Honored Contributor

Re: FL residents heads up Mandatory Mask Requirements coming your way😷

[ Edited ]

@lianne wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

If we've come to the nadir of waiting for politicians to tell us what to do to survive, we're in deep doo-doo.  Use the brains you were born with.

Sadly, the FL governor ignored the science and went with what the ignorant folks pushing him to open the state while the numbers were still going up. Tx governor did the same and signalled it wasn't a serious virus.

Both states are doubling cases every day right on time after Memorial day celebrations and bars open with no social distancing.

The highest numbers of infections are now 35-50 year olds, not seniors.

@lianne 

Our Texas Governor, made a personal trip to our city to discuss it all.....after a local Judge questioned his guidelines....  The Gov said since recoveries were high, and hospital vacancies were good, he made it the responsibility of citizens to take it seriously and to practice distancing and if not possible then a mask was recommended...the Governor just didnt want people put in jail or fined for not wearing a mask....  (even our grocery store executives made masks optional ) so dont put the blame on the Governor, the Gov thought people would act like adults instead of like nothing happened.)...... ....Now masks are mandatory.  If numbers increase more action is going to be taken.....

More millennials are now contracting COVID-19 in Bexar County

As the number of COVID-19 cases go up in Bexar County, so are the number of cases hitting millennials.

“I actually wasn’t surprised,” San Antonio resident Michael Carranza said.

It’s a sentiment most people we spoke to echoed, as more people in their 20’s and 30’s contract the virus.

“Our younger populations need to be concerned,” said Eric Epley, with South Texas Regional Advisory Council. “They are going into the hospital now.”

In fact, right now, those in their 20’s and 30’s make up about 46 percent of all COVID-19 cases in the county and nearly 35 percent of cases throughout Texas.

“I think young people are perhaps, more likely to take risks with their health in many kids of ways,” Dr, Junda Woo said, medical director for San Antonio Metropolitan Health District.

The city said one of their biggest concerns is how young people are contracting the virus, especially as the state of Texas continues to open back up.

“I am less worried about outdoor events, than I am about indoor events,” San Antonio Assistant City Manager, Colleen Bridger said. “Bars worry me, greatly.”

During Friday night’s COVID-19 update, Mayor Ron Nirenberg said they’re learning more about where young people are contracting the virus.

“They’re starting to see people come in from bars, gyms and car dealerships,” he said.

One of the major concerns health experts said millennials should consider, is the cost.

“A hospital stay is usually around more than $1,000 a day,” Dr. Woo said.

Millennials we spoke with said those are bills they can’t afford.

“I’m very lucky to have health insurance, but even then, it wouldn’t even remotely cover what I think the costs are,” San Antonio resident MaKenna Timoteo said.

“When we think about the financial costs of maybe contracting the virus and being hospitalized, I think that can definitely make you more cautious,” Carranza said.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@software wrote:

And all those people forced to wear a mask probably haven't washed their hands, with soap, for at least 20 seconds,  in forever.  Handwashing is way more important than wearing a mask.

Yes hand washing is extremely important, social distancing, and masks.  3 simple things that can make a big difference

@sunshine 919 @software 

Yes, the big 3.  I don't know that one of these has been determined to be more important than another.

Saw something on the news this morning (in passing, as I was busy) in Florida (maybe it was Arizona) with people yelling at whoever it was telling them it was a requirement now to wear masks.  People were yelling that it violated their Constitutional Rights.

I say good luck to that....

I have seen studies referrenced that social is far more effective.  Most places are only requiring masks when social distancing is not possible.  And well washing hands should be a no brainer  any time.

@CrazyDaisy   We don’t need a study. Extreme social distancing is best; avoiding people is best. Keeping 6 feet away isn’t as good as 12 or 15 feet away - 6feet is just a random number, not actually far enough away in all instances. If you are in sight of other people you need to be using multiple methods of protection. There isn’t one that is best.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have friends in FL who say they have yet to put on a mask, and go everywhere in public. 

@Shelbelle  I think that is most of the people in Florida.  I know a few people who say they wear them to the grocery store but I rarely see people wearing masks even going into stores when I am in my car waiting for a grocery pickup. 

But this is Florida, land of “it is fading away...!”

I wonder how long it will be before US travel to Europe is banned. They don’t want us there and I don’t blame them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

9BCC3AD6-5E6C-4D84-9BCA-8A04DA17F231.jpegThe local mayors of Dade and Broward issued masks REQUIRED orders too. Thank goodness some people in charge are concerned about the rising cases. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I would like to see 24/7 livestreaming of covid ICUs in hotspot hospitals.  Maybe seeing what could happen, what a severe infection is like would cause more awareness when out and about.

If that were the case people would not drink  and drive or do drugs that people die from everyday. Those who do not follow rules don't care about laws or mandates or their own lives. Rather than constantly complain about people not following rules all we can do is follow them ourselves. 

How many people actually see, in real time, the carnage resulting from a drunk driver causing an accident or an addict coding in the street? 

Seeing sanitized photos or video of such events compared to real time live streams of patients inextremis is comparing apples and oranges.

Some poeple cannot be taught to behave. It does not matter how much it is pounded in their heads. People get arrested over and over and serve time over and over for the same things. Some people just never learn. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Sadly, there are still a large number of mayers with their heads stuck...but I think it is cement, not sand. They are never going to see the light.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. Required here is South Florida but.......not everyone obeys. Drove through outdoor shopping mall. Noticed groups of women in masks but not the men with them. Too macho????  
And, temperatures soaring along with number of cases.

Disney opening in Orlando.Republican convention in Jacksonville. Debate scheduled for October in Miami. 

We were warned.

@Xivambala I live in Broward County.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have friends in FL who say they have yet to put on a mask, and go everywhere in public. 

@Shelbelle  I think that is most of the people in Florida.  I know a few people who say they wear them to the grocery store but I rarely see people wearing masks even going into stores when I am in my car waiting for a grocery pickup. 

I wonder how long it will be before US travel to Europe is banned. They don’t want us there and I don’t blame them. 

@Shelbelle I don't  know where in Florida you are, but in my area, everyone out has on a mask. Stores have been refusing to serve customers without them. I'm in S.Florida. My friends in Dade, Broward, St. Lucie and Palm Beach counties are all wearing masks and have been doing so. Businesses have been vigilant too.  Right after reopening, clubs in Palm Beach County were full of people packed together and not wearing masks though. People actually on the beaches were not in masks though. 

Valued Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1  Yes, the old tired  "wear mask and practice social distancing.."  lecture never ends.

And while there's a defund police movement they want people to be policed 🤨Oy vey! 
I'm staying home because it's easier than trying to control everyone else. 

Slightly off topic but you mentioned it first.  While the slogan is silly and misleading there are no real calls to defund the police.  People are calling for reform and change in some of the duties of police departments.  It is a complicated issue that some have tried to simplify it with a catchy phrase.  But if you listen to people who are responsible for policy defunding the police has never been a consideration.  

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@willdob3 

And can you just hear the whining and carrying on about how not being able to go where they want is violating their rights?

It's coming.