Esteemed Contributor

Re: FORMER COSBY SHOW CAST MEMBER SAYS ....

Has Phylicia Rashad made any statements since the beginning of this debacle?...With all of the negativity regarding his reputation in the industry and how much he was disliked, I wonder how she managed to work with him?

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

Mominohio, I am talking about the 70s and 80s too.  I had a good friend in the early 1980s that was raped on a date.  There was no way she was going to report it!  And it didn't help that we had a local case on trial getting media coverage where the defense attorney was demonizing the woman that testified against the perp that was going on at the same time that this happened to her.  My friend kept saying there was no way she was going to put herself through that.  And she didn't either.  We are not talking that this only occurred back in the 1940s/1950s....this wasn't all that uncommon during the 70s and mid 1980s either. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great post. I don't understand  women being blamed for Cosby's behavior.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@brii wrote:

While I find Bill Cosby thorouly disgusting, I am equally disgusted by all the people that knew about his behavior but kept quiet all these years. 

This is what aggervates me about this. How pitiful that so many women kept quiet after experiencing this. I've said it before, and I really mean, that I don't understand how someone who was victimized didn't come foreward, because there were so many. It wasn't the 1950's anymore. Women were empowered and this was no longer a reason for a woman to be ashamed. Had it been only one or two, I can see where they may not have come foreward, but so many, that chose money to keep quiet, or allowed themselves to be intimidated. What are the chances of that? Makes me sad that women didn't stand up,and each one allowed more victims to be had, because they didn't speak up.

And others in the business that probably knew this, and were afraid to bring it to the forefront, or at least approach the women and help them to report it and seek help aren't much better than he is.

It was a much different time, and those women didn't know there were others!

I wouldn't doubt that Cosby intimidated them or told them to keep quiet "if they know what's good for them" .....  he was powerful and successful .... and there was no such thing as DNA and rape kits to corroborate the physical evidence.  

I'm sure Cosby would have his lawyer say the woman was lying in hopes of extorting money, and back then the police weren't very sympathetic to those "frivolous" reports.

The most recent Cosby case that I know of was in 2007-2008 yes there was DNA tests and rape kits. DNA testing has been around since 1985 and the first criminal conviction that used DNA was in 1987. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: FORMER COSBY SHOW CAST MEMBER SAYS .... To

it would be nice if people would get the laws changed for crimes like these so theres no statue of limitations. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

Mominohio, I am talking about the 70s and 80s too.  I had a good friend in the early 1980s that was raped on a date.  There was no way she was going to report it!  And it didn't help that we had a local case on trial getting media coverage where the defense attorney was demonizing the woman that testified against the perp that was going on at the same time that this happened to her.  My friend kept saying there was no way she was going to put herself through that.  And she didn't either.  We are not talking that this only occurred back in the 1940s/1950s....this wasn't all that uncommon during the 70s and mid 1980s either. 

Hi Lila Belle!  I know, I remember being outraged at the time and even wrote a paper in college about these situations.  It was horrendous how these women were treated during the course of a trial.  And at least in this area, it was darn hard to get a conviction for a situation in which the woman was in some type of a social setting with the male.  They were torn apart on the stand, the defense attorney went more for male jurors, and usually the jury acquitted.  At least here they did. 

I don't recall, the entire play of events that led to changes in laws but I know they finally changed the laws so that a woman's dress, etc. was not the issue of her testimony.  I also remember several movies in the 1980s that dealt with this part of our legal system at least in some part of the plot.  Hmmm....can't remember specifically, but didn't Jodie Foster play a role in a movie that dealt with this subject?  Geez....I just can't remember now.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

Yes.
Honored Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Hard tp believe he was able to keep his hands off the lovely, Phylicia Rashad. I doubt she would have stood any harassment for very long.

Well he had to know her football star husband at the time could easily kick his rear end. Plus she doesn't seem the type to suffer fools anyway. 

I remember a film clip from an interview Cosby did about the show ..... and he said he liked Ahmad Rashad, but didn't like that he got Felicia pregnant and it affected HIS show .... it was a very bizarre statement.

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

Not at all blaming the women for his behavior, as he drugged some (many?) of them. But their behavior afterward is on them. That they took money or favors to keep quiet (I'm sure that is some, but not all), or that they didn't try to report is just not in sync with the time which this occurred. Yes, even today, some women don't want to report these types of assaults, but the 'issues' are with them, and not society. People have to stand up and fight against this type of thing when it happens to them. It is more accepted and easier to do as each decade progresses, and social awarness increases. It was perhaps a little harder in those decades, but not enough for this many women to have allowed themselves to be bought off or be running scared. He was powerful, no doubt, but bigger men were being brought down with such scandals during the same time frame. I'm thinking many of them, while not choosing the position, were willing to sell out once there. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Hard tp believe he was able to keep his hands off the lovely, Phylicia Rashad. I doubt she would have stood any harassment for very long.

Well he had to know her football star husband at the time could easily kick his rear end. Plus she doesn't seem the type to suffer fools anyway. 

I remember a film clip from an interview Cosby did about the show ..... and he said he liked Ahmad Rashad, but didn't like that he got Felicia pregnant and it affected HIS show .... it was a very bizarre statement.

I heard that too. I'd love to know how Phylicia Rashad feels now about all of this- she arrograntly, adamantly defended Mr. Cosby (as she calls him) on an interview a while back. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I heard that too. I'd love to know how Felicia Rashad feels now about all of this- she arrograntly, adamantly defended Mr. Cosby (as she calls him) on an interview a while back. 

Yeah ,,,, she was SO indignant about them ruining  his so-called "legacy" .....  she must have gotten a lot of heat for that mistake, so I'm guessing she thinks it's better to keep her mouth SHUT ......  in my opinion.