Honored Contributor

Is going to make masks,and ventilator.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

None of these companies needs any 'permission' from any govt official to begin making masks, shields, hospital clothing.

JUST GO and make the best out of what these companies can do.

I see on the news Drs/Nurses in Europe and China just how covered up they are from head to toe. Where do they get their gear from? Why aren't our people dressing like they are in other countries?

Let's GO American business companies, get back to your factories and take charge yourselves for OUR Drs & Nurses.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Elon Musk has also stepped up! Kudos to both and any other companies who step up!

Elon Musk's coming to the rescue as Los Angeles gears up to fight the deadly coronavirus ... because he's already following through with a promise to supply ventilators to patients in need.

California Governor Gavin Newsom just said the Tesla founder has already delivered the 1,000 ventilators he promised to Los Angeles, this less than a week after Elon said he was ready to pitch in for relief efforts with some much-needed medical supplies.

As we reported ... Elon offered to have one of his Tesla factories start making ventilators to help battle the COVID-19 pandemic after catching some flak on social media.

Elon said Tesla would start making ventilators if there was a shortage -- health experts say there already is one -- and he's already made it happen. Amazing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

None of these companies needs any 'permission' from any govt official to begin making masks, shields, hospital clothing.

JUST GO and make the best out of what these companies can do.

I see on the news Drs/Nurses in Europe and China just how covered up they are from head to toe. Where do they get their gear from? Why aren't our people dressing like they are in other countries?

Let's GO American business companies, get back to your factories and take charge yourselves for OUR Drs & Nurses.

Some of these companies have been gearing up to do just that for some time.  Well before the government stepped in and asked for their help.  They're innovative and imaginative, working with other companies.  

Our private corporations have a long history of stepping up to address emergency situations and I'm glad to see that many still do.  Like many here have expressed, I hope that we, as a country, now see how important it is to maintain certain industries and manufacturing capabilities here in our own country in the future.

Frequent Contributor

My sons an Engineer for Ford Motor Co. Praying all workers are safe. God Bless the USA!

Honored Contributor

This is really good news.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Currently all Ford Motor Company plants are shut down in the US I believe through the end of this week.  They did this to deep clean the plants and establish protocols for running the lines.  Several workers in a couple of plants tested positive for the cronavirus.

All GM plants are currently closed as well.

What we do know is that Ford has obtained a supply of a couple of thousand N95 respirator masks that are being distributed to hospitals.

They also developed a volunteer protocol for workers laid off to volunteer to work on making face shields.  They have something like a 1,000 face shields that are now under study in Detriot area hospitals for efficacy.  The Detroit plants continues to produce the shields and hopefully they will successfully pass the efficacy tests.  People don't hear about these as much as masks, but are still an essential component of PPE for health care workers.

Ford is collaborating with GE with the goal of trying to make a simplified version of a mechanical ventilator that GE already makes.  GE currently makes ventilators here in Wisconsin.  At the current time there are not specific plans in place to start production.  Hopefully they will be able to come up with something soon.

And the masks are not like what most people are thinking of probably. They are called air purifying respirators that are battery powered I believe.  Any individual working with COVID-19 are at very high risk for infection since studies have shown that many procedures performed cause the virus to become aersolized & therefore are more contagious than respiratory droplet.  The longer health care workers are exposed, they also get an increased viral load from patients (one of the reasons the mortality rate among doctors and nurses occur) so this type of appartus would be certainly beneficial.  Ford is currently collaborating with 3M to come up with a design and manufacturing protocols to make them.

My husband is retired from Ford Motor Company and has been keeping up with all the details, but that is what is known at this time.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota 

Thank you for such an informative post about what Ford is doing to assist in this crisis!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom, I just happen to know this since DH is retired from Ford and is active in the retiree association they have.   They also have a closed Facebook page that even he gets on, which is actually hysterical since he doesn't "do" Facebook.  But he has been on it quite a bit lately to see what they are doing and the latest announcements.   I tease him about it all the time. LOL!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Frequent Contributor

Except..and according to Gov Como..it will take toooooo long..6 months..he said it would be to late to help the current situation.

I do applaud the effort for future stockpiles.