Super Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE AMAZON

Amazon gets the job done and in the future, there will be a whale that swallows them up too.  Until then and given their superior service to me, I will continue to use them and be very grateful.

Respected Contributor

OP, I live aprox 6 blocks from PetCo.  I can order my dog's dry 35pound dog food from Amazon $15.00 cheaper delivered than driving over and picking it up at the store.  Unless PetCo changes and gives me better pricing to pick it up, I'm sticking with the Amazon seller who has to be making money in this transaction.   PetCo, don't be Sears or you'll end up like them.

Respected Contributor

We live in the DC suburbs with a variety of shopping options available to us. However, we’re ardent Amazon shoppers for a number of reasons. None of the B&M stores provide the variety of merchandise that Amazon provides at reasonable prices. The traffic in our area is crazy on a regular basis, but especially at this time of year. If we go to a mall, we have to be security conscious in parking lots and garages. Amazon’s customer service is excellent. Instead of spending long stretches of time on hold, we opt for the “call back” option and a polite customer service rep usually calls us within 5 minutes. If we have a problem with a purchase, it’s easy to resolve it. Sometimes, we don’t even have to return it - they give us the refund anyway. I could go on, but I need to start dinner. A friend and I shopped at 2 local, old fashioned gift shops last night. They’re beautiful, but they were packed and we were lucky to get a parking spot. We’ll continue to patronize them for special purchases, but it’s so much easier to peruse Amazon’s offerings from the comfort of my home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@TTerri wrote:

OP, you need to find better things to do with your time than preach to adults. I don't know what the point of your post is.

Bewildering indeed. My Great Grandfather immigrated from Russia started his business selling dry goods and the business grew into a very successful clothing company in turn opened several stores throughout NYS and Vermont.

Amazon continues growing. why? supply and demand. Good for Bezos!

@Sweet_Serenity  i’m happy for your great grandfather’s success. How many other businesses did he acquire along the way? Not other stores he opened. But other businesses that were started by other people that he took over. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I always prefer to buy local, but local does not always have what I need.  Amazon has two warehouses in my area and has provided many jobs.  They do subcontract out for those who want a job as a delivery person, but there is also the option of using the Amazon locker at my local grocery.

I live in an unincorporated area that is just starting to get businesses.  Our post office is in the deli and a new strip mall that would have four stores in it has been half empty for two years.  There is no downtown area where I live.  Amazon and other online stores are a real plus for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

Not everyone lives where there are malls and other readily available shopping. My town has a Bealls outlet and a Walmart only. The nearest mall is a very small one and it's 25 miles thru bad traffic to get there, so No Thanks. I'm grateful for online shopping , esp. Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Any company that does not have a sales toll free phone number, accepts checks and/or money orders does not deserve my hard earned $$$$.  I am not an "online" shopper who uses a credit or debit card.

I guess I'm confused.  Doesn't QVC accept checks and/or money orders?  Do you buy from them?

Honored Contributor

New warehouse in the building process now, outside Birmingham, AL

Obviously enough people in the southeast are ordering to make it worth a warehouse.

People here are excited about the potential new jobs.

I have probably used Amazon once a year in the past. My employer gave Amazon gift cards for incentives, the only reason I used Amazon.    I don't buy much of anything, not much of a shopper but I still prefer local.    For whatever reason, delivery in my neighborhood is awful.    I often buy on Walmart website, ship to store.  I'm 3 miles from a Walmart.  The nearest Amazon "locker" is 15 miles away.

I believe in the free market, with reasonable oversight.

As  long as people are buying, Amazon will prevail.

And consider this, if you are a small business, you can sell on Amazon.

So Amazon is giving someone an opportunity not otherwise available.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all the comments. I know Amazon is very useful to many people. I guess I am more concerned about one company owning and controlling so much. And if your company goes out of business or you lose your job due to competition from Amazon, then what? Not everyone can just go down the street to Amazon and get a job there, that will surely be at a much lower wage. Competition is good. But if Amazon controls do much, it makes it impossible to compete.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

i believe Amazon is planning on getting into the health care insurance business.  That should be interesting but I don't want any part of it if it requires signing up for Amazon Prime first.  What does it cost now per year??