Esteemed Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Lovely dress.  This is a differnt look for her.  I wonder if she is pandering to the Chinese in selecting a Vera Wang. 

Pandering? I take it that you haven't read anything regarding the State Dinner with the President of China and his wife-where Chinese Americans were featured prominently?

Vera Wang is a Chinese American.

Duh, don't you think I knew that? 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Re: FLOTUS in Vera Wang

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Princess Maxima, Luxumbourg:

The Wedding Of Prince Guillaume Of Luxembourg & Stephanie de Lannoy - Gala Dinner

Ooh!  How lovely is she??   The dress is lovely and - rubies!  I love love love rubies.  Smiley Happy

Shoekitty said

I can't resist this ,Princess  Maxima, of BUXOMborg, lol!  my bad.  Lucky gal

she is gorgeous!!!  Oh, the time it must take to get ready for one of "their' events.  It isn't just hair and nails, but skin, make up, handbag, shoes, dress selection. Fittings.  Then going over guest list, what the guest will look like and act like.  Conversation do's and don't's.  It is a huge deal.  If the party is hosted at your place, there is flowers, menu, and most of all protocol with topics of conversation.  Also, many times they are given research to learn about their guests. 

When I see all these women dressed to the nines, and with dignitaries, I think how great they look  and how much work goes into the event.  God help you if someone catches a bad angle in photos, often that is all the public will see.  Deep sigh here, well I sure don't have to worry about any of that.  I am thinking I need to remember garbage bags and water at store today.!!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Mamie Eisenhower ???? Audrey Hepburn??????? Geez do you all think that perhaps styles of dressing have changed in 50 - 60 years????? IMO the first lady's dress was perfectly modest for what is stylish in 2015. I think there are a lot of posters here who are jealous they don't have the figure to pull off a dress like this.

I think you may have missed my point by putting up the photo of Mamie.

Yes, it was in the 50s, THAT was my point.

EVEN THEN women of status showed their cleavage.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Elegant, glamorous.  She looks amazing.

Respected Contributor

Re: FLOTUS in Vera Wang

[ Edited ]

Jamie Eisenhower:  She was legendary for her insistence on keeping those bangs.  

Slightly off-topic, Joanne Woodward took some heat for appearing at the Academy Awards presentation - 1958 I think- wearing a dress she designed & made herself, using $100 worth of fabric.  Guess she got the last laugh.  Not only did she take home the Best Actress Oscar for her role in The Three Faces of Eve, she went home with Paul Newman  :-)

Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Jamie Eisenhower:  She was legendary for her insistence on keeping those bangs.  

Slightly off-topic, Joanne Woodward took some heat for appearing at the Academy Awards presentation - 1958 I think- wearing a dress she designed & made herself, using $100 worth of fabric.  Guess she got the last laugh.  Not only did she take home the Best Actress Oscar for her role in The Three Faces of Eve, she went home with Paul Newman  :-)

Fun fact!  Thanks Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Of course I meant Mamie.  I always forget this Kindle does that autospelling or whatever it's called.  Technology - sigh

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Mamie Eisenhower ???? Audrey Hepburn??????? Geez do you all think that perhaps styles of dressing have changed in 50 - 60 years????? IMO the first lady's dress was perfectly modest for what is stylish in 2015. I think there are a lot of posters here who are jealous they don't have the figure to pull off a dress like this.

Some posters don't think the dress was APPROPRIATE for the occasion. It has NOTHING to do with "jealousy". It's their OPINION, which is just as VALID as anyone else's on here.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder "WHO" paid for this affatr?

Trusted Contributor

Completely inappropiate. The First Lady of China is suitably dressed for the evening.