Esteemed Contributor

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE AMAZON

For those of you who love and support Amazon, please think about this.  Not only have they taken over the world of retail and caused the closure of and struggle for so many long standing stores, they have gotten into many other businesses.  They are now into grocery stores, banking, insurance, transporation, and I just heard they are building an airport.   I am sure there are other areas of which I am not aware.  When (not if) Amazon affects the income/business (or job loss) for you, your spouse, your children, or your grandchildren, you may look at this mammouth company differently, and not be so pleased anymore.

Yes I have occassionaly ordered from Amazon.  But I buy local and from other online sources whenever I can.  I do not want to see a future where everything is owned by and comes from Amazon.  What do you think will happen to prices then?

I recenly had an Amazon delivery at my home.  It was a woman, in an unmarked SUV, who pulled up my driveway, with a car full of kids and packages, and she got out to deliver ours.  The same thing happened at our office, but this guy had no kids in the car.  Who are these people?  I don't have any reason to not trust them, but it made me a bit uneasy just the same.

I am just asking those of you who care to think about this and give me some feedback.  Am I worried for nothing?  I don't think so.  What do you think?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE AMAZON

@Puppy Lips wrote:

For those of you who love and support Amazon, please think about this.  Not only have they taken over the world of retail and caused the closure of and struggle for so many long standing stores, they have gotten into many other businesses.  They are now into grocery stores, banking, insurance, transporation, and I just heard they are building an airport.   I am sure there are other areas of which I am not aware.  When (not if) Amazon affects the income/business (or job loss) for you, your spouse, your children, or your grandchildren, you may look at this mammouth company differently, and not be so pleased anymore.

Yes I have occassionaly ordered from Amazon.  But I buy local and from other online sources whenever I can.  I do not want to see a future where everything is owned by and comes from Amazon.  What do you think will happen to prices then?

I recenly had an Amazon delivery at my home.  It was a woman, in an unmarked SUV, who pulled up my driveway, with a car full of kids and packages, and she got out to deliver ours.  The same thing happened at our office, but this guy had no kids in the car.  Who are these people?  I don't have any reason to not trust them, but it made me a bit uneasy just the same.

I am just asking those of you who care to think about this and give me some feedback.  Am I worried for nothing?  I don't think so.  What do you think?

I hear your concerns, and they are worth thinking about. However, for me Prime has been a godsend . I live in a small town where Walmart is the main retailer. The ability to have items Big and small delivered quickly, has saved me time and money, not to mention the frustration of driving around, often to find the part I'm looking for is out of stock. Amazon has everything. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Some people care and others don't.  The group "I want it NOW and at the cheapest price w/free shipping" don't care about others.  I think eventually they will get too big for their own good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People will choose when and where they want to spend their money and it doesn't bother me that Amazon is branching out, they will create jobs in everything they touch. As long as they are paying a living wage and giving health care benefits to their employees it should be a good thing. The only reason these small local businesses could be in business for so many years is that they were family owned and operated and they had a captive audience.As far as places like Sears, Wards, etc. they have just out lived their usefulness, again they too had a captive audience. There will always be a place for the niche businesses, you just have to find your niche. I think it's great that the woman who was making deliveries for Amazon could bring her kids instead of having to pay a babysitter.

Honored Contributor

Any company that does not have a sales toll free phone number, accepts checks and/or money orders does not deserve my hard earned $$$$.  I am not an "online" shopper who uses a credit or debit card.

FWIW, There is an Amazon warehouse a few counties from me & one about an hour car drive in another state.

I live in a tri-state area & Amazon hires hundreds from all 3 states.  Also they hire people of all ages.  A few of my neighbors, people in their 70's are working there.  Amazon sends a van to pick them up!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Well the rub there is that you put that woman who is running deliveries for Amazon with her kids and that man out of their jobs when you don't support Amazon or anyone else who does that. 

I'm sure they have better things to do with their time but need the money and so help deliver your packages in their spare time for extra cash.

It's the same old argument with the buy American group.  You put a whole bunch of Americans out of work within the import/export industry when you do that too. 

Or the cab drivers with Uber and Lyft.  It floors me that people today have no problem getting into a car with any stranger with a 4 door sedan but turn their nose up at a cabbie who's been thoroughly background checked with proven insurance and validated licenses too. 

Respected Contributor

This has been going on for years. Small community allows Wal-Mart in and the small grocery store, pharmacy etc close.  You can't possible blame Amazon for all the problems brick & morter stores go through.  No one is forced to online shop they choose to. I love my local businesses, but sometimes they can't compete.

Honored Contributor

Depending on where you live, those folks that are pulling up in your driveway may have had better jobs in a different economy but now have to have more than one job to make ends meet.  I used to be part of that 2-day delivery Amazon tier but now I am not and that's ok as I would rather folks spend time with their families then make sure I got my toilet paper on time.

I worked in the warehouse world, Amazon is no prize.

Honored Contributor

I love the net. The world is at my fingertips. I think it is a good thing..

Honored Contributor

I love/loved Amazon and have ordered many items from them.  As long as the price is right, quality good and delivered in a timely manner, it's OK with me.

I am concerned that now they are using "regional" carriers to deliver packages including the USPS.  I had to speak to a customer service person at Amazon yesterday--very professional and polite, BTW--and suggested that Amazon reconsider using the USPS.  I am still waiting for an item that was supposed to be delivered Monday.

As for Uber and Lyft, I have never used them and don't expect to.  I live in a major city with plenty of licensed cabs.  I share a previous poster concern about Uber and Lyft drivers--who are these people, who vetts them?