Honored Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE AMAZON

@Mz iMac wrote:

Any company that does not have a sales toll free phone number, accepts checks and/or money orders does not deserve my hard earned $$$$.  I am not an "online" shopper who uses a credit or debit card.

FWIW, There is an Amazon warehouse a few counties from me & one about an hour car drive in another state.

I live in a tri-state area & Amazon hires hundreds from all 3 states.  Also they hire people of all ages.  A few of my neighbors, people in their 70's are working there.  Amazon sends a van to pick them up!

Thank you for this @Mz iMac and I don't want to be too intrusive but may I ask approximately not where you live but where this warehouse is?

Super Contributor

OP, you need to find better things to do with your time than preach to adults. I don't know what the point of your post is.

Honored Contributor

There are always pros and cons with a huge company like Amazon. As long as customers buy. And they continue to evolve.....Amazon will continue to do well.....when the "ride" is over, they will ride off into  the sunset like Sears, JCPenney  and KMart, and all the other companies who were game changers  and revamped  the shopping experience in the beginning until they were no longer relevant. 

Honored Contributor

I think you are being somwhat naive.  Yes, Amazon has become something we could not have imagined a few years ago but while the are extending their reach; they employ people all along the line.  The wharehouses, the trucks, the grocery stores all have employees.  I'm a consumer and my job is to do what is best for MY financial situation and to buy the products that work best for me and MY family.  Amazon and other big online retailers do that in a way that local stores cannot.  I am not going to buy local just for the sake of buying local.  I actually hope that Amazon (and Walmart and Target) continue to grow and continue to offer a wider range of goods and services at reasonable prices.  Yes, Amazon contracts out some of it's delivery?  You have problem with people making a living?  That woman could very well be driving for Amazon so that she can make a Christmas for her own family.  You would deny her that just because doesn't wear a brown uniform and isn't driving a truck with a logo?  You do know that at this time of year UPS and Usps also hire temps and they don't wear uniforms or spiffy caps with logos.  They are people who are making money.  I think you are having a problem the changes in life.  They have indeed happened very quickly and I suppose it is hard for some people to adjust.  It must feel like suddenly we've gone from town squares to mega malls to online shopping.  Actually, I do believe that not to long ago, people were same the same things you are saying about malls.  Don't go to the malls!  Shop local.  Don't shop at Walmart!  Shop small stores.  Progress is not a bad thing and it is going to happen whether you like it or not.  I got an Amazon delivery about an hour ago.  My friends and are not going to bake cookies together this year; instead, I suggested that we get together and make Gingerbread Houses.  We have all been watching the show on tv and it seems like a fun thing to do.  I wanted the kits where everything is included, I work so I did not have time to run around trying to find them.  So Wed, I ordered them from Amazon and I received them today.  Now it's just a matter of making a nice luncheon and inviting the ladies over.  That's beauty of Amazon.  

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips

Your post assumes that all of us live in areas where we can walk / drive a few miles / blocks and purchase items from a local store.  That is not the case for me, and I assume others.

I live 12  miles one way from a loaf of bread, and 25 to 35 miles one way from a large BM store.  I won’t drive 60 some miles to purchase a new charging cord for my phone.  Think of the environmental impact, and my time.  Additionally, some of the items I purchase are simply not available in my area.  Unless some local vendor sets up within 5 miles of me, and I sincerely hope they do not, I will happily purchase from Amazon.

As for the local deliveries, I must assume that those people needed / wanted the work  That seems in keeping with your concerns of hiring locally.

They ARE local.

Beyond that I don’t ‘get’ your point.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

Robbinsville-NJ

Florence-NJ

New Castle-DE

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

WAYS TO CONTACT AMAZON PLUS TOLL FREE NUMBER

1. Call Amazon anytime, 24/7, at 1(888) 280-4331. ...
  2. Log into Amazon and scroll to "Help" at the bottom of any Amazon.com screen. ...
  3. Click on "Need More Help?" ...
  4. Choose the order or orders that you need to contact Amazon about. ...
  5. Decide how you want Amazon to contact you.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@TTerri wrote:

OP, you need to find better things to do with your time than preach to adults. I don't know what the point of your post is.

Bewildering indeed. My Great Grandfather immigrated from Russia started his business selling dry goods and the business grew into a very successful clothing company in turn opened several stores throughout NYS and Vermont.

Amazon continues growing. why? supply and demand. Good for Bezos!

Esteemed Contributor

@TTerri wrote:

@TTerri Wow. Unnecessarily rude response. Why not just skip over it if you have nothing to add. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips I like Amazon well enough I suppose. At the same time, I’m reminded of that story about a lobster who thinks the water feels great… Until it’s too late. I think they’re getting way too big, into too many things. I think someday… Maybe not in our lifetime… They may be the only game in town and there will be no choice.

Keepin' it real.