Honored Contributor

Re: e's the thingRe: FL residents heads up Mandatory Mask Requirements coming your way😷

[ Edited ]

@denisemb 

Thank you re: doctors appointment.  I'm sorry to hear about your relatives I know this is a very bad time for those who have loved ones in these facilities.  🙏🏻

On the news -- I don't watch regularly any the reason I knew about the mask update was I happen to see the beginning of our local 11 news & our General Manager of our community is on daily with the County Commission updates.

Spouse on the other hand watches news all day long...I ask him to change channel if I happen to be in kitchen area (attached to den area) because I can't stand the constant reporting of doom & gloom -- or the same media outlets just reporting the same stuff ...ugh

Honored Contributor

Re: FL residents heads up Mandatory Mask Requirements coming your way😷

The problem with masks is that when people are trying to work, especially those that have physical jobs, they are so confining and cause such overheating. 

I see people working in places like a store, stocking, running register etc. and they are so hot, they are taking it down to catch their breath, dropping it below the nose, or have it around their neck , but aren't pulling it up to cover mouth and nose. Go to someplace where there is no air conditioning and lots of physical work, like where my husband works at a UPS hub, and it's amazing people don't pass out from being overheated.

I get so hot in the store with them, even worse outside in the heat. 

Maybe the next big thing is the invention of a material that is very breathable and cooling, but stops the germs from getting in and out. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

The problem with masks is that when people are trying to work, especially those that have physical jobs, they are so confining and cause such overheating. 

I see people working in places like a store, stocking, running register etc. and they are so hot, they are taking it down to catch their breath, dropping it below the nose, or have it around their neck , but aren't pulling it up to cover mouth and nose. Go to someplace where there is no air conditioning and lots of physical work, like where my husband works at a UPS hub, and it's amazing people don't pass out from being overheated.

Maybe the next big thing is the invention of a material that is very breathable and cooling, but stops the germs from getting in and out. 

Most (not all) people on these boards may wear a mask for a very short period of time.  And frankly are probably not doing anything strenuous.  So they have no idea why others may have a different take on wearing them.  Nor do they want to know a different viewpoint.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Went to doc appointment yesterday here in Tampa. I wore my mask. Doc came into room with no mask and sat 3 feet from me at computer.  On other hand, my pc doc comes out to parking lot to see patient in car. He won't allow anyone near his office. So it goes....lots of inconsistency.  No mandates from governor and no way to enforce county mandates. It's a free for all down here. Not the best time for a family vacation in the sunshine state. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Most (not all) people on these boards may wear a mask for a very short period of time.  And frankly are probably not doing anything strenuous.  So they have no idea why others may have a different take on wearing them.  Nor do they want to know a different viewpoint.

Well, ya know how it is with me. They will get the different opinion whether they want (like) it or not! LOL

I really have a mixed and undecided position on the mask thing. I wear one in indoor public spaces (I don't ever seem to be anywhere outdoors right now that there are a lot of people). I do it because like you said, I'm only going to have to for a short time, as I don't work outside the home, and pretty much go only where I have to right now. 

But I'm not sure I fully believe that they are helping to the extent claimed. My common sense says they must, especially if everyone did it, if for no other reason than each of us keeping our own germs closer to ourselves. But it won't surprise me if they find (or should I say actually release) the truth, sometime down the road, when the the full story can come out and not be impeded by politics, money etc. that this indeed spread as much or more from other ways, or that things we are using for masks are not effective enough. 

Only time is going to tell and I hesitate to bash either side of the mask debate, as I don't think we will know the full reality of this virus for quite some time. Not that we don't have the ability, but I believe it is too politically charged and too many people have money to be made, so we are fed what 'they' want us to believe.

I can't get past the whole beginning of this, and all the doctors on tv telling us 'you don't need a mask, just wash your hands'. We were more than discouraged from obtaining and using masks. I didn't believe them, and firmly believe they only were doing it to protect the supplies of PPE for the health profession. 

Of course that is where masks are/were needed most, I don't doubt or argue that point. But I think they needed to be more honest then about it. They tell us what they want us to hear, when they want us to hear it, for reasons they want, that often have nothing to do with our best interest. 

Is it any wonder you have a backlash of people feeling duped and done with 'them'? 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Good idea on inventing a better mask, especially since the oh so vaunted scientists seem to be so very slow on the uptake as far as coming up with anything highly scientific that might serve as a remedy...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

CrazyDaisyy... Exactly... And despite all their supposed sensitivity to everything and everyone... under the sun... they apparently don't understand that there are some people who can't breathe well underneath a mask... I've seen at least a few of them suggest the solution to that is for those people to stay home.... At the same time, when someone suggests they stay home if they don't want to risk being in public and encountering someone not wearing a mask the hue and cry goes out loud and long... Double standard much...?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Well, ya know how it is with me. They will get the different opinion whether they want (like) it or not! LOL

I really have a mixed and undecided position on the mask thing. I wear one in indoor public spaces (I don't ever seem to be anywhere outdoors right now that there are a lot of people). I do it because like you said, I'm only going to have to for a short time, as I don't work outside the home, and pretty much go only where I have to right now. 

But I'm not sure I fully believe that they are helping to the extent claimed. My common sense says they must, especially if everyone did it, if for no other reason than each of us keeping our own germs closer to ourselves. But it won't surprise me if they find (or should I say actually release) the truth, sometime down the road, when the the full story can come out and not be impeded by politics, money etc. that this indeed spread as much or more from other ways, or that things we are using for masks are not effective enough. 

Only time is going to tell and I hesitate to bash either side of the mask debate, as I don't think we will know the full reality of this virus for quite some time. Not that we don't have the ability, but I believe it is too politically charged and too many people have money to be made, so we are fed what 'they' want us to believe.

I can't get past the whole beginning of this, and all the doctors on tv telling us 'you don't need a mask, just wash your hands'. We were more than discouraged from obtaining and using masks. I didn't believe them, and firmly believe they only were doing it to protect the supplies of PPE for the health profession. 

Of course that is where masks are/were needed most, I don't doubt or argue that point. But I think they needed to be more honest then about it. They tell us what they want us to hear, when they want us to hear it, for reasons they want, that often have nothing to do with our best interest. 

Is it any wonder you have a backlash of people feeling duped and done with 'them'? 

Indoors while in close quarters they make sense.  Outdoors I think they are not necessary.  That said, I play by the house rules.  Was at an outdoor dog agility trial last weekend which required masks even while running your dog on the course.  While in other parts of the area they were not required.  It was my choice to attend and my responsibility to follow the rules. 

After shutting down everything for months to come back and say "just wear a mask" is good enough can be rather unsettling

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I can't get past the beginning of this either... All the shifting gears and backpedaling... I was just reading an article that ostensibly appeared near the end of January in the LA Times indicating we needed to worry about the flu but not so much about the corona virus... One of the major sources cited was Fauci... You know, the anointed one... Of course, he said it needed to be watched carefully, but perhaps had the scientists been more cautious in their recommendations to us and to leadership at the front end, we wouldn't be where we are now... Woulda-coulda-shoulda...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linmo wrote:

In my state, tickets are issued for not wearing a seat belt.  The same could be done to enforce wearing a mask.  Businesses here will not let you enter unless you have a mask on.

@Linmo 

In my state in all of 2019 there were a total of 8 seat belt violations tickets issued in the whole state. This was before the virus, and more importantly, before the civil unrest. Logic would suggest to me that this would not be very high on their priority lists at this time.

My opinion of course thrown in with the facts in my state,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)