanted people to believe he was Dr. Cliff Huxtable. And in many aspects he was. A husband, a father, a very educated AA man. He wanted people to believe that black families could be wealthy, educated, talented, and that the AA father could suppor and  run his household and be the king of his castle, faithful to his wife, and an all around good guy. Prior to this show, most AA families in sitcoms were fatherless, living in poverty, or exaggerated characters that got more so as the seasons progressed.

Any of the cast that did anything to jeopardize that, was going to have to be dealt with, and strongly. I'm sure there was more than one issue as to why she left, but I'm thinking he felt the need to control his 'children' both on screen and off, so as not to bring attention to what he was doing.

I also have to wonder, in years to come, especially after his death, if several tell all books will be written by former cast members of his shows, that will show just how much others really did know.

After he passes, any books that will be written about him won't be worth the paper they're printed on. Now is the time to talk, while he's still here. 

He makes me so sick. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@NickNack1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

Mominohio, I am talking about the 70s and 80s too.  I had a good friend in the early 1980s that was raped on a date.  There was no way she was going to report it!  And it didn't help that we had a local case on trial getting media coverage where the defense attorney was demonizing the woman that testified against the perp that was going on at the same time that this happened to her.  My friend kept saying there was no way she was going to put herself through that.  And she didn't either.  We are not talking that this only occurred back in the 1940s/1950s....this wasn't all that uncommon during the 70s and mid 1980s either. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great post. I don't understand  women being blamed for Cosby's behavior.

Not at all blaming the women for his behavior, as he drugged some (many?) of them. But their behavior afterward is on them. That they took money or favors to keep quiet (I'm sure that is some, but not all), or that they didn't try to report is just not in sync with the time which this occurred. Yes, even today, some women don't want to report these types of assaults, but the 'issues' are with them, and not society. People have to stand up and fight against this type of thing when it happens to them. It is more accepted and easier to do as each decade progresses, and social awarness increases. It was perhaps a little harder in those decades, but not enough for this many women to have allowed themselves to be bought off or be running scared. He was powerful, no doubt, but bigger men were being brought down with such scandals during the same time frame. I'm thinking many of them, while not choosing the position, were willing to sell out once there. 

What makes you think they took money to be quiet?  I agree that the woman whose record was just unsealed did, but I haven't heard this about any of the others.  I saw an interview that Anderson Cooper did with one of the women.  She was in charge of the Playboy bunnies at the mansion.  She said that the next morning she was planning on reporting the incident and told her boss.  He told her that no one would believe her and she should keep quiet.  I'm sure that's how they all felt.

You answered that yourself.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

WHY, WHY, WHY are there always people who want to criticize women who are the victims of rape or other assault?  Even how they behave after? 

Have you never read that rape is a traumatic event and women suffer for years after?  Many gain tremendous amounts of weight because of the assault.  We don't expect them to put on their clothes and walk out as if they were not suffering.

Honest to God, I do not understand the lack of compassion and the eagerness to somehow blame the victim.  And don't for a minute think you would handle it any differently.  We are not all alike, not every rape is alike.

My point exactly, We are all not alike, yet none of these women came forward.  I don't blame them for what happened to them, but I do hold them responsible for their actions and behaviors afterward. There is a mixed bag of taking money to be quiet, taking favors in the business, and just plain letting down those who came after them by not coming forward. None of them deserved it, but once it happens, whether it is easy or not, career ruining or not, the truth matters. Everyone is upset (me as well) that Bill didn't tell the truth and do the right thing, and I hold the women as a group, to no different standard. Things like this don't stop, if those most affected don't come forward. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

WHY, WHY, WHY are there always people who want to criticize women who are the victims of rape or other assault?  Even how they behave after? 

Have you never read that rape is a traumatic event and women suffer for years after?  Many gain tremendous amounts of weight because of the assault.  We don't expect them to put on their clothes and walk out as if they were not suffering.

Honest to God, I do not understand the lack of compassion and the eagerness to somehow blame the victim.  And don't for a minute think you would handle it any differently.  We are not all alike, not every rape is alike.

My point exactly, We are all not alike, yet none of these women came forward.  I don't blame them for what happened to them, but I do hold them responsible for their actions and behaviors afterward. There is a mixed bag of taking money to be quiet, taking favors in the business, and just plain letting down those who came after them by not coming forward. None of them deserved it, but once it happens, whether it is easy or not, career ruining or not, the truth matters. Everyone is upset (me as well) that Bill didn't tell the truth and do the right thing, and I hold the women as a group, to no different standard. Things like this don't stop, if those most affected don't come forward. 

Wow ..... It's so easy to point a finger and blame the victims because they didn't react the way you think they should have .... but rape is the most underreported crime in America.     Women who've been victimized and humiliated (especially in a time where police support was virtually non-existent)  find it extremely difficult to talk to the police.

(By the way, a few did talk to the police and things went nowhere ... the women were told it was a waste of time.)