Honored Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE AMAZON

@patofl wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
Companies like Sears wrote their own epitaph because of horrible management, not because of Amazon. I have more issues with Wal-Mart than I do Amazon.

I agree with that.  Always hated Sears and they were on the way out years ago.

What actually hurt stores like Sears , and JCPenney was that people had credit cards at these stores and frequently shopped there because they could buy on credit. Then the visa, MasterCard, discover phenomenon happened, and instantly people had credit anywhere & everywhere.

AND the minimum payment due was $5.  Sears was the first credit card I got when I moved out on my own in 1982.  It was key to my survival.  I could get my car fixed, get my hair cut and get anything I needed for my apartment there and only pay $5 a month.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips

I hear what you are saying, but you know who else is on Amazon?  Hundreds of small businesses that otherwise would have no place to operate, sell their items, or employ their own employees.  Research the ridiculously escalating costs of retail leases across the country.  The majority of small businesses, with steady healthy sales, have still been forced out because the commercial real estate industry is gouging them for every last dollar.  They cannot afford to keep their store open by paying the rent for their space.

Those small businesses turn to places like Etsy, eBay, and Amazon just to survive. 

So the commonly discussed story that Amazon is the big, bad wolf, is not the complete story, by a long shot. There are many factors, and the commercial real estate factor is a huge one. 

It's not just retail companies being forced out of their spaces.  Many small businesses in varying industries have closed because they can no longer afford their lease.  A small business-research firm can not turn to Amazon.  What happens to them, and other service (not product) small businesses?  A lot of them are gone now, and their employees have to turn to much lower paying jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Puppy Lips

I hear what you are saying, but you know who else is on Amazon?  Hundreds of small businesses that otherwise would have no place to operate, sell their items, or employ their own employees.  Research the ridiculously escalating costs of retail leases across the country.  The majority of small businesses, with steady healthy sales, have still been forced out because the commercial real estate industry is gouging them for every last dollar.  They cannot afford to keep their store open by paying the rent for their space.

Those small businesses turn to places like Etsy, eBay, and Amazon just to survive. 

So the commonly discussed story that Amazon is the big, bad wolf, is not the complete story, by a long shot. There are many factors, and the commercial real estate factor is a huge one. 

It's not just retail companies being forced out of their spaces.  Many small businesses in varying industries have closed because they can no longer afford their lease.  A small business-research firm can not turn to Amazon.  What happens to them, and other service (not product) small businesses?  A lot of them are gone now, and their employees have to turn to much lower paying jobs.

@Caaareful Shopper Yes, I agree with what you are saying.  In our small touristy town, the leases are unbelievably expensive for the store fronts in our historic downtown area.  Since we have been here 11 years, we have seen many stores come and go, and there are always empty spaces.  Frankly I blame greedy landlords in our situation.  Also, for those who don't know, when other businesses sell on Amazon, Amazon takes a HEFTY fee, cutting into the profits of the companies using and selling on Amazon's website.  So Amazon is not being "nice" by allowing others to sell, they are making a huge profit as well.  Nothing wrong with profits, but they are looking out for themselves first and foremost.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Georgiagrama"Bill Gates of Apple fame" faint.gif

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right about now. whistling.gif

@Mz iMac

I did edit the original post.  I think it reads more accurately now. Smiley LOL 

Super Contributor

I love Amazon. Shopping in the comfort of my home. I get anxiety shopping at the mall.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Puppy Lips

@Caaareful Shopper Yes, I agree with what you are saying.  In our small touristy town, the leases are unbelievably expensive for the store fronts in our historic downtown area.  Since we have been here 11 years, we have seen many stores come and go, and there are always empty spaces.  Frankly I blame greedy landlords in our situation.  Also, for those who don't know, when other businesses sell on Amazon, Amazon takes a HEFTY fee, cutting into the profits of the companies using and selling on Amazon's website.  So Amazon is not being "nice" by allowing others to sell, they are making a huge profit as well.  Nothing wrong with profits, but they are looking out for themselves first and foremost.

Of course they are.  That's what businesses do, and that's what successful businesses are good at.  They're in business to make money - just like QVC, just like Macy's, just like the corner deli, just like any business, large or small.

@Caaareful Shopper made a very good point.  Lots of small businesses that would have no chance of surviving on their own have been very successful thanks to the opportunity offered by Amazon.  I don't have a problem with Amazon charging a fee - They're providing a service.  I don't know what the fees are, but clearly many, many small businesses have determined that it's still profitable for them, and they're very happy to be staying afloat and building their businesses without a lot of the headaches and expenses normally associated with owning a small business.  All of this is about business and free enterprise.  It's not about being "nice".  Amazon offers an opportunity, and people with small businesses are certainly free to figure out if it makes sense for them, and then get onboard or not.

I understand that not everyone likes Amazon, and that's fine.  But it's not the root of all evil.  It's a shopping website, and anyone who chooses to shop elsewhere is welcome to do so and not give Amazon another thought.

Esteemed Contributor

Hey… I learned last night Jeff Bezos has a rocket company. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I understand the concerns about Amazon eclipsing everything. But Amazon for me has some pros. First, I don't own a car so it's hard for me to get out to stores all the time. I go when I'm off work and take the bus but the transit system here is still pretty antiquated and doesn't run on weekends and holidays. So I do a lot of online shopping and Amazon has pretty much everything.

Second, Amazon is a great place if you're needing certain items for larger people that other places don't carry, and sometimes the price is cheaper. I bought a camp chair that I can take to the beach, outdoor concerts, parades. I also use it as my porch chair when I'm outside sitting in nice weather. It's sturdy and I don't have to worry about it collapsing under me. I also bought my bed frame there to replace the original one, which was all wood with slats that were not set in place. 

Honored Contributor

I believe Bezos is getting into finance for the businesses who need help getting a start.

I don't think we are going to see the World Bank of Bezos or a New World Bezos Order anytime soon.  lmao

Amazon didn't start the downfall of some businesses; cheap products, high prices, lack of interest in customers and what those customers want started long before Bezos showed up.

Stores have closed in malls since malls started showing up. 

I don't know about Bezos as a corporate boss; I've heard good and bad so sorting that out-I'll leave up to the employees.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh