Respected Contributor

Re: FLOODING IN HOUSTON MONDAY 4/18/16

@Cakers3 wrote:

Rain is expected through Thursday.  It's that time of year but Houston really took a major hit with this system.

The hail storm last week, although rare in its intensity, caused major damage in my area - we were spared but DS's house had 3 broken windows.  Folks who had cars in driveways were worse off.  His street is filled with boarded up windows, cars covered with tarps because of broken glass, and even vents on roofs are cover over.  What a mess.

@Cakers3

I'm in the area that was hit with hail the size of baseballs last Tuesday night which broke all the windows on one side of our house, damaged our roof and severely damaged both our vehicles. Since there are so many people who were affected, there are no rental cars available so DH and I had to take time off work as we have no transportation. The insurance companies are swamped with claims so it'll be a while before they get to us. It's a terrible hassle but I'm grateful we weren't hurt. Things can be replaced but people can't. DH was just about to leave for work when it hit. Had he left just seconds earlier, he might have been badly hurt.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Rain is expected through Thursday.  It's that time of year but Houston really took a major hit with this system.

The hail storm last week, although rare in its intensity, caused major damage in my area - we were spared but DS's house had 3 broken windows.  Folks who had cars in driveways were worse off.  His street is filled with boarded up windows, cars covered with tarps because of broken glass, and even vents on roofs are cover over.  What a mess.

@Cakers3

I'm in the area that was hit with hail the size of baseballs last Tuesday night which broke all the windows on one side of our house, damaged our roof and severely damaged both our vehicles. Since there are so many people who were affected, there are no rental cars available so DH and I had to take time off work as we have no transportation. The insurance companies are swamped with claims so it'll be a while before they get to us. It's a terrible hassle but I'm grateful we weren't hurt. Things can be replaced but people can't. DH was just about to leave for work when it hit. Had he left just seconds earlier, he might have been badly hurt.

@Texasmouse I'm so sorry. How scary. Glad your DH wasn't hurt.

Respected Contributor

@MJ12

Thank you

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

image.jpeg

This is a picture of what he chose to ignore & drive through.

How stupid can this guy be?

-) bridge underpass says 15'....check

-) flood lights flashing...check

-) no visible cars driving anywhere...check

-) had to pass a News Truck w/ antennas...check

-) had to pass News Reporters standing in the middle of the road...check

Then to top all this off, he was saying "what should I do?", "stay in the car?"...I'm convinced he was drunk or DUI. 

@sidsmom  I don't know if he was drunk but he certainly did not pay attention.  .  Between signs, lights, and even gate barriers (which people have been known to move to get by on an already flooded road) there is plenty of warning - even if it isn't raining there are signs that indicate FLOOD ZONE with upright markers indicating how much water there is when it does rain.

It doesn't take much - to say he didn't know how deep the water was is just foolish.  Six inches of water can stall your car and/or make steering impossible as the water continues to rise.   One foot of water and your car becomes an ark.

I'm glad he is ok but had this been a rescue in my area?  Major fine for the driver.  Move a barrier?  You can spend up to 6 months in jail. 

Look - warnings are there for a reason.  This man isn't a newbie on the road - surely he knows what and what not to do when rain comes down that hard and in that amount - even a minor rainfall can cause flash flooding.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Cakers3

@Texasmouse  I'm so glad your DH is ok.  DS and family were in the TV room but fortunately not next to the windows.  GS ran into the bathroom with GD when it started.  They have windows all around. 

The insurance company will make it today to their house.  Some insurance companies are advising people to just get a new car since the damage is more than the value of the car.  Their cars were in the garage as always but the cars in the driveways were damaged so badly I imagine they might be getting estimates beyond the values.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

Wow....had no idea the fines were that stiff.

Good.

Unfortunately Texas is in a weekly cycle.

We'll have rain until the weekend...then back again to rain.

Take care!

Honored Contributor

I put in over 30 years in Houston and feel for those affecting by the flooding.  I can just picture some of my favorite intersections.  How sweet it is to be gone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I put in over 30 years in Houston and feel for those affecting by the flooding.  I can just picture some of my favorite intersections.  How sweet it is to be gone.

I visited there. I really enjoyed the city.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I visited there. I really enjoyed the city.

It's an okay place to visit (not a lot to see or do) but it's an awful place to live.  It's ugly, has a horrible climate not fit for human habitation and has every kind of creepy, crawly critter imaginable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

image.jpeg

My my heart goes out to those experiencing such terrible damage.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~