Respected Contributor

Re: e's the thingRe: FL residents heads up Mandatory Mask Requirements coming your way😷

@KKJ wrote:

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Here's the thing:

Currently in MD, we are wearing masks outside, inside....no issues. You just do it because it's the thing to do. Businesses are open and you wear a mask. People are working, money is being made and it's all happening while you wear a mask. What IS the problem?

The problem is that there are many who are selfish. The problem is that there are MANY who don't care about anyone else. The problem is that many think it's a hoax and political issues abound. And so, the numbers are skyrocketing where many gathered and gave the finger to the mask. Surprise (not).

Wearing a mask is a PITA, I agree. It's a simple thing to do that helps so many, however. I'm a big believer in standing up for what's right, your personal rights and to question authority but geez louise, LOOK AROUND THE WORLD. Wear the freaking mask AND stay away from people you don't know (and those at risk) AND wash your hands. We can go about our business if everyone does this. Why the heck is this such a hard concept for our society? BTW, it's the same issue in England. Hmm....

When people start calling names and judging others, the argument is lost.  You truly do not want to hear another point of view, you do not want to understand what others are thinking.  You have decided that you are right, they are wrong and everyone must do what you say.  And people wonder why this world is so messed up.

I didn't see any name calling, only common sense and a wish for people to do the right thing. How can you object to doing the right thing? What is the alternative - being in favor of doing the wrong thing?

Again, we aren't against doing the right thing. Yes, people should wear masks, yes, we should social distance. But why does this have to be posted day after day thread after thread post after post?  We get it. 

Because people enjoy complaining and demonizing people. 

Honored Contributor

Re: FL residents heads up Mandatory Mask Requirements coming your way😷

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
I wonder if the Florida Walmart man has heard the news?😂

Google “Florida Walmart man” if you haven’t seen the video. Older man flipped out on the poor Walmart employee who tried to stop him from entering without a mask.

@bikerbabe 

I never heard of "florida man"...

As I was walking into WM they were hanging this sign:

DBC71D11-447A-4346-A02F-6CFF68A3B0F9.jpeg

So I said to the worker "boy that didn't take long to print!". He said kiddingly "get ready for the "police" throughout the store".  I said, "Really police in store" he said "No the customers who decide they need to police people .."

Yup, he was right🙄😡. Now all the "busy bodies" are on patrol!!!

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

We need a federal order to mask up!  It's great that states are reopening and our economy is starting to rebound, but it will not work unless everyone takes it seriously and stops minimizing the impact of the virus.  Wear a mask, practice social distancing when possible and wash hands frequently.  It's not that hard!

How would that be enforced? Put people in jail? These mask posts are so tiring and it always brings in the same people to bash and talk about the big p. 

In my state, tickets are issued for not wearing a seat belt.  The same could be done to enforce wearing a mask.  Businesses here will not let you enter unless you have a mask on.

@Linmo,  enforcement by police issued tickets is not practical.  LE is seldom looking specifically for seat belt violations or even cell phone/texting violations.  Tickets for those offenses are generally in addition to an underlying violation like speeding.

However, if the onus to enforce wearing a mask is put on businesses it could be effective.  Complaints about people being allowed in without wearing a mask would result in suspension of business licenses for a set period of time--warning for first offense, 30 day suspension for a second offense, 60 days for a third offense, etc.

The only thing that will work is FINES. Start with $100 for a first offense, $500 second, $1,000 third, etc.  Revoking the $600 weekly bonus payment if the person is collecting unemployment insurance would probably get their attention as well.

On a business level, suspend the license for 10 days for a first offense. Second offense, $1000 fine and license suspended for 45 days. Third offense, license suspended for 90 days, the premises locked, and the firm is fined $5K.

I think states and municipalities would be open to this because their budgets have been tanked by the shutdown. When people realize that the alternative to fines is a major hike in 2021 business and property taxes to make up the shortfall, they'll get on board.

This isn't a babysitting operation. It's dealing with individuals who are refusing  to use the only tools we have to deal with a pandemic. In practice, that makes them enemies of the common good, and they should be treated appropriately. You'll get their attention with fines. Issuing paper will only result in bonfires of masks and summonses and endless CNN video of same.

I also wish people would stop using parental negatives like "stupid" and "inconsiderate." It's doing nothing to win hearts and minds, and "inconsiderate" is an inadequate label for behavior that could endanger another's life. Call refusal to wear masks and/or abide by social distancing what it is: It's pro-pandemic. Don't like the label? Easy fix: wear a mask and stay 6+' away.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann 

I agree.

Money talks, you know what walks.

Honored Contributor

Re: e's the thingRe: FL residents heads up Mandatory Mask Requirements coming your way😷

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Here's the thing:

Currently in MD, we are wearing masks outside, inside....no issues. You just do it because it's the thing to do. Businesses are open and you wear a mask. People are working, money is being made and it's all happening while you wear a mask. What IS the problem?

The problem is that there are many who are selfish. The problem is that there are MANY who don't care about anyone else. The problem is that many think it's a hoax and political issues abound. And so, the numbers are skyrocketing where many gathered and gave the finger to the mask. Surprise (not).

Wearing a mask is a PITA, I agree. It's a simple thing to do that helps so many, however. I'm a big believer in standing up for what's right, your personal rights and to question authority but geez louise, LOOK AROUND THE WORLD. Wear the freaking mask AND stay away from people you don't know (and those at risk) AND wash your hands. We can go about our business if everyone does this. Why the heck is this such a hard concept for our society? BTW, it's the same issue in England. Hmm....

When people start calling names and judging others, the argument is lost.  You truly do not want to hear another point of view, you do not want to understand what others are thinking.  You have decided that you are right, they are wrong and everyone must do what you say.  And people wonder why this world is so messed up.

I didn't see any name calling, only common sense and a wish for people to do the right thing. How can you object to doing the right thing? What is the alternative - being in favor of doing the wrong thing?

Again, we aren't against doing the right thing. Yes, people should wear masks, yes, we should social distance. But why does this have to be posted day after day thread after thread post after post?  We get it. 

@KKJ  Apparently, it's pretty entertaining to continue preaching, largely to the choir, and one might assume frequent snide comments are just gravy... I just hope there's no assumption being made that coming onto these particular boards daily (at least) and keying in the same verbiage is reaching the audience they need to reach, because I'm pretty sure it isn't. There's already yet another Florida combination data dump/mask thread out there, so probably many of the posters here have flocked over to that one... It must get tiring for them too... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@CrazyDaisy    Yeah, people who won't wear masks are. I haven't hear or read one valid reason for not doing so. Not here, not anywhere. Especially since business IS carrying on as usual with the precautions in place (at least where I live). I'll spare you why we in the medical community find them necessary because that obviously means nothing as well.  So....what's the problem with wearing them? Please, enlighten me/us.

Attitdude is everything when having an actual discussion.  Your condecending words and tone indicate you are not open for that discussion.  To try and answer your questions would be a waste of time. We will just have to agree that we disagree on this matter.

@CrazyDaisy 

Your response here is absolutely hilarious.

Truly.

@QueenDanceALot  You beat me to this response! 

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Here's the thing:

@KKJ  It must be entertaining to continue preaching, largely to the choir. I just hope they don't think coming onto these particular boards daily (at least) and keying in the same verbiage is reaching the audience they need to reach, because I'm pretty sure it isn't. There's already yet another Florida data dump/mask thread out there, so probably many of the posters here have flocked over to that one... It must get tiring for them too... 

Yeah, I liked your statement about the "data dump" . That's another thing---the constant long postings of all the Covid stats & numbers for every state, etc. Like all that should be reposted on a shopping channel MB?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Here's the thing:

@KKJ  It must be entertaining to continue preaching, largely to the choir. I just hope they don't think coming onto these particular boards daily (at least) and keying in the same verbiage is reaching the audience they need to reach, because I'm pretty sure it isn't. There's already yet another Florida data dump/mask thread out there, so probably many of the posters here have flocked over to that one... It must get tiring for them too... 

Yeah, I liked your statement about the "data dump" . That's another thing---the constant long postings of all the Covid stats & numbers for every state, etc. Like all that should be reposted on a shopping channel MB?

@KKJ  Oh, but I was once lambasted for misusing the term 'data dump'... I'm quite aware of what the term means, but queen's English or not, it fits...It seems some would have these boards become nothing more than a repository of all things virus... Most of us realize we can go to any number of local, state, national or international websites if we want that kind of information... No one I know is sticking their head in the sand (another common meme...) but some of us come here to get away from the day to day angst, or at least we used to...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1   I'm so sorry about what happened to you and your husband with his dr appt.  But that was great news you posted about the mandatory mask wearing for those counties in Fl.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

I'm also sorry about your DH's dr.'s appt.  And I also appreciate news about my state because news moves soooo fast anymore, I don't want to miss anything.  We watch the news so much, I sometimes have to wean myself away for a few hours for my mental health, as I have a brother in long-term care, and my BIL was just moved to a rehab from a hospital after removal of a brain tumor. 

Could tell you stories that would curl your hair.

Anyway, to me, it's very simple:  if I find a topic...oh, tiring...I quickly skip over it without engaging or berating.  Unless one wants to "voice their opinion" and argue, fight, whatever. 

Denise