Super Contributor

Re: Floods in West Virginia :(

Images on the news are heartbreaking. Prayers for the people of West Virginia. Can't even imagine what it's like to be in huge floods like this. Smiley Sad 

Super Contributor

Re: Floods in West Virginia :(

@Preds wrote:

I have family in both states and it appears all are okay. My heart breaks for everyone involved.  We've lost everything to a flood before so I know what these folks will be facing.  I send everyone my prayers and blessings.

((((@Preds)))) How awful. I'm sorry your family had such a terrible experience.

Honored Contributor

Re: FLOODS in West Virginia :(

Please continue praying for all affected by the flooding.   Heavy rain is in the forecast for Greenbrier and Summers Co again today, and a flash flood warning is in effect for those areas until 1:00 a.m. tomorrow.   

Trusted Contributor

My heart aches for all those people affected by the flood.  Prayers go out to all.

Jessa
Occasional Contributor

Prayers for the people in West Virginia.

Occasional Contributor

Why the W.Va. floods were so deadly and destructive

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/06/27/west-virginia-floods-storm-train/86429020/

Honored Contributor

As clean up efforts continue here in West Virginia, stories and experiences are also coming forth.   Teams are still searching for 3 bodies; one of which is a young girl.  I thought I caught the tail end of a report that said more than half of our 55 counties were in some way affected by the heavy rains and flooding.   FEMA and The Red Cross have been here for several days, helping people apply for benefits.  A mobile VA unit is on sight to help veterans with lost medications, and anything else they might need.  Emergency supplies are pouring in steadily, giving people what they need to get started on the cleanup, if they still have a home to clean up.  

By Tuesday of this week, coordinators were saying no to more clothing donations, and yes to more bottled water, bleach, brooms, mops, detergent, personal hygiene items, diapers, etc.   Water service has been restored to some areas, but is not safe to drink.   Power is slowly being restored.   Major fundraising efforts are taking place all around the state to assist our stricken neighbors.   Jim Justice is housing and feeding 300 displaced residents at the prestigious Greenbrier Resort.   People passing thru the state who are staying at hotels that just happen to be housing flood victims, are paying for lodging for those displaced residents.   The Rebuild West Virginia benefit by a local TV station, was doing extremely well, with hopes of taking in more than $200,000 to assist the needy.   All money donated is to stay here in West Virginia to help flood victims rebuild their lives.   

The Summersville Dam, built in 1966, was very instrumental in last weeks heavy rains, and averted flooding in our Capitol city of Charleston.   Without the dam in place, the whole city would have suffered severe and devastating flooding as well.   Flood gates were shown releasing thousands of gallons of runoff water to bring Summersville Lake back to normal levels.   

130 homes in one Greenbrier Co town were destroyed.   I cannot imagine standing on a bare lot and wondering what happened to my home, and a houseful of stuff!   The majority of the homeowners do not have flood insurance, because they were not living in a flood plain.   As long as I had my husband, children, and all my family, I sincerely hope I could walk away with the clothes on my back and start over---which is what many other West Virginians will be doing in the days ahead.   

Continued prayers for our state and its people.