Trusted Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE AMAZON

They came up with an idea that works.  Why would I not shop with them just because they are expanding?  Supply and demand, I think you would have a difficult time to get people to think about or care what they do.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama"Bill Gates of Apple fame" faint.gif

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right about now. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Well, I personally love and support Amazon and am grateful every time I need a hard to find item, or an item I can't run from store to store looking for.

I am grateful to have Prime membership with which I watch movies, read books. listen to music and have my packages shipped in two days safe and sound. 

Many people I know are working over the Christmas season because of them.  There are not an abundance of jobs where I live and Wal Mart can't hire them all.  

If they are expanding, good for them. Bill Gates of Apple fame may have been instrumental as an example as how businesses can expand.  Just look at QVC - branching out all over the world and now, purchasing HSN.  Hmmmm what next?

To begrudge any successful company the right to expand and branch out is just beyond my understanding.  It's not like Amazon is taking jobs from anyone or causing the neighborhood 5&10 from closing and if any one closes and blames it on Amazon, they need to look around at the stores that are flourishing and take note. (Ex. Dollar General in the least likely places I've ever seen)    Have you not heard the news about the closings at "mammouth" GM -  after sending most jobs overseas?  

Nope, Amazon should be of no concern for you.  Rest easy @Puppy Lips  this country has worse things on it's plate.

@Georgiagrama.  Bill Gates of Apple fame? I think not!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

For those of you who love and support Amazon, please think about this.  Not only have they taken over the world of retail and caused the closure of and struggle for so many long standing stores, they have gotten into many other businesses.  They are now into grocery stores, banking, insurance, transporation, and I just heard they are building an airport.   I am sure there are other areas of which I am not aware.  When (not if) Amazon affects the income/business (or job loss) for you, your spouse, your children, or your grandchildren, you may look at this mammouth company differently, and not be so pleased anymore.

Yes I have occassionaly ordered from Amazon.  But I buy local and from other online sources whenever I can.  I do not want to see a future where everything is owned by and comes from Amazon.  What do you think will happen to prices then?

I recenly had an Amazon delivery at my home.  It was a woman, in an unmarked SUV, who pulled up my driveway, with a car full of kids and packages, and she got out to deliver ours.  The same thing happened at our office, but this guy had no kids in the car.  Who are these people?  I don't have any reason to not trust them, but it made me a bit uneasy just the same.

I am just asking those of you who care to think about this and give me some feedback.  Am I worried for nothing?  I don't think so.  What do you think?

@Puppy Lips  WalMart did it first I guess.  I think you are worried for nothing.  There are a lot better things to worry about and you can't do anything about it anyway. 

The world moves on, things change, and us oldersters think the world is going to h e double l in a handbasket.  So far it hasn't.  And it probably won't in our time.  

Regular Contributor

Let alone having to drive in New Jersey. Crazy, rude drivers. 

Trusted Contributor

When you live in rural America and you have to drive an hour to shop, amazon is a godsend.  I do almost all my shopping on line with the exception of groceries.  With free shipping and really fast shipping they make my life so much easier.  And did I mention their customer service.?  The absolute best.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Georgiagrama"Bill Gates of Apple fame" faint.gif

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right about now. whistling.gif

@Mz iMac

Sorry, I get those two mixed up.  Hopefully, I still made my point while showing my ignorance of who is who with what. Although, I don't seem to have reassured Puppy Lips in the least.   I love  your little emojis by the way. Smiley LOL 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Georgiagrama wrote:

Well, I personally love and support Amazon and am grateful every time I need a hard to find item, or an item I can't run from store to store looking for.

I am grateful to have Prime membership with which I watch movies, read books. listen to music and have my packages shipped in two days safe and sound. 

Many people I know are working over the Christmas season because of them.  There are not an abundance of jobs where I live and Wal Mart can't hire them all.  

If they are expanding, good for them. Bill Gates of Apple fame may have been instrumental as an example as how businesses can expand.  Just look at QVC - branching out all over the world and now, purchasing HSN.  Hmmmm what next?

To begrudge any successful company the right to expand and branch out is just beyond my understanding.  It's not like Amazon is taking jobs from anyone or causing the neighborhood 5&10 from closing and if any one closes and blames it on Amazon, they need to look around at the stores that are flourishing and take note. (Ex. Dollar General in the least likely places I've ever seen)    Have you not heard the news about the closings at "mammouth" GM -  after sending most jobs overseas?  

Nope, Amazon should be of no concern for you.  Rest easy @Puppy Lips  this country has worse things on it's plate.

@Georgiagrama.  Bill Gates of Apple fame? I think not!

@proudlyfromNJ

So sorry.  I get those two mixed up.  Hopefully, I still made my point while showing my ignorance of who is who.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

Some people care and others don't.  The group "I want it NOW and at the cheapest price w/free shipping" don't care about others.  I think eventually they will get too big for their own good.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting something at the cheapest price, which can include free shipping.  It's competition, whether it's Amazon, Q, or any other online retailer.  I have no desire to pay extra to or any other retailer.  If Q wants more of my business, they'll have to look at prices and shipping costs.  Almost everything can be found elsewhere for less money.

I agree, and was just about to post almost exactly the same thoughts.

I don't understand at all why people who want things quickly at the lowest prices "don't care about others."  

I love Amazon.  I've been a comparision shopper my whole life and I still am, but nearly always Amazon has the best prices.  And by far the best Customer Service.  (Someone posted above that they can't be reached by phone.  Not true!  There are numerous ways to reach them, no long hold times, and the reps are always informed and helpful.)

I couldn't care less who delivers, if it's one guy in a truck or a Mom with kids in her car.  (And I think it's great that she's able to work and not have to pay for childcare.)  Why would I care who delivers?  No one is coming into my home - They're delivering a package.  As long as I can get what I want - easily, at a low price, and from a company with excellent CS, I can't imagine why I would not buy from Amazon.  I shop elsewhere, of course, but I'm a big fan of Amazon.  I have no reason not to be.  There's a reason why they're so successful.

Honored Contributor

Local retalilers have a lot to compete with Amazon in the mix. I try like crazy to shop local first. I'm a firm believer in supporting my own local businesses and keeping the money in my community. But, that being said, when I can't even find a simple, easy product in my local stores, I have resort to Amazon where its in stock, far cheaper AND I can have it in two days time! Yup, local businesses have HUGE shoes to fill nowadays. 

"Pure Michigan"